• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    Not necessarily. A ittle better range and bullet choice, with the 30.06. Not that I know a lot about either. I've got one deer rifle, and it's a .308...

Dec 22, 2014
    Thx. I know they're similar and yet they are different and each has its own advantage. Just thinking that it doesn't make sense to buy another "deer rifle".

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    A .308 has about 95% of the performance of a 30-06 I've taken deer with both. I use a 165 gr Speer hallow point in both. I made 20 rounds took 3 deer and have 17 left.

All that being said if you can afford it then go for it. if not I would goet something else. If I were to get one rifle it would be a .270 lots of choices. Don't own one myself.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I use a Tikka T3 Lite for Elk in 30 06 because im a fan of 30 06. Honesty both will serve you well. Especially with those little white tail. Plenty of available loads in .308 too. Toss up.

sandeman

Jun 19, 2008
    Pasadena
    Should I buy another rifle for long distance shooting.

This has been a question that I would like answered also.Why in long distance shooting the .308 caliber is most popular.In North American hunting the .30-.06 is the recommended caliber.I have a Remington 78 with .30-.06. Educated opinions appreciated.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    No need as far as cal per se. Now if the RIFLE itself has features or qualities that you like or prefer , they feel free to procede on that basis.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I don't think the 30-06 is different enough from what you have. Neither are the 260, 270 or 280. I'd go down or up; as in 25-06 or 300 WM.

This has been a question that I would like answered also.Why in long distance shooting the .308 caliber is most popular.In North American hunting the 30.06 is the recommended caliber. I have a Remington 78 with .30-.06. Educated opinions appreciated.

I have opinions but I don't know how expert they are.

The 308 has replaced the 30-06 as a military cartridge. There is more surplus 308 available than 30-06 these days and more AR10 platforms. The younger veterans may have had experience with the 308, the 30-06 was their dad's, or granddad's cartridge. To a deer the ballistics are nearly the same, so in a smaller package, and a short action, it is more efficient than the 30-06. That makes no difference to the deer, by the way.

Traditionally the 30-06 is loaded in a wider variety of bullet weights, although after multiple ammo shortages, I don't know how easy it is to find a complete range of bullet weights in your average LGS these days. I suspect the middle weights are the ones that are stocked.

Hunting costs are not what they used to be. If you are going to book a brown bear hunt in Alaska, it going to cost many thousands of dollars. You could bring the 30-06. Everyone else in camp is going to have a 3xx magnum. Would you cheap out on your rifle and just buy a box of 220 gr 30-06?

So, the gun writers get paid for doing what we do everyday here in Water Cooler, mental masturbation in print. There isn't one correct answer but if you can pontificate for a 2 page article in a gun rag, you can make a living.

sandeman

Jun 19, 2008
    Pasadena
    I don't think the 30-06 is different enough from what you have. Neither are the 260, 270 or 280. I'd go down or up; as in 25-06 or 300 WM.

I have opinions but I don't know how expert they are.

The 308 has replaced the 30-06 as a military cartridge. There is more surplus 308 available than 30-06 these days and more AR10 platforms. The younger veterans may have had experience with the 308, the 30-06 was their dad's, or granddad's cartridge. To a deer the ballistics are nearly the same, so in a smaller package, and a short action, it is more efficient than the 30-06. That makes no difference to the deer, by the way.

Traditionally the 30-06 is loaded in a wider variety of bullet weights, although after multiple ammo shortages, I don't know how easy it is to find a complete range of bullet weights in your average LGS these days. I suspect the middle weights are the ones that are stocked.

Hunting costs are not what they used to be. If you are going to book a brown bear hunt in Alaska, it going to cost many thousands of dollars. You could bring the 30-06. Everyone else in camp is going to have a 3xx magnum. Would you cheap out on your rifle and just buy a box of 220 gr 30-06?

So, the gun writers get paid for doing what we do everyday here in Water Cooler, mental masturbation in print. There isn't one correct answer but if you can pontificate for a 2 page article in a gun rag, you can make a living.
    Thanks for the information.

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    Would it have made a difference to any of the deer you have taken with the .308 ?

This is a great question. For me my answer is no. I have taken many deer with my 308. Also have a lot of buddies that hunt with ot 6's. The consensus within my group is very little difference with the two rounds. In my opinion the deer don't know the difference.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If you're looking for a second deer rifle, why not either go up the scale or down the scare. 300 WSM or 25.06?

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    A waste? Yes and no. It really depends upon why you're buying a second rifle in a very similar chambering.

Your .308 Winchester is all the deer rifle you'll ever need. If you owned a .30-06 instead, it would likewise be all the deer rifle you'll ever need.

I've always wanted a backup gun on hunting trips. More than once, I was glad I had one too. You drop a rifle. You damage your scope. You lose a magazine. You discover a function problem. The need isn't typically frequent, but neither is the need for a spare tire.

For me, and in trying to fill another niche that I wanted to fill at the time, my backup was oftentimes a .243 Winchester. Great varmint rifle that's also heavy enough for deer with selective shots. A fun and accurate gun that one can shoot all day long was an added bonus. I'd oftentimes alternate between the .243 bolt and a .30-06 pump. I love slide actions for hunting generally....always did. That's just me. I wouldn't have hesitated to grab a .308 Winchester either. Just didn't own one at the time, nor did I see a need for one with strictly deer hunting in mind.

You just need to give some thought to what primary purpose your next rifle will serve. And if you have the desire to do so, can your next purchase serve more than one desired purpose? And hell, if you simply want another rifle, then that's reason enough in and of itself to buy one. I doubt you'd find many here to talk you out of that either. This bunch can rationalize damned near anything when it comes to firearms.....myself included.

The bad news is that some immediate choices regarding firearms purchases can make more sense than others. The good news is that it's still America, and that means it's still your money to pay the man with, and it's still your choice in what you decide makes the most sense for you. Good luck!

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Why is this in the Comments and Suggestions section?

As for the OP, I'm going to agree with some of the others and say go bigger as the 30-06 Springfield is not that big a bump from .308 Winchester to warrant another rifle.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Why is this in the Comments and Suggestions section?

As for the OP, I'm going to agree with some of the others and say go bigger as the 30-06 Springfield is not that big a bump from .308 Winchester to warrant another rifle.

Noob mistake.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Why?

Not everything has to be tactical. Plus, a 30 06 will give you an edge in some situations and has a broader load selection for hunting than .308. FWIW I own both, and have hunted with both. Not in a tree stand either...

Read the question by jimbobborg again. He asked ''why is this in Comments and Suggestion section?''

Read people!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom