• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tomh

Jul 21, 2008
    Well, settlement is over and I'm the proud owner of an 83 acre property in Halifax County Virginia.

The houses (two of them) are a bit of "Fixer-uppers," but they are suitable to live in, and there's a great deal of privacy, you can't even see but one other house (and only if you stand in a very particular spot on the property.)

Mostly surrounded by hardwood forest. It sits on the line between Virginia and North Carolina (which will pose some problems, since there is no Virginia Street Address! <grin>). (But Virginia gets the taxes, since it's all in Virginia.)

Haven't seen any wildlife yet (unless you count box turtles (3), rabbits (3) or snakes (1) and countless birds). Supposedly a lot of bear in the area, and we've heard turkey nearby and seen deer and turkey not far away. I'll be putting up some game cameras soon, and considering a feeder.

Still have to figure out all the intricacies of becoming a resident (*my spouse remains trapped in the communist state of Maryland until she can retire). And I will be travelling between MD and VA, but I plan to become a VA resident soon.

We haven't had the first ceremonial shot in the backyard yet, but we will soon. First thing we have to finish is cutting the 5 or 6 acres of grass which hasn't been cut in 6 years and is about 3-4 feet high. It's a chore, and I'm a bit leery of discovering copperhead or water moccasins underfoot as well (there is a stream and pond on the property).

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Are you near Virgilina?

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    wow sounds like an awesome place, envious of 80 acres, definitely would have a shooting range and a mx track/trail.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I believe so, nearest post office appears to be Alton, VA.

You're pretty far west of my old stomping grounds. Nice area down there, but a little too flat for me.

tomh

Jul 21, 2008
    I am happy for you Tom, Jealous but happy.

I have been jealous over others. And this is the second property considered, the first sale fell through.

If there's a will, there's a way. When the will is strong enough people will find a way.

The only problem with my situation that seems severe is that my wife must continue working (Fed Govt) for another 5 years before she can retire, and she really wants to be down at the new property.

One of the first really neat questions she asked: "Is it legal to carry a handgun on your own property, like in the backyard?"

And during the real-estate sessions with the real estate agent, we both continually asked if shooting in the backyard would be a problem. The standard answer was "No way, this is Virginia!"

I think it will take a little while to become less brain-washed.... <grin>

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I believe so, nearest post office appears to be Alton, VA.

One of my favorite places is right down the road. It is called Virginia International Raceway. I am very jealous but happy for you as well. That is some nice country right there. Congrats!

tomh

Jul 21, 2008
    No, I got a commercial grade zero-turn mower. Tractor will show up Wednesday as well.

Not bad for a "city" boy eh? <lol>

I feel a little like Mr. Douglas in "Green Acres"

xref

May 9, 2013
    I cut 2 acres an hour in an exmark lazer z s series 60" deck. 72" and 6 acres would only take 3 hours max. Probably 2.5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tony b

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2012
    Joppa
    1st pass should be with a bush hog if the grass is that high. You never know what could be in the high grass. Congrats and good luck in America.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Enjoy yourself sir.
    I have a sister and a BIL that live outside of Boykins, VA.
    Be careful with your new tractor city boy, They can kill you quick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom