Oct 8, 2007
    any owners out here? worth the price?
    i'm looking at one in .38/.357.
    thoughts?

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    I shot a friends in 357/38...loved it with the standard sights.
    I bought a 30-30, love it also! Looking at skinner sights too.
    Yes, it's worth it.

JCarlton81

Oct 13, 2012
    Severn
    I own a Henry .357/38 and love the quality and craftsmanship. However, I have had problems feeding .38 rounds through mine. I bought it so I could shoot cheap .38 rounds and was very disappointed. From what I understand it requires a shorter throw to feed .38 rounds, so it will require some work from a gunsmith for it to do what I want. Just a consideration.

I also own a Henry 22lr and love it.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    I have one in 44mag....I love it! The only issue for me is the stock is a little long for my liking but it also means I can cycle the bolt without picking up my head. Oh, did I mention I love it?

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    I own the 30-30,.44,357/38,22 . all very awesome rifles, except the .44,which is my fave even though I have broken the outer magazine tube at least 3 times last year, I mean I do put about 600 rounds a month through it.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    I own the 30-30,.44,357/38,22 . all very awesome rifles, except the .44,which is my fave even though I have broken the outer magazine tube at least 3 times last year, I mean I do put about 600 rounds a month through it.

How did you manage to do that multiple times? Also, have you tried .44sp through it or just .44mag? I've been giving that rifle a long, hard stare.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.

I think you're the second one that's had problems with the tubular magazine. If so that gun may have some serious issues.

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    How did you manage to do that multiple times? Also, have you tried .44sp through it or just .44mag? I've been giving that rifle a long, hard stare.

I shoot the living sh$t out of that rifle as do my friends when we do our monthly outings to free america aka PA. I only run 44 mag through it. I know whats breaking it, the recoil from being fired so much. I dont think Henry anticipated someone putting their rifles through so much ammo as I do. its a great accurate and fun rifle to use. don't discount it based upon on my results.

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    I think you're the second one that's had problems with the tubular magazine. If so that gun may have some serious issues.

the rifle is fine its just the thin steel used for the mag tube. I'm sure its not meant to be fired as much as I use it.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    the rifle is fine its just the thin steel used for the mag tube. I'm sure its not meant to be fired as much as I use it.

Modern firearms especially at the price of that weapon should shoot almost until the bore is smooth. If the mag tube is that thin they should recall it and make it right. If yours is typical they have a design flaw but I suspect it may be your particular gun than the norm. At least I hope so.... that magazine should last almost forever..

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    Modern firearms especially at the price of that weapon should shoot almost until the bore is smooth. If the mag tube is that thin they should recall it and make it right. If yours is typical they have a design flaw but I suspect it may be your particular gun than the norm. At least I hope so.... that magazine should last almost forever..

that was my thinking, Ive read of others having the same issue with the .44 from henry on other forums. they keep replacing the tube for me so I can only guess that its me using it too much. I just carry duct tape with me so I can secure the rod in the outer tube.I sent henry the pics of the breakage and tape all over the rifle...they weren't too happy. I will say they replace the fore and butt stock everytime its sent in for service and polish the brass for me.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    that was my thinking, Ive read of others having the same issue with the .44 from henry on other forums. they keep replacing the tube for me so I can only guess that its me using it too much. I just carry duct tape with me so I can secure the rod in the outer tube.I sent henry the pics of the breakage and tape all over the rifle...they weren't too happy. I will say they replace the fore and butt stock everytime its sent in for service and polish the brass for me.

Thing is it's a BEAUTIFUL rifle shooting a pistol cartridge. :sad20: The 30-30, 45-70 and 444 Marlin have INFINITE more recoil. A 44 Mag should be a piece of cake for it, I haven't shot nearly as many rounds as you but my Puma Model 92 clone hasn't any feed or shooting problems and I bought it maybe 5 years ago. :shrug: I dunno, design or alignment problem??????

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    Thing is it's a BEAUTIFUL rifle shooting a pistol cartridge. :sad20: The 30-30, 45-70 and 444 Marlin have INFINITE more recoil. A 44 Mag should be a piece of cake for it, I haven't shot nearly as many rounds as you but my Puma Model 92 clone hasn't any feed or shooting problems and I bought it maybe 5 years ago. :shrug: I dunno, design or alignment problem??????

I'm not sure either, I love the rifle as do others who go for the 44 before the 30 30 or the 357/38. its frustrating when I'm on my mark hitting everything on perfectly and then it breaks. I'd almost be ok with them (henry) replacing it.but I like this rifle and the way I have the sights set. maybe the third time is a charm?:sad20:

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I'm not sure either, I love the rifle as do others who go for the 44 before the 30 30 or the 357/38. its frustrating when I'm on my mark hitting everything on perfectly and then it breaks. I'd almost be ok with them (henry) replacing it.but I like this rifle and the way I have the sights set. maybe the third time is a charm?:sad20:

Lol, you can always set sights.... if they made the offer to replace that would obviously be the way to go. I went through at least 3 or 4 wildlgame innovations cameras, they kept sending me new ones. They eventually upgraded it and it's been going for a couple years now without a hitch.

Not only do you have a ton into the rifle but shipping too by now and aggravation. I feel for you, maybe time for them to do you right and replace it. Maybe some of our legal eagles will give you some direction?

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    any owners out here? worth the price?
    i'm looking at one in .38/.357.
    thoughts?

I don't have a Henry in 38/357, but I do have a Winchester/Miroku 1892 carbine in that caliber, and shooting this lever makes one feel like a kid again. :D

It has skipped ahead of a Mini-14 (different satisfaction - but also grin inducing), a 22LR lever, and a 10/22 when I want to select a fun rifle to take to the range (in addition to a rifle that I might be sighting in, wanting to get more proficient with, etc).

That being said, as some have mentioned upthread, a bigger round may be worth considering.

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    Lol, you can always set sights.... if they made the offer to replace that would obviously be the way to go. I went through at least 3 or 4 wildlgame innovations cameras, they kept sending me new ones. They eventually upgraded it and it's been going for a couple years now without a hitch.

Not only do you have a ton into the rifle but shipping too by now and aggravation. I feel for you, maybe time for them to do you right and replace it. Maybe some of our legal eagles will give you some direction?

its all ok, they pay for shipping both ways and all repairs. maybe I'll pickup a Puma as well, that way it'll take off the load on the henry.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    its all ok, they pay for shipping both ways and all repairs. maybe I'll pickup a Puma as well, that way it'll take off the load on the henry.

That can't hurt either.... I REALLY love the mechanics of a 92. :thumbsup: Kudu's to them for paying the freight.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      110.2 KB · Views: 111

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan

I'd like to think you're joking, but your not.

A $900.00 rifled should run forever without a hitch.

Especially a $900.00 lever action which has very little wear and tear when being cycled.

What people are describing is a serious design problem, but as long as folks are buying it, why should Henry incur the research and development costs to fix it.

And for $900.00 it should be port fed. Not Marlin Model 60 fed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom