• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Less than 48 hours from order to... in my hands...

image.jpg

Fit and finish are great... Action is smooth as silk... Timing is great on both cylinders and the trigger almost pulls itself.

Apr 7, 2016
    My father had this very gun locked away for years. It is in rough shape but I think it could be cleaned up fairly easy. My knowledge of black powder guns is pretty limited. Would anyone be able to guide me to someone who could help me in the cleaning up and finishing of this and maybe even be willing to teach me a bit on loading, shooting etc...... I hate to see it just sitting....Thanks for any help

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    My father had this very gun locked away for years. It is in rough shape but I think it could be cleaned up fairly easy. My knowledge of black powder guns is pretty limited. Would anyone be able to guide me to someone who could help me in the cleaning up and finishing of this and maybe even be willing to teach me a bit on loading, shooting etc...... I hate to see it just sitting....Thanks for any help

First, are you sure it's a Remington 1858 (a lot of civil war revolvers look somewhat similar to one another), second, since you say it was tucked away and in rough shape, is it original or a reproduction?

Also, what accessories did your father have for it?

Apr 7, 2016
    First, are you sure it's a Remington 1858 (a lot of civil war revolvers look somewhat similar to one another), second, since you say it was tucked away and in rough shape, is it original or a reproduction?

Also, what accessories did your father have for it?

To be honest, I can't answer that. I am black powder "dumb" .....it was in an old shoe box. I can get a picture and post it when I get home if that is something you could tell from a pic. It has nothing with it but the gun itself.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    To be honest, I can't answer that. I am black powder "dumb" .....it was in an old shoe box. I can get a picture and post it when I get home if that is something you could tell from a pic. It has nothing with it but the gun itself.

If you could get several with all the markings that would be helpful. Especially the manufacturers name.

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Wish I would have seen this thread back in April...this is the model that started my passion for firearms and collecting. When I was 15 my grandparents gave me a Remington that had been found in the attic of a home that my great great grandparents bought in the '30s. Would love a reproduction some day to actually shoot the gun that got me started in the hobby. According to SRS the SN of this one is bracketed by guns issued to the 16th Indiana Mounted Infantry, so it's possible this one went to the same unit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      68.4 KB · Views: 511

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    That's very nice, in pretty good shape for it's age. Aren't you glad that you didn't mess with it when you were a kid.

:thumbsup:

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Wish I would have seen this thread back in April...this is the model that started my passion for firearms and collecting. When I was 15 my grandparents gave me a Remington that had been found in the attic of a home that my great great grandparents bought in the '30s. Would love a reproduction some day to actually shoot the gun that got me started in the hobby. According to SRS the SN of this one is bracketed by guns issued to the 16th Indiana Mounted Infantry, so it's possible this one went to the same unit.

Nice story, purty pistol! Thanks for sharing.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Damnit saw the 1851 and bought it its on back order but with kit was only 200

Oh and free shipping (saved 17 bucks)

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Everyone should have at least one cap and ball handgun as a SHTF back up. More works better just ask Josey Wales.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Damnit saw the 1851 and bought it its on back order but with kit was only 200

Oh and free shipping (saved 17 bucks)

Call and ask if they'll switch it. They have free shipping going on min. $99 with a code on their website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom