• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Armati

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 6, 2013
    Baltimore
    Yeah. I guess someone should tell DEVGRU that their MP7's in 4.6mm is a terrible idea too. :rolleyes:

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. And the Naval Special Warfare Development Group is just that - a development group. It vetts systems for wider deployment across the force. I am pretty sure the jury still out on the MP7. Of course time will tell. By the way, only Airsoft fanboys, SOF wannabes, Keyboard Komandos call it DEVGRU anymore. It is NSWDG in professional circles and has been for some time.

Here, check this out:

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2007smallarms/5_9_07/Armstrong_12pm.pdf

You will notice the 5.7 was considered by Crane NSWC but was ultimately rejected. And these guys can get whatever they want.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. And the Naval Special Warfare Development Group is just that - a development group. It vetts systems for wider deployment across the force. I am pretty sure the jury still out on the MP7. Of course time will tell. By the way, only Airsoft fanboys, SOF wannabes, Keyboard Komandos call it DEVGRU anymore. It is NSWDG in professional circles and has been for some time.

Here, check this out:

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2007smallarms/5_9_07/Armstrong_12pm.pdf

You will notice the 5.7 was considered by Crane NSWC but was ultimately rejected. And these guys can get whatever they want.
    You're the best bro. Tell it again.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Ive always been intrigued by the AR57. Sure I would like a PS90 if I could get one in pre-md or wanted to go SBR. Pricing isn't half bad on the PS if you know where to look.

What I like about both is he inline nature of the magazine and capacity. You also can keep from leaving brass droppings with a gutted AR mag.

Someday when I get enough extra money Ill give it a try, a 9mm upper for my lone wolf set-up is next.

Definitely agree that its a bit boutique but I suspect we all have our share of boutique guns. Frankly, if we wanted to stick to need we probably could get everything done that needs done for 4 or 5 calibers max.

Armati

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 6, 2013
    Baltimore
    So, to recap:

To the OP, no, owning a 5.7 upper is not worth it. Almost any other AR upper would be better.

The .22 WMR has more impressive terminal ballistics.

No LE agency or .mil users trust their life to the 5.7.

The 5.7 fanboys have a lot of emotional investment in this cartridge.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    So, to recap:

To the OP, no, owning a 5.7 upper is not worth it. Almost any other AR upper would be better.

Newbs gonna newb.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    So, to recap:

Thanks for the expertise.

I think we have a thread discussing the ban of chocolate or something like that elsewhere you might chime in on.

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    Thanks for the expertise.

I think we have a thread discussing the ban of chocolate or something like that elsewhere you might chime in on.
    Yummmmmm chocolate!
    Oh - I have a lame AR57 that I'll bring when we finally get out and go shooting! It's a bunch of fun to do a 50rd mag dump.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I think the AR57 makes perfect sense in home defense rifle, it was meant for more close quarters work. The biggest plus is if you want to bring 50 rounds to a home defense situation with a standard AR you are going to carry at a minimum 2 mags and have to deal with balance issues. given most people will be familiar with one's gun enough to handle the balance issues. The only real drawback is the ammo can be scarce at times. To Armati I guess everyone should be using slug shotguns since "bigger" evidently means "better"

Armati

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 6, 2013
    Baltimore
    Can any of the 5.7 fans offer any real world terminal ballistic data causes you to support this cartridge over nearly everything else available?

Are you familiar with the work of Dr. Gary K. Roberts? I think he has actually tested and evaluated this cartridge more than just about anyone else. Again, can anyone explain why no professional users have adopted this round?

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    I have both the pistol so I used one of my lowers for the ar57. I love it but I also like my lwrc's in 556 and 6.8. fifty rounds at time is still fun and you don't have to pick up the brass.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Why in the fvck does anyone need to justify their own purchases/decisions in firearms.

IDGAF who does or doesn't use the round, IDGAF if someone thinks it's completely useless. I buy what I want, you buy what you want - I have my reasons, you have your reasons.

End.Of.Fvcking.Story.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Can any of the 5.7 fans offer any real world terminal ballistic data causes you to support this cartridge over nearly everything else available?

The OP's question was are AR57 uppers worth it? Not if it has the best terminal ballistics in comparrision to other cartridges. It's a fun unique upper and "worth it" in my option. My .22 upper for the AR are also fun and "worth it", despite its terminal ballistics relative to nearly everything else available.

sykesville

Ultimate Member
    Why in the fvck does anyone need to justify their own purchases/decisions in firearms.

IDGAF who does or doesn't use the round, IDGAF if someone thinks it's completely useless. I buy what I want, you buy what you want - I have my reasons, you have your reasons.

End.Of.Fvcking.Story.

Of course, but it's worth reading the thread to at least see the opposing opinions and maybe learn something about the subject at hand. If this hadn't come up, I wouldn't have known there was such a thing as an AR57 upper. Now I'd also like to find out more about AR pistols in 5.7, so I give a fvck what the opinions are :D

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    The whole premise to the 5.7x28 was to give transport crews a firearm that'd be smaller than a M4, but just as lethal (out to lets say 150/200 yards).

The 5.7 in pistol form is an interesting bird simply because it has very little straight-line drop to and beyond 100 yards.

The 5.7 in rifle/sbr/bullpup form is nice because it may be a smaller round, but you're packing 50 of them per magazine - and there's very little recoil. Strait down ejection is also nice since you're not throwing hot brass all over yourself or other guys in the stack.

I was looking into the 5.7 awhile back, but at the time the ammo was a bit harder to find and more expensive than 5.56, so I let that idea go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom