• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    That said, as convenient as having an outdoor range I could possibly use be next door to my house (next door in this case being of course a nebulous term), I wouldn't want to live in that kind of proximity to one.

ATTom

Aug 17, 2010
    Anybody going to the hearing at winchester hall? A lot of people and seems about 90% against.....

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Looks like the hearing is postponed? Didn't find out when it's rescheduled. Large number of people downtown milling around the hall (200, maybe more).

ATTom

Aug 17, 2010
    I went... it was ridiculous. Our side really needs to organize and show up in support of this range. The bull sh&t being said at that meeting was unreal....they don't know where the bullets will go... I replied so you don't want a range with backstops , but a deerhunter shooting at deer with no backstop is cool....

Especially with the HQL livefire requirement and Frederick only having one public range...we need to hit these idiots back hard

Yunus

Apr 11, 2009
    Most people in attendance were against the range. Some with valid concerns, some with ridiculous concerns. I never made it into the room but I did get in the building at least. My understanding is that it was postponed, I'm confused as to how that happens.

What I was told by a rep from Sugarloaf Alliance but have no verification other than him and he said that Sugarloaf Alliance met with the owners and had a discussion.
    -Tower would be for Mil/LE use only. The 3 story height was not set in stone, might be higher or lower.
    -144 parking spots total
    -500 yard rifle range would be built
    -All six classrooms could be in session at the same time
    -Max 50 shooters at any one time (I believe this means 50 outdoor shooting positions)

People against the range showed up in mass, everyone I spoke with was polite. When asked if you were for or against the range and wanted a Sugarloaf Alliance sticker a few people responded with the finger. We need to be better than that, I was vocally for the range and many people wanted to talk to me about why I should be against it but no one was rude. Misinformed but not rude.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    Most people in attendance were against the range. Some with valid concerns, some with ridiculous concerns. I never made it into the room but I did get in the building at least. My understanding is that it was postponed, I'm confused as to how that happens.

What I was told by a rep from Sugarloaf Alliance but have no verification other than him and he said that Sugarloaf Alliance met with the owners and had a discussion.
    -Tower would be for Mil/LE use only. The 3 story height was not set in stone, might be higher or lower.
    -144 parking spots total
    -500 yard rifle range would be built
    -All six classrooms could be in session at the same time
    -Max 50 shooters at any one time (I believe this means 50 outdoor shooting positions)

People against the range showed up in mass, everyone I spoke with was polite. When asked if you were for or against the range and wanted a Sugarloaf Alliance sticker a few people responded with the finger. We need to be better than that, I was vocally for the range and many people wanted to talk to me about why I should be against it but no one was rude. Misinformed but not rude.

Most are VERY misinformed. Unfortunately they have been led astray by their own so called knowledgable "leaders". As we have seen time and time again, using EMOTION instead of FACTS.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Who is leading the efforts against the proposed range? What are their interests and who is financing them?

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    THis is a LTE about it which I think is rationale:

We are owners of horse businesses in the Sugarloaf area that will be impacted negatively by the proposed shooting range in the special exception (file BOA #B-14-23).

The location in question has naturally attracted horse properties over the years because of its tranquility, beauty and extensive riding areas. Horse riders need a calm, quiet place in which to ride. This is because a spooked horse is a dangerous horse. Horses are prey animals and as such have a strong flight instinct. When spooked by noises such as gunfire, they can hurt themselves, damage property and injure those who are on them in order to get away.

Our clients would be faced with the prospect that every day, when they ride their horses on our properties, they will not know when/if their horse might spook due to gunfire noise. It will become a distraction and a burden for them. This constant threat will drive our clients away, both external (clients who trailer in to use our facilities) and internal (boarders). We believe our businesses will suffer to the point of shutdown over time, because no one wants to ride a horse where gun noise is present. It is simply too risky. Our clients will go elsewhere.

This matter boils down to a location issue. The affected neighborhood — densely populated with residences, horse properties and businesses — is not the place to locate a commercial firing range operation. We will ask that the Board of Zoning Appeals disallow this special exception on the basis that it creates a dangerous environment for our clients, threatens our businesses and is simply incompatible with the natural quiet and beauty of the Sugarloaf Mountain area.

I also write on behalf of Vicki Bazan, Saddleview Ranch, and Karla Stoner, Bloomsbury Forge.

MARGY SIMP

If I were a biz and was truly concerned it would shut me down I would be worried as well. My question is can they truly muffle the sound?

Dingo3

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2013
    Fredneck
    Montgomery County Police has it's outdoor range off of Elmer School Road in Dickerson. This facility is across the street from the NIH Animal Facility and a next to various horse farms that offer boarding and trail rides. To my knowledge, there has never been a problem. My parents still live very near there and you can hear the shots quite clearly. They, as well as others in the area, have horses and livestock. Again, the noise has never caused an issues with the animals.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    The sound can be reduced to a manageable level. Have you ever driven down the highway and seen the sound walls on the sides? The same can be done with high berms on at least 3 sides of the shooting areas which would also be safer in the case of an accidental discharge. So yes it can be done. Whether they will listen to reason or not is a different story. What I don't understand is that I have been in that area and can hear gunshots almost every time I have been there.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    Montgomery County Police has it's outdoor range off of Elmer School Road in Dickerson. This facility is across the street from the NIH Animal Facility and a next to various horse farms that offer boarding and trail rides. To my knowledge, there has never been a problem. My parents still live very near there and you can hear the shots quite clearly. They, as well as others in the area, have horses and livestock. Again, the noise has never caused an issues with the animals.

Pretty sure that's outside of Poolesville toward the river, not Dickerson.

Dingo3

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2013
    Fredneck
    It's between Poolesville and the river. The ZIP Code is 20842 which is Dickerson and mail goes through the Dickerson post office. I know it doesn't seem like it should be, but that's the case.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    It's between Poolesville and the river. The ZIP Code is 20842 which is Dickerson and mail goes through the Dickerson post office. I know it doesn't seem like it should be, but that's the case.

You learn something new everyday. I agree, I don't know anyone living over by the BCC Izaak Walton league that has horses having issues with the IWLA range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    KD96

Latest threads

Top Bottom