• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    Just got done ordering some parts for my AR builds on Amazon, and something came up I was very surprised to see. 80% lowers from Palmetto for $79.99. It was not the price that surprised me but that they were being sold on AMazon at all. I have read recently that Amazon is taking heat for selling firearm components, mostly AR build parts. I have bought lower parts kits, stocks, forearms, sites, etc from them recently. Nice to see the lowers offered, too. May have to get a few before something changes.

Echo

Troublemaker
    Oct 31, 2012
    Annapolis
    They were selling them as "paperweights" to get around Amazons firearm ban. They really emphasized that it was not a complete firearm and only functions as a paperweight in the descriptions. Made no mention of being able to complete it as a 100% lower receiver.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Can any upper be put on a lower that has been cut from a 80% lower? I am interested in possibly doing a build but want to mske sure I do it right and legal.

If it was completed before October first then yes assuming it doesn't violate NFA regs. Completing one now would be manufacturing a banned firearm.

RoboRay

Oct 16, 2013
    If you finish it out of state and put an HBAR upper on it before bringing it back into Maryland, you are legal. Just never put it in a banned configuration while in MD.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Just my $0.02...

10-ft-pole.png

RoboRay

Oct 16, 2013
    1 - Maryland's ban on manufacturing does not apply to places beyond the state's borders.
    2 - Acquiring, importing and possessing HBAR AR15s is legal in Maryland.

If you can buy it outside MD and bring it in, you can build it outside MD and bring it in, so long as where you are building it allows manufacturing. There's nothing gray or sketchy about that. You just need the HBAR upper already installed when you cross the state line.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    1 - Maryland's ban on manufacturing does not apply to places beyond the state's borders.
    2 - Acquiring, importing and possessing HBAR AR15s is legal in Maryland.

If you can buy it outside MD and bring it in, you can build it outside MD and bring it in, so long as where you are building it allows manufacturing. There's nothing gray or sketchy about that. You just need the HBAR upper already installed when you cross the state line.

I would not recommend attempting that. It is a good way to get the MSP very interested in you. Just buy a complete hbar in MD.

RoboRay

Oct 16, 2013
    I would not recommend attempting that. It is a good way to get the MSP very interested in you.

For what, exactly?

Just buy a complete hbar in MD.

If you are in another state and see an HBAR you like, would you buy it "cash and carry" and bring it back to Maryland? Why not? Maryland law does not prohibit HBAR AR15s from being brought in.

Other state's laws allow AR15 lowers to be manufactured and assembled into AR15s. If you build an HBAR there, Maryland law does not prohibit you from bringing it in to the state.

The only issue with 80% lowers and Maryland law is the period of time between when you finish the lower (making it a banned Assault Long Gun in MSP's interpretation) and install the HBAR upper (making it not banned). So, that period of time needs to occur outside the jurisdiction of Maryland law.

DEX

scruffy-lookin nerfherder
    Aug 16, 2013
    Glen Burnie, MD
    For what, exactly?
    The only issue with 80% lowers and Maryland law is the period of time between when you finish the lower (making it a banned Assault Long Gun in MSP's interpretation) and install the HBAR upper (making it not banned). So, that period of time needs to occur outside the jurisdiction of Maryland law.

But isn't that where the gray area lies here? If you take off the upper on an HBAR lower to clean it, have you just made an illegal firearm? If it's the lower being stamped HBAR, couldn't you just put HBAR on your 80% along with your personalized serial for record keeping sake? We won't know the answers to any of these gray area questions until someone has to argue them in court, and personally I know I wouldn't want to be a test case...

RoboRay

Oct 16, 2013
    But isn't that where the gray area lies here? If you take off the upper on an HBAR lower to clean it, have you just made an illegal firearm? If it's the lower being stamped HBAR, couldn't you just put HBAR on your 80% along with your personalized serial for record keeping sake? We won't know the answers to any of these gray area questions until someone has to argue them in court, and personally I know I wouldn't want to be a test case...

If that's your concern, it has nothing to do with 80% lowers at all... just buying an HBAR, any HBAR (since none of them have lowers stamped HBAR to the best of my knowledge, not even the named-legal Colt Sporter), in MD or anywhere else and removing the upper for cleaning while in MD would put you in the same gray area.

I think the AG and MSP would have a hard time trying to convince even the most liberal judge that the intent of the legislation is to prevent non-banned guns from being disassembled for cleaning, however.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    If that's your concern, it has nothing to do with 80% lowers at all... just buying an HBAR, any HBAR (since none of them have lowers stamped HBAR to the best of my knowledge, not even the named-legal Colt Sporter), in MD or anywhere else and removing the upper for cleaning while in MD would put you in the same gray area.

I think the AG and MSP would have a hard time trying to convince even the most liberal judge that the intent of the legislation is to prevent non-banned guns from being disassembled for cleaning, however.

Just like the NJ AG had such a hard time finding a judge to declare transporting HP ammo to your new residence from your old residence is a felony in NJ - because he did not have a stop at a shooting range between the 2 residences.

Swaged

May 30, 2011
    North of North Laurel

HUH ??

Is a picture necessary?

webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie

Your HBAR lower has been registered with the State as an HBAR. So, you can do anything you want with it without making it other than that (ie attaching a non HBAR upper). This is a very murky area in MD law right now, and with the ability to just go and buy a good HBAR for a decent deal, it is not worth it for me to risk being a test case.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Your HBAR lower has been registered with the State as an HBAR. So, you can do anything you want with it without making it other than that (ie attaching a non HBAR upper). This is a very murky area in MD law right now, and with the ability to just go and buy a good HBAR for a decent deal, it is not worth it for me to risk being a test case.

My point exactly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom