• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Enzo_Guy

Jul 13, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I have always had excellent service at A&D Pawn in Glen Burnie, no question the best place I've bought guns at. I've never done a transfer so I can't speak to that end, but I typically look for historic collectible type pieces and they have always been fair, honest, and fun to deal with. I say fun because when they're not busy, you can tell the employees are true gun enthusiasts themselves as they seem quite happy to just sit and BS about guns. They have go as far as to pull out the blue book to show me prices on a gun I was buying, they have been fair selling me a firearm at a refinished price because they didn't know if it was original or not, etc. They do carry a license to sell and stock new firearms and I hardly think of them as a "pawn shop" when I walk in (they certainly break the stereotype of pawn shops that deal in guns).

For ranges I have never had a bad day at On Target, I love the place, the prices, the people, and their rental selection.

Now the bad! I have been into The Armory or whatever they call themselves now in Annapolis, I have yet to spend money there and wouldn't recommend them to anyone for various reasons. I will never again shoot at Select Fire in Glen Burnie, I went there once and when I can easily go down the street to On Target for a better range, better service, and better prices I see no reason to ever enter Select Fire's doors again.

dumpling

Jan 23, 2013
    I second Atlantic Guns in Rockville great folks and selection no price gouging during the panic either.

Atec

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    Maryland
    I heard there is a royal dick-ass named Chad at Scotts Gunsmithing. Ill never use that guy.

You heard correct ! And you get your firearms back from him dripping in some type of lubricant :D

That's why I am afraid to pick up my smoke grenade!

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    I've had all good experience with Atlantic, but until I found MDS I didn't even know Engage was there (I'm in MoCo too). I'll be checking both this summer for my next purchase.

Way back when (1988ish?) I liked Gilbert's, but that's another story! ;)

rivertamer

Apr 7, 2012
    MARYLAND
    I have been around the gun biz for quite a long time.....I have had experience at quite a few dealers in this area..... worked at several... was hunting manager at bass pro.... worked at valley gun back in the 80's....... I have several more years of retail experience as well ... gotta admit that my experiences at freestate have always been positive.
    Thumbs up to a great crew.... have had transactions with almost everyone there and it has been great.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Does Scotts do any work on revolvers at all or just 1911's and rifle's?

He does everything.

Scott is a master at everything Gunsmithing Related (No Joke), but he is so busy he has stopped taking in work due to his extensive backlog and the surgery that will put him down for a month.

Reloader

Ultimate Member
    Oct 23, 2007
    Arnold, MD
    He does everything.

Scott is a master at everything Gunsmithing Related (No Joke), but he is so busy he has stopped taking in work due to his extensive backlog and the surgery that will put him down for a month.

Oh, I wish he would have told me that instead of saying he had know way of measuring my cylinder throats. I was like, you don't have a set of pin gauges and he said nope...I kinda left scratching my head...that was about two months ago.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Oh, I wish he would have told me that instead of saying he had know way of measuring my cylinder throats. I was like, you don't have a set of pin gauges and he said nope...I kinda left scratching my head...that was about two months ago.

I don't know of any Gunsmith that would have those. That's something that the factory may have. Why would you want that measured?

We can Measure Rim Gap, Cylinder Gap, Forcing Cone Cut/Angle/Depth, and Cylinder Bore Depth.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    You heard correct ! And you get your firearms back from him dripping in some type of lubricant :D

That's why I am afraid to pick up my smoke grenade!

Did you have someone pick those up last weekend?

Reloader

Ultimate Member
    Oct 23, 2007
    Arnold, MD
    I don't know of any Gunsmith that would have those. That's something that the factory may have. Why would you want that measured?

We can Measure Rim Gap, Cylinder Gap, Forcing Cone Cut/Angle/Depth, and Cylinder Bore Depth.

I know the diameters fluctuate by using calipers and they might be a little tight overall for the barrel diameter. I wanted to get them reamed

Reloader

Ultimate Member
    Oct 23, 2007
    Arnold, MD
    We don't do that, that would be a Factory Request if they even do it.

Maybe I read to much LOL, I seen Brian Pearce do it in a issue of Handloader mag with a set of pin gauges and a reamer from Brownells. According to him the Ruger .45's are known for being off and mine is know different

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Maybe I read to much LOL, I seen Brian Pierce do it in a issue of Handloader mag with a set of pin gauges and a reamer from Brownells. According to him the Ruger .45's are known for being off and mine is know different

Never had anyone in his 30 years of Gunsmithing ask that. I was there when the guys came back and asked Scott and I about your request.

Perhaps some reloaders are doing things differently. Im not saying its not valid, but we have never been asked to do it. It wouldn't be cost effective to purchase reamers to do one job. We can rent reamers but they are often hit/miss in consistency.

Contact the guy who wrote the article or call/email Ruger and ask.

Christian Soldier was great to deal with. Bought my first 2 pistols there at a good price about 12 years ago.
    On Target has good service but prices weren't so great unless your an annual member, then their annual members only sale is a great deal.
    Gun Rack used to be good prices, but they seem to be over MSRP on everything now
    Gun Center is also overpriced these days.
    The Gun Shack in Mt Airy is hit or miss on service. It can range from bad to good depending on who is working and how busy they are. My last 2 visits were positive, but they didn't have what I was looking for.
    Shooters Discount is great. I have yet to hear anyone say anything negative about Lou.

Not really sure if the OP meant FFL for a transfer or FFL to buy from, or both. I used to have Gun Connection handle my transfers until they got jammed up since the madness. They had an extra-low rate for MDS members and were super-efficient. My current transfer is with Lou. I expect the same from him. Of course, no one says anything negative about Lou because . . . well, some of us know what happens to people that say negative things about Lou.

In the past year or so I've bought from Christian Soldier, Gun Shack, Gun Connection, Shooter's Discount, and Gun Bunker up in Shrewsbury. All have been efficient and professional, even allowing for Christian Soldier's variable hours. That's me; YMMV. Also, if you're looking for something you can't find around here, or want to check out a nice assortment of used guns, try Kittery Trading Post in Kittery, Maine. I found them by accident, but have gotten a couple of good deals, one of them an underpriced, under-described S&W 19-4, in the box with tools, papers, factory wrapper, all options and both factory rubber and wood stocks. Very easy to deal with.

cyclelabs

Dec 18, 2012
    Gambrills, MD
    Has anyone had an issue transferring a firearm to a Maryland FFL when purchased from Clyde Armory ? Clyde Armory has a policy of NOT providing a copy of their FFL when shipping outbound. They only follow the law and apparently the law does not require it. Now my gun is at the MD FFL and they want a copy of Clydes FFL and Clyde will not budge ? Now what ?

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    I've bought guns from almost all the local shops and some that aren't around any more. One of my old favorites was Specialized Arms that used to be on Harford road back in the early 90's. I've had good luck with Lou at Shooter's Discount, Gun Connection, and some other local places. My most recent experience was with Engage for the lower pre-order and they were friendly and professional. I haven't bought any new guns from Free State yet, but they are mostly friendly when I shoot there.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Has anyone had an issue transferring a firearm to a Maryland FFL when purchased from Clyde Armory ? Clyde Armory has a policy of NOT providing a copy of their FFL when shipping outbound. They only follow the law and apparently the law does not require it. Now my gun is at the MD FFL and they want a copy of Clydes FFL and Clyde will not budge ? Now what ?

They put their FFL number on the invoice, upper right side of the page. Your FFL can use that to verify it via the FFL Easy Check site.

I have gotten several shipments from them, and you are are correct, no FFL copy. Kind of a bush league move since anybody could get your FFL number and forge a license with even minimal computer skills.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom