• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    very interesting...

Who May Hunt Without a License
    It is unlawful to hunt without a valid hunting license in your possession unless you are exempt from this requirement as described in this section. You are not required to possess a hunting license or stamps (except the Maryland Migratory Game Bird Stamp, the federal Migratory Bird Hunting and Conservation Stamp, and a Furbearer Permit) if you are:
    A resident of Maryland (and their spouse) who owns property and who hunts only on that property.

This also applies to:

the landowner’s children and grandchildren if they are under the age of 16; and
    the landowner’s children and grandchildren, and the spouse of the children or grandchildren, regardless of age, if the child, grandchild, or their spouse, lives on the property, has worked on the property for at least 30 days during the preceding 12 months, or manages the property. Each person must individually qualify under these criteria. To qualify for this exemption a landowner does not need to live on the property but must be able to prove ownership.

A person (and spouse) who:
    holds land under lease for agricultural purposes (or a sharecropper); and
    lives on this farmland; and
    hunts only on this farmland.

This also applies to:
    the lessee’s children and grandchildren if they are under the age of 16; and
    the lessee’s children and grandchildren, and their spouses, if the child, grandchild, or spouse of the child or grandchild, lives on the property, has worked on the property for at least 30 days during the preceding 12 months, or manages the property.

A nonresident (and spouse) who owns a contiguous piece of farmland that is in both Virginia and Maryland may hunt on the Maryland portion of his or her property without a Maryland hunting license, if the person’s primary residence is on the Virginia portion of the property. This also applies to the owner’s children and grandchildren if they are under the age of 16.
    A Maryland resident serving in the United States Armed Forces while on official leave in Maryland (whether stationed in Maryland or outside Maryland). You must possess a copy of official leave orders while hunting. See Hunters in the Armed Forces in the following text.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/huntersguide/license.asp

Am I reading wrong or are you not required to buy a license to hunt your own property as long as you don't leave it?

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    As I understand it, as long as it is otherwise legal (in season), this is the case. But I have not hunted in years and never in MD. I just called DNR last year to get the dope in case I wanted to.

I'd also like to hear the experiences of others.

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    You are not required to buy a liscence for your own rented, leased or owned property. I've done it, no problem. If you hunt deer or turkey, you should tag it, same a liscenced hunter and check it in using you name and addy.. IIRC, they used my driver's liscence for ID..

angler

Mar 30, 2010
    Same goes for fishing. No license required if you are fishing water that is private.

CHUNKERMD

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    West MD
    Farm owners typically do not need a hunting license and may apply for crop damage permits to harvest a certain number of doe's 365 days a year.
    All must be tagged.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    You're reading right, been like that for years. Ahemmmmm, I know of people stationed here that had "dummy leave papers" gratis of their CO for the entire hunting season. :o:innocent0

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    Shouldn't need a hunting license to hunt private property either. Especially where there is no public hunting land for miles.

Question:
    Dose the game (Fish) stay on the said property all the time? (Captive)
    Answer:
    If not, it may be subject to the ruling of DNR regulation!

fogman

You must own the land and be a MD resident to hunt without a license. Out of state residents who own property in MD must purchase a hunting license. You can also be the child of/grandchild of/ or spouse of child/grandchild and work on the land or manage the land. You must go to a license dealer and pick up a big game harvest record to tag deer and turkey.
    The year before last DNR tried to get rid of the rules allowing you to hunt without a license. Half way thru last season they reinstated the rules but made the addition of having to work on the land or manage the land.
    Lucky for me my father in law owns 10 acres od woods behind his house on the eastern shore. I spend my required work hours cutting downed and dead trees for firewood. Gives me a chance to scout out the good deer trails and squirrel hunting areas.

mackie

Dumb Farmer
    Jan 7, 2009
    Cecil County
    You're reading the regulations right I have been hunting on my family farm for the last few years with out a license, I'm going to get one this year because I plan to get back into goose hunting, and make my donation to the state.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    The only reason I buy my complete set of permits every year is simply due to the fact that I don't hunt only the private farm in La Plata/Ripley. I don't think my father has ever bought a permit except for the WV and Canada hunts in the 70's-80's I buy my MG shooting range ticket only because I don't like to shoot targets during the hunting seasons, target shooting is off limits between August and April LOL

My Grandfather and uncles never bought permits for the family farms in St. Mary's between Redgate and Callaway.

jd77v17

Dec 12, 2014
    Private land = Same season?

If you hunt on your private land can you hunt year round or still have to stay in season? Sorry I'm new and just asking so respect the newbie-ness. :)

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The other prerequisites, besides staying in season:

Unless you hunted prior to 1977, you will need a hunter education certificate.

You must have a DNR id, you get this when you sign in to DNR (before you go hunting).

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    You need a furbearer permit even on your own land, which I think is stupid. I bought a regular lisc with that as well this year since I am trying to get other land to trap on. However I didn't buy a muzzleloader stamp since I only plan to hunt that season on my land. I'm not sure how to check a deer in if I get one, but I figure check in as landowner on any deer I get. Land has my name on deed, but is the 3rd name on deed and does not come up in the SDAT online tax record. It would have to be looked up at the county courthouse or if there's another database. Other 2 names are parents. Would be exempt regardless. I DO manage the property.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    You need a furbearer permit even on your own land, which I think is stupid. I bought a regular lisc with that as well this year since I am trying to get other land to trap on. However I didn't buy a muzzleloader stamp since I only plan to hunt that season on my land. I'm not sure how to check a deer in if I get one, but I figure check in as landowner on any deer I get. Land has my name on deed, but is the 3rd name on deed and does not come up in the SDAT online tax record. It would have to be looked up at the county courthouse or if there's another database. Other 2 names are parents. Would be exempt regardless. I DO manage the property.

As a landowner, when you call the deer in (888-800-0121), you will be asked when the animal was harvested, what was harvested, county number (2 digits), land code (3 digits), and your DNR ID number.

You still have the tagging requirements also.

If you look on your trapping license, your DNR ID is there.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It's all there in black and white. Page 40, Md., Guide to Hunting and Trapping

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom