• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Shootist in Washington State aren't smiling.

I-594 passed and I-591 didn't

I-594
    This is a gun control measure, backed by large out-of-state donations from Michael Bloomberg, in-state donations the Microsoft triumvirate of local boys (Gates, Balmer, Allen), and other gun control groups. It is ostensibly a "reasonable" measure that is supposed to be about background checks for all gun purchases including private transfers. However if you read the actual initiative text carefully (rather than just skimming the "legislative analysis" linked on the above landing page), you'll see that this is in effect a backdoor registration scheme that will (a) not stop criminals from obtaining firearms, and will (b) massively increase the number of lawful gun owners who accidentally run afoul of the law by mistakenly "temporarily transferring" a firearm to a friend to shoot while n the woods, hunting, etc. This law will absolutely not reduce firearm access by committed/career criminals, but it will enhance further government monitoring of firearm ownership and will increase the number of lawful gun owners who will run afoul of the law through no fault of their own. It is simply a wedge strategy: an early stage of legislation whose goal is to move a step closer to registration and confiscation schemes.

I-591
    This is a defensive measure by pro gun-rights groups in WA state that essentially wants to (a) limit background checks to nothing beyond the current federally imposed system, (b) prevent WA state from intruding into temporary firearm loans to friends or in-laws while you are shooting, and (c) prevent WA state from engaging in heavy handed monitoring and confiscation tactics to enforce this or future laws.

john_bud

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Why do they feel a "recreation" like dope smoking should have no bounds, but an inalienable RIGHT needs to be constrained?

Oh wait, dope smoking turns them into more of a dope!

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    out of the big 7 campaigns Mother Jones identified as must win for the anti gun group (everytown) or the NRA, the NRA won 5/7.

We lost this one and one congressional race in NH I believe. We won the rest including Giffords old seat.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I'm thrilled but the Republican gains were about dislike of the status quo, not people turning out for 2A. It just conveniently helps us. If the Dem voters in this state hadn't been so full of "meh" about Brown, Hogan wouldn't have won.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    I'm disappointed about Washington but I'm also disappointed that hickenlooper and Malloy (and Cuomo) were re-elected. If the gun vote mattered these guys would be on the unemployment line now,

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom