Peruta v. County of San Diego (CCW Case)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Seems premature, they have not decided on the motion to intervene. That would be crazy if they granted en banc on the case, but denied the motion to intervene - who would argue the case? I am sure that would never happen of course.

I don't see Peruta going sau sponte, the CA9 panel wrote the opinion for the SCOTUS to review.

I will place a wager, the CA9 would love to clear their calendar of all the 2A cases with more guidance from the Supreme Court.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Seems premature, they have not decided on the motion to intervene. That would be crazy if they granted en banc on the case, but denied the motion to intervene - who would argue the case? I am sure that would never happen of course.
    Oral arguments would be hilarious if Gore just stood there and shrugged whenever the judges asked him a question. :D

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I don't see Peruta going sau sponte, the CA9 panel wrote the opinion for the SCOTUS to review.

I will place a wager, the CA9 would love to clear their calendar of all the 2A cases with more guidance from the Supreme Court.

Hard to say. There are probably enough anti gun judges on the 9th who are willing to roll the dice and hope for a good panel.

It'll be interesting to see the opposition to en banc. Peruta did not object to the court exercising discretion and allowing Harris to intervene. I suspect Clement wants en banc and Gura doesn't. Probably more than a 50-50 chance of en banc.

Last edited:

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Keep in mind that the sua sponte call for en banc is only for AG Harris to intevene as a party in Peruta. It is NOT a call for en banc for rehearing of the case.

Even if intervenor status were granted, a separate en banc request (and/or a 2nd sua sponte request) would be necessary for rehearing Peruta at CA9.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I think it will be a serious spit in the face to our legal system's idea of "one bite at the apple" if they allow this.

Of course, in cases of 2A rights, none of our legal principals seem to apply.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Keep in mind that the sua sponte call for en banc is only for AG Harris to intevene as a party in Peruta. It is NOT a call for en banc for rehearing of the case.

Even if intervenor status were granted, a separate en banc request (and/or a 2nd sua sponte request) would be necessary for rehearing Peruta at CA9.

No, I think the sua sponte call is for rehearing en banc, not intervention http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/general/2014/12/03/10-5697112-03-2014B.pdf

Before: O’SCANNLAIN, THOMAS, and CALLAHAN, Circuit Judges.
    A judge of this Court having made a sua sponte call for a vote on whether
    this case should be reheard en banc, the parties shall file, within 21 days from the date of this order, simultaneous briefs setting forth their respective positions on whether this case should be reheard en banc.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

The order says that a judge asked for a vote sua sponte. No petition needed in that case.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

That appears to be incorrect. They requested a response to the State's petition, but a separate order says that a JUDGE has requested a vote whether to rehear *the case* sua sponte. I read this language as applicable to the case on the merits.

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    What is the maxumum length of time, the other judges have to respond for the sau sponte call?

The order states that the parties have 21 days to file briefs on whether the case should be reheard en banc. Under the 9th circuit general order, once the briefs are in, the active judges have 21 days to exchange memos among themselves. The en banc coordinator then calls for a vote and the judges on the court have 14 days to cast a vote. A failure to vote is deemed a "no" vote. So it is 21 + 21 + 14 which equals 56. Roughly two months for a decision on whether to grant rehearing en banc (not two weeks)

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Ok, maybe I am missing something? Parties to file what?

San Diego (loser) files, if anything: We're done, we don't want a rehearing.
    Peruta (winner) files: We won, we don't want a rehearing.

It sounds like everyone is happy, except the court (and Harris, of course).

Rob.

This is actually quite important. Gore says whatever. Peruta says, sure, there is a conflict on the circuits on the question and sure the issue is important, but let the SCt decide the issue. Hard argument to make where there is no party present that will take the case to the SCT (Gore won't and Harris' motion to intervene was denied). So, what will they say? It will be interesting

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    The order says that a judge asked for a vote sua sponte. No petition needed in that case.

I guess my point is that for a judge to call for en banc before the full court has decided to grant Harris' motion to intervene, leaves the (unlikely) possibility that the court grants en banc, but denies Harris' motion to intervene. What then? Does the court force Gore to argue his case?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    By the way, seems to me that if Gore says, "we're done," and Peruta says "We're done," but the court re-hears the case and lets Harris intervene anyway, that's a recipe that almost guarantees that the SCT will hear the case, maybe on unusual procedure alone. I keep thinking that Clement's weak opposition is a trap.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I guess my point is that for a judge to call for en banc before the full court has decided to grant Harris' motion to intervene, leaves the (unlikely) possibility that the court grants en banc, but denies Harris' motion to intervene. What then? Does the court force Gore to argue his case?

If they decide to go en banc on the sua sponte call, my guess is that they will likewise grant Harris' petition to intervene and rehear the case. The court will not require Gore to argue. It lacks that power. And there is no guarantee or even better odds that the SCT will review an en banc decision if the en banc court follows Kalchalsky, Drake and Woollard. Not a circuit conflict. I agree that the very best way for this to get to the SCT is for the 9th to affirm the panel or deny rehearing, but let Harris in to argue the case and take it to the SCT.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    If they decide to go en banc on the sua sponte call, my guess is that they will likewise grant Harris' petition to intervene and rehear the case. The court will not require Gore to argue. It lacks that power. And there is no guarantee or even better odds that the SCT will review an en banc decision if the en banc court follows Kalchalsky, Drake and Woollard. Not a circuit conflict. I agree that the very best way for this to get to the SCT is for the 9th to affirm the panel or deny rehearing, but let Harris in to argue the case and take it to the SCT.
    Maybe the judges (hell, maybe one of the panel itself) said "enough of this garbage...let's kick it to SCOTUS."

Seems to me though, 56 days, will put us into February. That means, cert petition deadline will be sometime around end of March? Cali will almost be guaranteed to pull the "dog ate my homework" and request an extension of petition before Kennedy who will grant it, so, end of April. 30 days for response? 15 for reply? So, Mid June?

IF, big if, this goes to SCOTUS, we'd be a fall argument date. No way they will release a decision prior to 30 June 2016, which would be right at the height of the presidential election season. Primaries will be done, and the general will be on. We'll be less than a month and a half away from party conventions.

Buckle up those seat belts, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Maybe the judges (hell, maybe one of the panel itself) said "enough of this garbage...let's kick it to SCOTUS."

Seems to me though, 56 days, will put us into February. That means, cert petition deadline will be sometime around end of March? Cali will almost be guaranteed to pull the "dog ate my homework" and request an extension of petition before Kennedy who will grant it, so, end of April. 30 days for response? 15 for reply? So, Mid June?

IF, big if, this goes to SCOTUS, we'd be a fall argument date. No way they will release a decision prior to 30 June 2016, which would be right at the height of the presidential election season. Primaries will be done, and the general will be on. We'll be less than a month and a half away from party conventions.

Buckle up those seat belts, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

If (again big If) cert was granted that late, the case should be heard early next term

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV

I believe Peruta's counsel wants Harris in but rehearing denied. No one who wins with a 3 judge panel is going to want en banc

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    If (again big If) cert was granted that late, the case should be heard early next term

Right...which means arguments early fall of 2015. No way the court doesn't hold that as one of the "big" cases for which it usually releases opinions during the final days of the term. Meaning a decision sometime in June of 2016.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom