• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike4Maryland

Harford County, MD USA
    Apr 5, 2013
    Very difficult trying to find handgun powders. What do you use and where can I find some? I only shoot 9mm/115 gr. Thanks.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    Powders are generally becoming more available, as is 22LR ammo. You have to check multiple stores, websites on a regular basis.
    I think that the most popular will be the slowest to re appear i.e. W231, HP 38, Bullseye, Unique, and TiteGroup.
    I am presently using 700x which I picked up on the downside of the shortage, and as noted above, others like HS -6 are out there.
    Take a look at your reloading manual for powders for 9mm- then keep your eyes open in the shops.
    DocAitch

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I used 800X for 9mm and would NOT recommend it. Even though there were loads listed in the books. Was fine for 45 ACP and 44 mag.

Last edited:

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Very difficult trying to find handgun powders. What do you use and where can I find some? I only shoot 9mm/115 gr. Thanks.

Depending on where you are in Harford County the following are places you might try for powder. Take your reloading manual to see if it has recipes for what powders you find in stock, Modern Reloading lists 29 different powders that can be used for 115 gr. Jacketed bullets in the 9 mm.

These had pistol powders the last time I was there:
    Village Arms
    http://www.thevillagearms.com/

X-Ring Supply
    http://x-ringsupply.com/

Others to try but haven't been there recently.
    Cameron's Hardware (on the way to Village Arms)
    http://www.cameronshardware.com/

Cabela's
    Christiana (not far from X-Ring)
    http://www.cabelas.com/stores/store_info.jsp?pageName=053
    Hamburg
    http://www.cabelas.com/stores/store_info.jsp?pageName=009

quickdraw17

I'd rather be shooting...
    Jun 24, 2013
    I normally use W231 or HP38 (they're essentially the same powder) for my 9mm loads, but that stuff's hard to come by lately. I managed to find some Titegroup, so I'm going to switch to that for a bit, and try to conserve the W231 and HP38 I have for other calibers.

Hard to beat W231 and HP38 in terms of versatility if you decide to load other pistol calibers.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    I have hear that Pistol Powder is best in 9mm. No experience just hear-say...
    For .45 ... Bullseye is what I use.

I actually load Bullseye in 9mm, 38 SPL, .40, and .45...
    I have had very consistent ammo and the ability to be lazy and not change powder is a bonus. It also makes buying easier.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I normally use W231 or HP38 (they're essentially the same powder) for my 9mm loads, but that stuff's hard to come by lately. I managed to find some Titegroup, so I'm going to switch to that for a bit, and try to conserve the W231 and HP38 I have for other calibers.

Hard to beat W231 and HP38 in terms of versatility if you decide to load other pistol calibers.

FYI WW231 and HP38 are EXACTLY the same powder.

Just a different label.

snake-eye

Jan 27, 2015
    MD
    Try WST for 45 ACP. Great stuff and available in 4 and 8 lb jugs.
    I got the Power Pistol at an auction with some other powders and before I open the container I thought I'd get some input on its use. I don't reload 9 mm. I guess I'm just a big bullet type of guy.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I plan on trying 147 grain bullets for steel shoots. Browsing the loading manuals I see the top velocities are with Blue Dot, HS-6 and its kin HS-7 and AA #7. As usual Unique gives a good medium speed. Since I am looking for about 875 fps, not 1075, I plan on using Unique. If that doesn't work out well, back to Bullseye.

Last edited:

splatt

Apr 5, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    Another thumbs up for WST:thumbsup:
    Works great in 45acp and 40s&w. my brother loads 9mm with it also gets good results.

Recently I've been trying CFEPistol and it looks promising. There was a lot of it around at the Chantilly shows recently. You need to have a few options when your favorites aren't around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom