• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DrCatt

A Knight Without Armor
    Mar 11, 2013
    Carroll County
    I've collected a few of this and that in terms of C&R items, but the Tokarev never looked appealing. The boxy design and the apparently uncomfortable grip didn't help the handgun's case. (Now we have reports of one totally exploding)

ANYWAY, you guys seem to really like them especially now that ammo is available. What's the consensus on the pro's for owning one?

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I've collected a few of this and that in terms of C&R items, but the Tokarev never looked appealing. The boxy design and the apparently uncomfortable grip didn't help the handgun's case. (Now we have reports of one totally exploding)

ANYWAY, you guys seem to really like them especially now that ammo is available. What's the consensus on the pro's for owning one?

They are a blast (literally) to shoot. They are loud and shoot fireballs. Ammo is available and easily reloadable. I've never felt that the grips are awkward/bulky or that it's an uncomfortable pistol to handle. And, a neat part of history.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    And the guns themselves are pretty cheap. Just got 2 very nice condition (look almost new with great bores) Toks from Classic...a Romanian and a Polish with leather holster, lanyard and 2 mags plus handpick(extra $20) for a total of 249 and 259 respectively, plus shipping. these guys go right along with my Yugo I bought a while back.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    That's the first case I've read about a Tok blowing up. They are very well-made and sturdy pistols. Something malfunction in that case, either the pistol or the ammo, but that is not a normal occurrence by any means.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal

Agree; more Glocks, Ford Pintos and electrical transformers during thunderstorms as well :innocent0. Toks are some of the strongest workhorses of the Combloc countries armaments. If 1 blows I won't give it a second thought; if several hundred are found to blow up, I'll start to give it a thought

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    I thought the same thing about Tokarevs when I first got my C&R license. It ended up biting me in the butt, because I missed out on all the cheap surplus ammo. By the time I actually bought my first one (and LOVED it), the surplus ammo was gone.

I thought they were ugly and looked uncomfortable, but now I have several and it's one of my favorite calibers to shoot and reload for. To me, they feel a lot better in the hand than they look. The 8rd designs do have a bit of a short grip for my hand, which is why I like the Yugo the best since it holds one more round and has a longer grip.

The same thing happened to me with Mosins, thought they looked ugly and boring, now I love em.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    pros of the tok:
    Very accurate so long as nothing's wrong with it
    Hard to make anything go wrong with it
    Easily serviceable if something DOES go wrong with it, hammer pack and barrel are exchangeable and modular
    Very cheap
    EXTREMELY reliable- I've literally only had one hangup in a tokarev ever and that was when I was using an M57 barrel in a 9mm norinco frame, and it only choked on one bullet out of 50 even using M57 mags (9 round) in the regular tokarev (8 round)frame!
    Easily converted to 9mm with a barrel swap
    EXTREMELY potent ammunition, I have seen Prvi Partizan ammunition literally rip a gel block in two, it was ball ammo and it tumbled and yawed like a rifle bullet, squishing the soft lead out the bottom of flattened slug when I recovered it. There is also the fact that it will readily penetrate soft body armor, the absolute best for that being the pointy (spitzer) steel core chinese norinco surplus ammunition that was available for a short time a while ago, I still have a box I got in the early 90s. Out of a 4.5 inch barrel the tokarev fires a .30 caliber projectile nearly as fast as a .30 carbine out of a M1-carbine barrel.
    It looks cool
    It is COMFORTABLE in hand, despite it's looks to the contrary
    It's a piece of history

Cons
    Ammo is currently pretty expensive, but as more and more newly produced cheap romanian steel case ammunition is imported, this will start to not be the case. If we can get a domestic producer, we're in even better shape.

silanehead

Sarcastic Member
    Oct 24, 2012
    Dundalk
    I have one Yugo and it is a blast to shoot. Funny thing is, it is also the one I put on the nightstand when I go to bed.
    Never had a problem with it at the range.
    I prefer the single stack grip, feels very comfortable.

And I wouldn't want to argue with this guy...

Jules1911.jpg

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Also, my petite wife has a Rom Tok that's her favorite of all to shoot--especially when she's at a range surrounded by big guys with Glocks. It goes off and heads snap around with a, "What the f** was THAT?!"

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    I like to think of mine like cheap camping fun guns. I stacked up on the surplus ammo and I still have tons. I can toss one of the toks and a few boxes of ammo in a bag when I go anywhere and I don't have to be stingy about letting my friends shoot it. I love the way they feel in my hand too. Its compact, but it feels as comfortable as a full size gun. Ive fired it into soft ground and it left a hole big enough to fit a golf ball in before. The only negative thing I can think of is the poor accuracy. If I had to stash a gun and some ammo somewhere for an emergency that I didn't mind the risk of losing, it would be one of my toks.

I've always thought there would be a good market for some sort of kit to make it more accurate and not really change the gun or its looks too much, like maybe a replacement barrel and some sort of lighter, smoother trigger? That would make the gun perfect.

I thought about trying to get ahold of one of those Zastava Tokarevs.

Does anybody know if the new production ammo is a big difference in accuracy versus the old corrosive surplus ammo that we all bought back when it was dirt cheap?

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    They are C&R, cheap to buy, and ammo is easy enough to get. No other reasons needed. Time to rock a Tok.

Daddyursus

Trusted Shellback
    Jan 11, 2013
    In a van down by the river
    Toks are like rabbits. They multiple. First was the M57 that I bought in a package deal because I REALLY wanted that Vz-52. Then heck a Romy was only $219. My friend Toolness started talking about his Polish Tok and how great a shooter it was. Well, you know I just had to get one. Blah, Blah Blah...there are now 5 of those fire spitting tools of destruction and mayhem in my safe.

DrCatt

A Knight Without Armor
    Mar 11, 2013
    Carroll County
    pros of the tok:

Easily converted to 9mm with a barrel swap

Heck, that's interesting tidbit if I ever leave the C&R realm.

Toks are like rabbits. They multiple. First was the M57 that I bought in a package deal because I REALLY wanted that Vz-52. Then heck a Romy was only $219. My friend Toolness started talking about his Polish Tok and how great a shooter it was. Well, you know I just had to get one. Blah, Blah Blah...there are now 5 of those fire spitting tools of destruction and mayhem in my safe.

I honestly had no idea they were this interesting. Now I'm glad I consulted you guys.

Well... there goes all my money on Toks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom