• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    This one is from the first batch of M28's that the Civil Guard ordered. It has a SIG barrel, and being one of the first 6,000 rifles made, it also has a "ski trooper" stock. These stocks allowed the sling to be arranged in a manner that the rifle could be slung flat against the body while mounted or on skis.

Overall it's in good condition for a gun that has had little repair or upgrade since early 1928. It's matching on bolt, barrel, and the two digits on the buttplate. It has a SIG barrel that is dated 1927 on the bottom. The best part is there are no SA or D marks, which is a very uncommon thing to see. It's built on an 1895 Tula receiver. This is my first ski trooper and only my second M28. Hopefull I can add more soon.

BA2wRtW.jpg

vefKnWC.jpg

HpbfHqa.jpg

eMqTgwU.jpg

42DZZMD.jpg

wjhrZNd.jpg

YA5JXT8.jpg

3xtN8S1.jpg

ARdqhlD.jpg

3N8HZaS.jpg

trKrlOc.jpg

Ir11aT6.jpg

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    Damn, very nice. Never seen a stock like that before!

Thanks guys. They are not too common. There were only 6,000 originally made with these stocks out of a total production of just over 33,000 M28's. Factor in loss and damage from use in 3 wars and you can imagine there aren't a whole lot floating around. However, I can think of someone around here who has several...

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    You gotta get an official sling on that thing.

I may, if I could find one. I bought some Finnish marked 91/30 slings on ebay and some came with longer straps that actually fit through the double slots very well. So while I may not have an original sling, I can still use the double slot configuration.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    IMO-The double slot M28 is THE sexiest Mosin out there!! :D
    That one is a beauty, Dave! Congrats! I believe the lowest serialed M28 I own is in the 1800 block-so you have me beat by a good amount.
    You snagged a gorgeous example of an uncommon Finn variation.

Just wait till mawkie sees this - he's been trying to track one of these down for quite a few years!

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    Thanks for the comments guys. By the way h2u, here's what the seller described in the auction as being a very dark, rusted, and pitted bore. I think he saved me a lot of money with that description. It looks even better in person. I'll try to get another bore pic later. One guy on gunboards said he didn't bid me up because the description made the bore sound really bad. I was expecting a sewer pipe.
    ujrYaVv.jpg

Last edited:

Ironnewt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2012
    Harford County
    I would think that it should shoot well dispite the "dark, rusted and pitted bore" . Granted it's not pristine but a "sewer pipe" it's not by any stretch of the imagination.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    I would think that it should shoot well dispite the "dark, rusted and pitted bore" . Granted it's not pristine but a "sewer pipe" it's not by any stretch of the imagination.

Yeah, this is the quote from the auction: . I want to be crystal clear when I tell you that the BORE IS VERY DARK; WITH RUST AND PITTING PRESENT."
    I bid despite that description, knowing it probably wasn't as bad as he was describing, or if it was I would be able to clean it up. My picture makes it look darker than it is. It still has a lot of shine. After a shooting and cleaning it should clean up nicely. I have other rifles with actual dark and pitted bores that shoot great.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    IMO-The double slot M28 is THE sexiest Mosin out there!! :D
    That one is a beauty, Dave! Congrats! I believe the lowest serialed M28 I own is in the 1800 block-so you have me beat by a good amount.
    You snagged a gorgeous example of an uncommon Finn variation.

Just wait till mawkie sees this - he's been trying to track one of these down for quite a few years!

Congratulations! Yes indeed, been on the hunt for one of these for a while now. I'll find one eventually. Would help if other goodies didn't distract me (squirrel!) and drain the bank account. :)

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County

Here are a few examples of the correct slings these were issued with. Sorry for not having a full-length shot-I'll fix that this evening ;)
    These, "three-piece" slings are extremely hard to find and about $200 when you do.
    To be totally correct, you'll need to also track down a, "special" rear dog collar that is extra long to give the proper slack for the sling to attach to.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      75.7 KB · Views: 155

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    Here are a few examples of the correct slings these were issued with. Sorry for not having a full-length shot-I'll fix that this evening ;)
    These, "three-piece" slings are extremely hard to find and about $200 when you do.
    To be totally correct, you'll need to also track down a, "special" rear dog collar that is extra long to give the proper slack for the sling to attach to.

Quit hogging them all! Those are really nice. If I come across one I'll try to buy it. One I have one correct sling though I'll have to track down correct slings for all of my rifles...

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Quit hogging them all! Those are really nice. If I come across one I'll try to buy it. One I have one correct sling though I'll have to track down correct slings for all of my rifles...

Don't get started on getting the correct items for every rifle like I did. Then you're going to need the muzzle cover, cleaning kit, and bayonet. That will be another $300+ out the door :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom