• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • reptileguy99

Apr 6, 2013
    I was thinking about going this weekend and look around want a new handgun then seen that on there face book the other day really want to build a pistol ar but I think I would have to see the paperwork

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I've been holding off on posting the following in this thread since it started, well, until now. I've explored this exact matter and subsequently discussed it with my attorney last fall and his advice and explanation pretty much mirrored Nate's. Then I added to the equation by having a shoulder stock attached to the lower and my attorney remained with his initial position as a "no go". BTW, my attorney is VERY PRO 2A.

If a dealer wants to really "push the system" by selling AR15 lowers (not complete HBAR's) as non-regulated, I think that dealer had better be prepared for the possibility of a long absence from their firearms business if the state (MSP) becomes privy to this as the dealer's license could be suspended and possibly ultimately revoked (out of business for good) and not to mention the potential legal fees that the dealer could/will encounter, win, loose, or draw.

Agreed!

There is going to be ALOT of MD Dealers who are going to hate life once the new Regime in MD takes over. The MSP is going to tear apart every dealer who pushes the line.

Sure they may "win" in court but what is that defense going to cost them?

MDElite

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2011
    Another thing to consider is who at MSP is doing the background check. They might not even be looking at the firearm on the 77r. Just checking the buyer. Even if the buyer gets a ND in seven days it might catch up with him later.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Another thing to consider is who at MSP is doing the background check. They might not even be looking at the firearm on the 77r. Just checking the buyer. Even if the buyer gets a ND in seven days it might catch up with him later.

That sounds like a procedural oversight on their part, not the buyer's problem. This will likely play out as the FFL's problem for the most part, with unlucky buyers getting their lower confiscated. It could go further and they'd charge the unlucky buyers with all sorts of ******** tacked on chargers - God forbid that the person who bought the lower also has some other stuff MSP ain't fond of.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    That sounds like a procedural oversight on their part, not the buyer's problem. This will likely play out as the FFL's problem for the most part, with unlucky buyers getting their lower confiscated. It could go further and they'd charge the unlucky buyers with all sorts of ******** tacked on chargers - God forbid that the person who bought the lower also has some other stuff MSP ain't fond of.

It would be interesting if the guns (previously receivers) were in a "legal" configuration. That would be really bad for PR a fodder for another lawsuit.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As re post #146 , we've seen that MSP wasn't shy about knocking on doors about previously cash and carry guns they retroactivly wanted a 77R. Also remember that team on standby last year during the backlog to retrive the (turned out to be) non-flood of 8 day releases gone bad. An occasional clerical oversight on a 77R would probably shield the particular individual from prosecution , but not automatically a presecedent the first time or two it happens.

MDElite

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2011
    Good news from MSP this morning. I emailed asking for their stance and received this back.

Donald Pickle -State Police-
    9:42 AM (16 minutes ago)
    to me
    Dan,

"Yes, AR-15 lowers can be sold in Maryland. A recent opinion came down and basically stated that the AR-15 lower can not be banned because it can still be built into legal firearms (AR-15 pistol, SBR or heavy barrel).

A 77R is required with the sale of an AR-15 lower.

If you have any further questions feel free to contact me."

***LOWER RECEIVERS ARE ORDERED AND SHOULD BE HERE IN A FEW DAYS***

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Good news from MSP this morning. I emailed asking for their stance and received this back.

Donald Pickle -State Police-
    9:42 AM (16 minutes ago)
    to me
    Dan,

"Yes, AR-15 lowers can be sold in Maryland. A recent opinion came down and basically stated that the AR-15 lower can not be banned because it can still be built into legal firearms (AR-15 pistol, SBR or heavy barrel).

A 77R is required with the sale of an AR-15 lower.

If you have any further questions feel free to contact me."

***LOWER RECEIVERS ARE ORDERED AND SHOULD BE HERE IN A FEW DAYS***

holy crap! will they be publishing that opinion so all the ffl's will get on board? i need to call my local gun shop.

MDElite

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2011
    holy crap! will they be publishing that opinion so all the ffl's will get on board? i need to call my local gun shop.

Not sure what they will be publishing. We would be happy to be your local gun shop.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Bull. They're cash and carry, no 77R. Please don't just accept that they are regulated firearms. Just accepting such has gotten us to this point so far.

MDElite

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2011
    Quick update from MSP

"An HQL is not required. The AR-15 lower is defined as a firearm. The HQL is specifically for handguns."

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Quick update from MSP

"An HQL is not required. The AR-15 lower is defined as a firearm. The HQL is specifically for handguns."

Right. So if it's not a handgun, and it's not a firearm listed in PS 5-101(r)(2), how exactly does it "need to be sold on a 77R"? A 77R is needed for Regulated Firearms, and those are the only two classes of regulated firearms. Please, ask them that.

ETA: Thank you.

MDElite

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right. So if it's not a handgun, and it's not a firearm listed in PS 5-101(r)(2), how exactly does it "need to be sold on a 77R"? A 77R is needed for Regulated Firearms, and those are the only two classes of regulated firearms. Please, ask them that.

ETA: Thank you.

That's pretty much what I asked but without the PS 5-101(r)(2) part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom