• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    So, I bought one of those GSG 1911 22lr conversion kits, and finally had time to take it to the range today. Brief review:

Pros:
    • Goes on real easy once you've got the slide stop fitted (see cons).
    • Mags are reasonably priced and go to 14rds when you mod them out of state.
    • Slide locks back on empty.
    • Mags feel super solid, and are easy to load.
    • Mostly reliable with Fed bulk and CCI Minimags.
    • Has the "fixed" GSG 1911 slide with a metal pin for the slide stop to hit... this should reduce the slide cracking problem that plagues GSG 1911s.

Cons:
    • Didn't quite fit my KSN GAL correctly, and had a gap. I think the GAL has short dust cover? No operational effect, though.
    • Had a few (~5%) rounds go nose-up when feeding. Might have loaded the mags incorrectly and had a rim over rim feed failure?
    • Had an issue with a magazine not wanting to eject near the end of my range session. Might have been mag specific? Not sure, need to diagnose further.
    • Had to reduce the diameter of the slide stop pin to fit it in. Couple minutes with a dremel, but I shouldn't have had to do that.
    • You really have to pull back the slide to slingshot the gun into battery. I suspect this will improve over time.

Overall, I'm pleased with it, given that it's only $150 or so. I'd be a lot more critical on the reliability front if I had paid Marvel or Kimber prices for the kit.

Attachments

• IMG_1220.jpg
      IMG_1220.jpg
      64 KB · Views: 822

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Being a rimfire guy I also bought one of those kits. At first I did not think it would work in my Dan Wesson Guardian (Commander type 1911). So I put it aside for a few months. When I got back to it I found I needed to make a few metal corrections, especially a spot on the top of the mags. Once I got that filed down some everything worked fine. I have shot it a few times and it has not had any malfunctions even with marginal ammo. Might be useful as a .22 pistol in a 2-gun rimfire tactical match with either one of my 15-22s or my AR-22. Would make it more of a correct piece instead of using some kind of target .22 pistol.

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    Thank you for the review. I have been thinking about getting a few .22lr kits for the 1911, and wasn't sure which one to get. This seems like a good alternative to AA & TacSol.

Now if I could just find a place that had them in stock! lol

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Some of the nose ups may have been from short cycling, pushing on the edge of the rim then on the side of the case. Energy to cycle the 22 conversions is a huge issue. Using a weaker (lower force/pound) mainspring will help out the cause. Before I used a dedicated frame for my Ceiner conversion I used a separate mainspring housing which stayed with the conversion. This way I wouldn't have to fool with the mainspring and know I would get virtually 100% ignition. The ignition I wasn't getting was the ammo since the firing pin impressions were normal on the misfired cases.

I also used some JB Bore cleaner with oil to polish the rails. barrel/slide interfaces and cocking surfaces. This keeps metal removal insignificant...just polishing it. Cleaned it off and reoiled. Number of rounds between lubing (22 conversions need it) went up significantly.

An EGW high shelf mag catch helps out if you have a problem feeder, too. You'd be surprised how much variance there is in height of the shelf of standard mag catches. Leave this in, it will smooth out the centerfire feeding as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom