• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    What the scoop on the cheap arrows. I recently traded for a Golden Eagle Ultra Evolution compound bow. Its my first bow and I know Its not a brand new PSE but I traded an old rifle I paid 50 bucks for. This thing has a fiber optic sight with peep. It will work fine for screwing around in the back yard which is all Im interested in right now. Im surrounded by woods and the target needs to be at the tree line on either side to get a fair shooting distance. I need arrows that I wont lose my mind when they disappear into the woods while Im figuring out archery. I know learning can be expensive but still I cant be losing arrows that are 10 or 20 bucks a piece until I get this figured out. Any suggestions are welcome. It came with some carbon arrows from walmart. I already lost 2 and one shattered when it hit a branch. I suck so far but have only taken 4 shots. LOL. It came with carbon express wolverine hunter 6070 arrows from Walmart it seems. They are cheap but the walmarts I checked don't have them. Thanks.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Dick's has them. Only a few bucks. Typically brown or green camo. Easton brand Fall Stalker 2117.

These are sold as singles in a box on the floor.

And I hope your getting a reach around after paying 20 bucks per arrow.

Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    Dick's has them. Only a few bucks. Typically brown or green camo. Easton brand Fall Stalker 2117.

These are sold as singles in a box on the floor.

And I hope your getting a reach around after paying 20 bucks per arrow.

Thanks for the tip. Yea I wouldn't pay that much just some that I have seen. Looks like a trip to Dicks is in my future. Anybody can tell me the main differences between aluminum and carbon. The minimum draw on this bow is 65lbs. I don't know how to check it but it feels heavier than that to me.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Doh. Should read the whole post. Those aren't bad arrows. I have Easton platinum something's from Dick's. They've done me well for two years. I got them as a buy one get one half off.

jhcrab

Jun 28, 2012
    Howard Co.
    Start with aluminum arrows at extremely short distances - 5 to 7 yards and work your way to longer distance. You will need to adjust your sights and set your pins accordingly. It will take a lot of practice, be patient. Move up to carbon arrows - they are virtually impossible to bend among other reasons. Get the information that SRD advises before doing anymore shooting or run the risk of damaging bow and injuring yourself.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Walmart has decent arrows, carbons $5-7 each. Aluminum 2117's I think are under $5. Most of the carbons are separated by length 26" 28" etc. up to 31" and by bow poundage 45-70#, 50-60# etc.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    losing arrows is part of it...ive lost countless arrows either missing my target or shooting at an animal and losing them.

but to minimize start out at shorter distance, sight in your bow and work back to a yardage you feel comfortable. I practice at 20yds. I use gold tip brand arrows. They are very forgiving.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I go on ebay and find vendors who sell in lots of a dozen or half dozen with the spine my bow needs. sometimes you have to trim them yourself (they supply the inserts) others will cut to your length.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Dicks has the inexpensive aluminum arrows but I went through them pretty fast as they bend and become unusable once you start getting farther away. I purchased ahead and got 3 boxes but never used the 3rd cause I went to the gold tips. I shot bow in high school 30 years ago so after about 100 shots in about 4 sessions I was good to 30 yards for hunting. More sessions spreading things out is better for practice. It's just how the brain works. So shoot up a box till they are unusable then you will know what you need to buy next.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    What the scoop on the cheap arrows. I recently traded for a Golden Eagle Ultra Evolution compound bow. Its my first bow and I know Its not a brand new PSE but I traded an old rifle I paid 50 bucks for. This thing has a fiber optic sight with peep. It will work fine for screwing around in the back yard which is all Im interested in right now. Im surrounded by woods and the target needs to be at the tree line on either side to get a fair shooting distance. I need arrows that I wont lose my mind when they disappear into the woods while Im figuring out archery. I know learning can be expensive but still I cant be losing arrows that are 10 or 20 bucks a piece until I get this figured out. Any suggestions are welcome. It came with some carbon arrows from walmart. I already lost 2 and one shattered when it hit a branch. I suck so far but have only taken 4 shots. LOL. It came with carbon express wolverine hunter 6070 arrows from Walmart it seems. They are cheap but the walmarts I checked don't have them. Thanks.
    Start close, very close. I was going to suggest wolverine arrows from wally world.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I shoot Beman ICSs. You'll either need 400s or 340s depending on draw length and weight. They are affordable and easy to find and order. Oh, and, stand closer to the backstop.

Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    Thanks guys. Info is helpful. The bow is adjustable and Im not 100% sure how to verify draw length and draw weight. I know its capable of 65-85lbs draw and current arrows measure 32 inches from the end of the field tip to the nock. The arrow itself is roughly 31 inches.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Draw length is easy.

Draw an arrow and hold.

Have someone mark the arrow where it rests on the forward most part of the rest.

Measure from end of nock to mark. Done.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Keep in mind that arrows need to be "sized" to the shooter...

It's similar to buying a suit...

What that means is matching the weight that you draw against the length of your draw & matching the "spline" (stiffness) of the arrow to obtain good & repeatable accuracy...

Take a look at the information available on the Lancaster Archery website...

Different materials (carbon & Aluminum), etc have different spline characteristics...

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/

GlockMafia

Glock and Sig!
    Jul 4, 2015
    Hazard County
    Thanks guys. Info is helpful. The bow is adjustable and Im not 100% sure how to verify draw length and draw weight. I know its capable of 65-85lbs draw and current arrows measure 32 inches from the end of the field tip to the nock. The arrow itself is roughly 31 inches.

Go to Lancaster Archery...as far as being schooled in the basics of Archery, shooting and set-up. Once you understand how everything is measured and how sights / peep are adjusted, you'll be good to go...Good luck, Archery is fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom