• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paxfish

Ultimate Member
    Nov 11, 2008
    Culvert & Points West
    In Maryland, can a 16 year old boy, certified via the MD Hunter Safety course:

Put his .22 rifle in a case, sling it on his back, and ride his bike to his squirrel hunting grounds a mile or two away?

Can he place said rifle in the trunk of the car and drive to the rifle range?

What if the rifle is an HBAR match AR rifle?

What if the rifle is an HBAR match AR built on a regular, legal grandfathered AR receiver? Is that an illegal transfer? Or just an HBAR rifle?

These questions came about when I could not attend a match, but my son could. It made me realize that there are a LOT of ways for the law abiding to get in trouble here.

Andras

Aug 12, 2008
    Charles Co.
    § 5-133. Restrictions on possession of regulated firearms.

(d) Possession by person under age of 21 years prohibited; exceptions.-

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, a person who is under the age of 21 years may not possess a regulated firearm or ammunition solely designed for a regulated firearm.

(2) Unless a person is otherwise prohibited from possessing a regulated firearm, this subsection does not apply to:

(i) the temporary transfer or possession of a regulated firearm or ammunition solely designed for a regulated firearm if the person is:

1. under the supervision of another who is at least 21 years old and who is not prohibited by State or federal law from possessing a firearm; and

2. acting with the permission of the parent or legal guardian of the transferee or person in possession;

(ii) the transfer by inheritance of title, and not of possession, of a regulated firearm;

(iii) a member of the armed forces of the United States or the National Guard while performing official duties;

(iv) the temporary transfer or possession of a regulated firearm or ammunition solely designed for a regulated firearm if the person is:

1. participating in marksmanship training of a recognized organization; and

2. under the supervision of a qualified instructor;

(v) a person who is required to possess a regulated firearm for employment and who holds a permit under Subtitle 3 of this title; or

(vi) the possession of a firearm or ammunition for self-defense or the defense of others against a trespasser into the residence of the person in possession or into a residence in which the person in possession is an invited guest.

paxfish

Ultimate Member
    Nov 11, 2008
    Culvert & Points West
    § 5-133. Restrictions on possession of regulated firearms.

(d) Possession by person under age of 21 years prohibited; exceptions.-

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, a person who is under the age of 21 years may not possess a regulated firearm or ammunition solely designed for a regulated firearm.

(2) Unless a person is otherwise prohibited from possessing a regulated firearm, this subsection does not apply to:

(i) the temporary transfer or possession of a regulated firearm or ammunition solely designed for a regulated firearm if the person is:

1. under the supervision of another who is at least 21 years old and who is not prohibited by State or federal law from possessing a firearm; and

2. acting with the permission of the parent or legal guardian of the transferee or person in possession;

(ii) the transfer by inheritance of title, and not of possession, of a regulated firearm;

(iii) a member of the armed forces of the United States or the National Guard while performing official duties;

(iv) the temporary transfer or possession of a regulated firearm or ammunition solely designed for a regulated firearm if the person is:

1. participating in marksmanship training of a recognized organization; and

2. under the supervision of a qualified instructor;

(v) a person who is required to possess a regulated firearm for employment and who holds a permit under Subtitle 3 of this title; or

(vi) the possession of a firearm or ammunition for self-defense or the defense of others against a trespasser into the residence of the person in possession or into a residence in which the person in possession is an invited guest.

Yeah, but none of these are regulated firearms...

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I believe I would just find another adult that is shooting at the match give him a ride there and back.
    That's what my son does when he shoots smallbore.

DanJo

Mar 4, 2010
    Western Howard County
    Paxfish, that's a good question, and one I wondered about when my sons turned 16. They shoot in the 4H shotgun program and go hunting as well. I was always there when they went to 4H or hunting when they were under 16, or they didn't go. Once they turned 16 and could drive themselves it was different. The above rules apply to regulated firearms, not shotguns and unregulated rifles. I have looked in the past, and I could not find anything in Maryland law prohibiting a 16 year old from driving with an unregulated firearm to or from a shooting activity.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    In Maryland, can a 16 year old boy, certified via the MD Hunter Safety course:

Put his .22 rifle in a case, sling it on his back, and ride his bike to his squirrel hunting grounds a mile or two away?

He could but driving would be better.

Can he place said rifle in the trunk of the car and drive to the rifle range?

Yes, no problem

What if the rifle is an HBAR match AR rifle?

Sporting class rifle, never regulated, so basically still fine. The issue becomes if a LEO with limited knowledge happens along.

What if the rifle is an HBAR match AR built on a regular, legal grandfathered AR receiver? Is that an illegal transfer? Or just an HBAR rifle?

Same answer as for the HBAR Match rifle.

These questions came about when I could not attend a match, but my son could. It made me realize that there are a LOT of ways for the law abiding to get in trouble here.

Yes, there are a lot of grey areas, and I have found that most of the jurisdiction have not had the new law codified into their system yet to even be able to right a citation let alone make an arrest for violating FSA2013.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    As for the last question, was the receiver transferred via a Form 77R? If so, the receiver is a regulated firearm, so I would err on the side of caution and say no.

paxfish

Ultimate Member
    Nov 11, 2008
    Culvert & Points West
    As for the last question, was the receiver transferred via a Form 77R? If so, the receiver is a regulated firearm, so I would err on the side of caution and say no.

Yes - although the receiver is no longer regulated, it is banned. There are no more regulated rifles.

It seems that in order for him to shoot a match, he would have to take a rifle that was built on an HBAR receiver that may have....

It's a friggen minefied.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom