• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which rifle would you choose? If you could only pick one.

• Yugo SKS, unissued

Votes: 5 6.7%
    • M1 Garand, Service grade

Votes: 61 81.3%
    • Both, because I didn't read your first post.

Votes: 5 6.7%
    • Neither, save you money for something else.

Votes: 4 5.3%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I have no money because of my "home addition from hell" project, but I've never let logic or reality get in my way when I want something. So since I've made so much progress on the project, I feel I deserve a reward. So I might just buy myself a rifle.

But which one.

I like the "unissued Yugo SKS'" because all I have is Type 56 SKS', so that's a possibility.

But I have no "Made in USA" C&R stuff and every time I go look at CMP, they have less to offer. So not owning a Garand is getting to be more and more risky at some point those are going to be history.

So which one?

SKS : Ammo already in stock.

Garand : 'Merica!

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Can you get a Garand barreled receiver and build the rest when funds aren't as tight?

I would like to go this route on day. I have a Garand stock here just waiting to be fitted with parts.

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    SKS but what's your budget?

Max I could go would be the $730 for the Garand. The SKS is only $460ish shipped.

Can you get a Garand barreled receiver and build the rest when funds aren't as tight?

I would like to go this route on day. I have a Garand stock here just waiting to be fitted with parts.

Can you build a complete Garand for less than $730?

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Max I could go would be the $730 for the Garand. The SKS is only $460ish shipped.

Can you build a complete Garand for less than $730?
    Good question. Quick research almost makes it seem like it isn't worth that route...

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

Are you budgeting for Garand ammo (30-06)? Already have enough?

You already have certain sunk costs in the SKS platform such that additional associated costs with a second SKS will be less. As a collector, it's also nice to have two or more related (or identical) items for comparison, in part when showing to others, and in part, if one fails, you have everything in place to use the other to its fullest potential.

You are of course correct that the cost of the Garand will increase faster than inflation the longer you wait. Despite this acknowledgment that you might eventually be priced out of this market (or lose more money to get into it), I'm so far your only 'SKS' vote in the above poll. The other guys favoring the SKS must be on their phones (which don't always show the polls).

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    You now have an excuse to visit north Alabama, CMP south store in Anniston is two hours away. Get your documentation lined up, come down and we'll go buy our genuine Walt Kowalski lawn protectors. Bonus...I have a nice scotch collection to sample.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    The poll says if you can only choose one.

If you are a collector, M1 Garand, hands down.

If you are a prepper/survivalist and this is your only weapon, SKS hands down. and buy Walmart Tulamo.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    A rifle carried by the greatest generation? Or another SKS?

No hesitation, Garand.

DennisCA

Depending on your budget:
    1) If low get the SKS (all though a un-issued Yugo SKS maybe pricy and stock up on ammo.
    2) If you have the money to spend - def get a Garand.

Just as food for though Arcamm - Have you thought about getting a Chinese Type 56 SKS? You can get a decent one for a fairly reasonable price and the ammo is pretty cheap!

I recently picked this sino-soviet type 56 SKS for a decent price:

IMG_0753_zpscmwpkcyg.jpg

(All matching numbers except for the stock; it didn't have any numbers on it)

I've only had it to the range one type but I fired several different types of ammo through it with zero problems.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    1) If low get the SKS (all though a un-issued Yugo SKS maybe pricy and stock up on ammo.

Do you think this stuff is going to get more expensive? I have around 700 rounds and haven't really thought about buying more.

Just as food for though Arcamm - Have you thought about getting a Chinese Type 56 SKS?

He stated that he already has a Type 56 SKS in his initial post.

Here are my thoughts on the Yugo, based on recent experience. I have a Chinese SKS that's all matching. It's in very nice condition as Chinese SKSes go. I recently purchased a Yugo M59 SKS from Dan's. I thought about buying one of the unissued M59/66s from SOG, but I just hate the grenade launcher and rubber butt pad, and I knew that the M59s were a lot less common. I ended up shipping it back to Dan's yesterday because he described it as "original" and just about every part was a replacement with huge gold EP on it. It looked almost identical to my Chinese SKS, so it really wasn't a hard decision for me. I like SKSes and I hope to get a nice Russian example one day, but they don't really speak to me like a Garand, a Mauser, a Swiss rifle, etc. To each his own. As I said above, if you only have room/money for an SKS or an M1 Garand, I'd pick the Garand all day long.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Either a nice, all-matching Russian SKS or a service-grade Garand.

Unmolested Russian SKS's are not easy to find, steadily increasing in value, and have been banned from importation since the 90's. Arcamm, you're about a five-minute drive from me. If you want to see nice Russian SKS's to compare with T56's, PM me.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Garands can be money pits, even CMP guns. Do some checking on part prices and make sure your purchase is not some worn out junk gun. Price out a spring kit. OP Rod, and a barrel on top of the original price. I saw this alot when I was smithing.

I think the Garand is a fantastic piece of American history, but it's damn expensive to get parts for.

If you are a collector, a Garand makes sense, if you are a shooter an SKS is a no brainer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom