• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    you guys are something else.. how can mighty mouse save the day if he cant shoot straight.. give the guy a break..

OP.. welcome!

(goin back to the Asian corner and read the diksionary so can b edumacated n not get jumped on like my fellow flip).

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Welcome. I'm exclusively a collector of Mosins, but I do keep up with some of the aspects of shooting them.

-If you want to keep the iron sights, this tool is awesome and just back into production THIS WEEK. It's made to fit 91/30's - doesn't really work on the carbines.

http://www.scgunco.com/

If you want to go scoped, I'd steer you toward the Scout Mount:

http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirear...ing-Information-and-Current-Availibility.html

It attaches to the firearm without permanently altering it. Scroll down the thread to which ever model you have.

Good luck and let us know how it shoots!

Does anybody know how to accurize a Mosin Nagant? The rifle has never been used. It hits 2 inch groups at 100 yards with huge kentucky windage. How do I fix the sights to match where the point of impact is? More importantly, has anybody used Rock Solid Industries scope mounts?

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    I bought a front sight rail from my sportorized MN and it was HORRIBLE!!! It was so frustrated that I just sold the rifle. I wanted to make it a tack driver and all i got was taxi driver.

Well if you weren't so hukd on fonikz an spok gud emirikan the sales person may have understood what you were trying to say :innocent0

Oct 22, 2010
    Catonsville
    I intend to keep the original sights on this one. However, for my Senior Project I want to buy another one from Cabelas and place a normal PE scope mount on it with a Redfield 4x12x40 scope with Accurange reticle. I also want to shoot it out to 500 yards accurately. I intend to use both as hunting rifles cause I don't have money for a real one. I'm also trying to work on shooting so I can be any Army sniper. How accurate is a regular Izzy 1942 M91/30 out to 500 yards?

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    It's been my experience that often the cause of a Mosin with wandering or poor group placement is a poor fit in the stock. Many of these surplus rifles have been restocked at one or more times in their lives, and often poorly. If you just want to get it more accurate with iron sights, one thing that seems to work is a quick fix for bedding the stock a little closer. Take some cleaning patches, soak them in oil, and place them in between the bottom of the barrel and the barrel channel in the stock. Usually the thickness of one patch in three or four places under the length of the barrel is enough to help bed the barrel down more tightly. Make sure when you put it back together you screw the two action screws in tightly as well. This might clean up your groups some.

If you need a primer on disassembly/reassembly of the rifle, check here at www.surplusrifle.com. I hope this helps.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    And don't worry I do the same crappy language jokes with my grandfather. BTW does anybody know any 1000 yard ranges in the MD area.

There are some long streets in Baltimore City that will fit the bill; the indiginous population shoots there all the time.:sad20:

On the serious side; I don't know of any ranges out to 1,000 yds in MD.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Doesn't Bridgeville, Delaware go out to 1000 yards? I believe there's a range in Pennsylvania, I think 1 1/2 or 2 hours north of Frederick that goes out to 1000. I think DRMSparks can provide info on that one. (I have the info on my other computer somewhere.)

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    Bayonets!

Correct me if I'm wrong and I very well may be, but IIRC the 91/30 was sighted with the bayonet attached. If you have the bayonet, you might want to try shooting your 91/30 again and see if this makes a difference. Granted this doesn't mean squat if you're going to use optics, but it's worth noting if you're checking out accuracy with the irons.

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    I don't think the Mosin Nagant is really a 500 yard rifle (let alone a 1,000 yard rifle). I know you're trying to save money, but a Mosin-Nagant is going to need a large amount of gunsmithing/accurizing to reach that potential, to the point where it's going to be cheaper just to buy a different milsurp rifle that's actually known for its accuracy, or just a used hunting rifle.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    This is what I put together with a little work. Actually more than a little. Was a PITA but the result was worth it. This is an M91, not a 91/30, with an ATI mount and bolt that I modified to actually work well and some other mods I did to it.

(PS-Purists don't hate me. The rifle was already ruined as a collectible when I got it. ;) )

mosin2.jpg

mosin4.jpg

Oct 22, 2010
    Catonsville
    wow
    i dont really like that bullpup design but a great idea
    i realize that a Mosin Nagant is not the ideal long range rifle but i want to get good enough with it so that I can know where the next bullet will go
    and intend to accurize this rifle over the amount of what I paid for it
    I think a a rifle created and molded is better than one that u cant tinker with
    thanks guys for the reviews

Ieatpeople

Dec 15, 2009
    I want to buy another one from Cabelas

i went to cabelas on sunday and saw a mosin nagant on the rack there (actually the only reason i opened this thread). Is that where you got the one you have now?

they had it selling for $99, i was really tempted....

Oct 22, 2010
    Catonsville
    yeah I eat people
    but dont get one off of the used rack
    ask for the ones they have individually packed in the back of the store
    those have never been used despite the fact they were stored in the Ukraine for 60 years
    great gun
    got two inch groups at 100 yards
    must be willing to put effort in to get it a good shooter

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    I have owned 4 Mosin Nagants in my time, two of them I kept. Granted they are not the most accurate rifles but for the money they are the most bang for your buck. They probably will not win you competitions at Quantico or Ft. Meade or wherever you shoot competition unless you spend more than the rifle itself to get it up to that standard, but from off the shelf it will not let you down. It is easy to maintain, ammo is affordable to shoot, and will shoot where you need to shoot. I have tried to give up on it but I keep coming back to it time and time again. Maybe it is the history major in me that recognizes that it has proven its worth in world events and to this day still soldiers along albeit with our enemies but nevertheless is a battle proven rifle from WWI to Iraq and Afghanistan, it is not going anywhere anytime soon. Plus they are a hoot to shoot at least to me.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Step 1: Shoot rifle at neighbor's goat. If miss move to step 2.

Step 2: Rest barrel on rock, hit FSB with other rock.

Step 3: Shoot at neighbor's goat. Repeat if goat not dead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom