• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMBobbyOP

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2011
    PA
    Hi guys,

I inherited this shotgun from my grandfather. Its a bolt action 12ga, a Mossberg 395KA. Its been sitting idle for probably over 20 years now. Just posting to show it. I'm not sure if it would be safe to shoot or not. The safety appears non-functional. Anyone seen one of these?

2zjf6zc.jpg

2ll0h6s.jpg

34ooh2p.jpg

15zp6jn.jpg

34hbf47.jpg

2djzcqr.jpg

aontbm.jpg

2zfpons.jpg

hock

Jul 17, 2012
    I also have the 395kb, but really it was quite useless to me as it was so I took the barrel length down changed the stock and drilled and tapped the receiver for a weaver mount and scope, and now I have a new slug gun. The only pict i have at this point with the scope was taken with my cell.

Attachments

• file.jpg
      file.jpg
      10.3 KB · Views: 1,803
    • photo-1.jpg
      photo-1.jpg
      11.1 KB · Views: 1,939

BigMBobbyOP

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2011
    PA
    very cool. its not rifled right?

I'd like to take it out but I'd like to figure out whats up with my safety first.

Have you tried your setup yet? How accurate is it?

hock

Jul 17, 2012
    correct smooth bore. I just took it out last weekend and it took 5 shots to get it dead on at 50yrds, this weekend I will see what it does at 100. For the 50yrd site in I used 2 3/4 shells. Attached is the pict of the gun before i took it apart.

Attachments

• first.jpg
      first.jpg
      14.3 KB · Views: 2,400

hock

Jul 17, 2012
    the scope is a bushnell banner dusk to dawn 1.5-4.5 plenty for a slug gun. If you plan on going that route it will be tough to find someone to drill and tap for the mounts?? If you have someone drill and tap its going to run you 28-38 a hole (which 4 holes is what you will need) unless you take my route and do it yourself. The two rear holes being the easiest because they are through holes the two front are blind holes needing a bottom tap and they can be a problem. If you are interested I will see if I can get some close up shots to help explain what I did. After searching the net there was only one other person I found that did something similar. Either way I researched it for a while and just recently finished, and let me add that I tested it a number of times with 3 inch shells with sand bags and a string on the trigger, because of mixed opinions of it being safe to do. The most reputable of gunsmiths said yes but I wasnt putting it to my shoulder without testing it! You will also need see through scope mounts because you will not have the clearance for the bolt handle with a regular mount, and you will need two different weaver mounts which I will give you style numbers if you want. It will be a project for you, but after all the research and work I am thrilled that I have transformed this gun.

BigMBobbyOP

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2011
    PA
    I would love to take it up but it might have to wait till I have a house/workshop. I'm in a condo now and no place really to do it. Sounds like I'd need vice and such and I just dont have the means currently.

Also, i need to see whats up w/ the safety. I really want to shoot it though.

Great job on yours. Hopefully I can do something similar at some point.

Did you consider a red dot before the scope at all?

hock

Jul 17, 2012
    no I didnt
    1. because i have a bushnell red dot on my other mossberg, and though I like it I wanted magnification
    2. if you look at the pict of my gun with the scope the distance between the two mounts is too far apart for the red dot. as it is its right up against the front of the scope and the back of the scope.
    3. I could have reversed one of the mount and gained a little space but Im not sure if it would have been enough
    4. doing that the eye relief may have been too far??

hock

Jul 17, 2012
    I just took a better photo of my mossberg 395 ka

Attachments

• 395a.jpg
      395a.jpg
      51.9 KB · Views: 1,096

hock

Jul 17, 2012
    Hey Im right there with ya! If it was on a rack looking the way it was before the renovation or after, I wouldnt purchase it. What I like is that given the limited resources available I transformed a gun that was more useful as a door stop than a piece of hunting equipment, into something that is accurate, rugged, and I did what my local gunsmiths would not.

BigMBobbyOP

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2011
    PA
    looks freakin awsome. i want to do that to mine..

"and I did what my local gunsmiths would not. " - what they didn't want to drill it?

hock

Jul 17, 2012
    Yea one didnt want to drill it at all, he said he didnt think it would be safe, two others at reputable shops said the guy didnt know what he was talking about and said it would absolutely be safe. They then said they didnt want to go through the expense because they didnt know if when opening the bolt it would clear the scope. So i researched what I could about the whole job and took the chance on using the see through mounts so the bolt would clear the scope and it all worked out. I used my neighbors small drill press to drill all the holes straight because if they are not there is a really good chance you will break the tap, and that is a pain in the a ss. The only reason I changed the stock was because there was a crack and it was just going to keep getting worse. It is a stock for a mossberg 695 that has been modified to work with the 395. keep in mind to go to a site called mossbergowners.com and when ever you are ready to take on the job make a post there and people will chime in with suggestions, and if you ever need parts go to havlin sales and service on the net

hock

Jul 17, 2012
    I took almost 4 inch off the end with taking the choke off i think i brought it down to about 22 inches. And I'm shooting federal tru ball 2 3/4 riffled slugs and i have it set at 2 inch high at 50 and it's 2 inch low at 100 it is consistently dead on. I actually thought it would drop more at 100 but that's not the case. Up at my uncles place upstate NY I will never have to worry about 100 if I'm going to sit at a 100 yrd stand I will take my 35

mpsc5by5

May 6, 2015
    Hello

I was googling for a Mossberg 12 gauge shotgun with the c-lect choke. I have a 20 gauge model of the one you have posted on the Maryland Shooters website.

Any chance you still have the shotgun and want to sell it?

Thanks,
    Brett

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom