• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Apr 16, 2012
    Catonsville, MD
    Thanks Lou for your comments and powwow thanks for the video. I haven't seen that before, I'm about half way through it, interesting stuff.

I did dig out the carbon copy and was able to clearly see that the serial number on the firearm and the paperwork are correct and legible on the paper. I will do more research and post my findings. Seems funny that they called an FFL (Lou), called pit bull (buyer?), and sent someone out other than themselves to my door.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    According to the 77r, it is a "voluntary" registration for regulated firearms. Unless there is paperwork pending, or something I am not seeing, one could always reply to these phone calls/visits with revoking one's interest in continuing to be a "volunteer" with the registration process.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    My first instinct was it was a scam resulting from the lack of security MSP had when they brought in all those additional state employees to work on apps. But you did right in following through and it does seem legit now.

SB281 Blaster

Feb 4, 2014
    Queenstown
    MSP makes mistakes from time to time when inputting information from the applications. Last month I followed-up on an application because I did not receive a "Not Disapproved" in a timely manner. They had the application recorded under a different dealer. They inputted my dealer number incorrectly and faxed the "Not Disaproved" to them, not me. I am sure this has happened with serial numbers. With an error rate of 1/10 of 1% on 100,000 applications, there will be 100 errors. I am sure they will have their hands full cleaning things up for some time to come. Just make sure they are who they are, and they provide all the surrounding information before volunteering any to them. I am waiting to hear about 8 day releases not being subsequently approved. That will be an interesting thread to say the least!

HoldFast

Sep 8, 2013
    Dundalk, MD
    hmmmm city police, doesn't identify themselves properly?...shocker. All bs aside, living close to the city has granted me the misfortune of running into the BCP multiple times, and seeing how they conduct themselves this is no shocker.

Until I see a warrant they can pound sand.

Rockn93yj

Nov 24, 2011
    About a month ago I had an officer "working for" the MSP call to verify the serial number on a Sig I purchased in Sept of last year. I asked questions and he had all my information. I asked which gun it was because I had made a few purchases and he was able to identify the model. I complied and gave the serial # best I could read it(print is small, blends in and my reading vision isn't that great). Nothing more heard from them since then. I'm guessing it was to see if I still had it in my possession or if it was a straw purchase.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I thought the state wasn't "supposed" to keep SN on individual firearms?

Oh right, we live in the Peoples Republic of Maryland. Sorry for my ignorance.

Not true.

The state is forbidden from using federal dollars to maintain such a database.

The governor has made it clear that he does have the state maintain such a database and has it georeferenced so that they can easily pull up geographic areas and see all regulated firearms in any given area.

They have even shown screen captures at various IT conferences.

Benanov

PM Bomber
    May 15, 2013
    Shrewsbury, PA
    Not true.

The state is forbidden from using federal dollars to maintain such a database.

The governor has made it clear that he does have the state maintain such a database and has it georeferenced so that they can easily pull up geographic areas and see all regulated firearms in any given area.

They have even shown screen captures at various IT conferences.

I've never wanted to truncate a table more.

(For non-database folk: Truncate a table wipes it in one sweep and resets the primary key. Deleting all rows will log every row as a deletion and keeps the position of the primary key, so the next row entered would be able to be merged back into the original table without a collision.)

Last edited:

RwWilly

Jan 1, 2013
    Harford, Kingsville

(For non-database folk: Truncate a table wipes it in one sweep and resets the primary key. Deleting all rows will log every row as a deletion and keeps the position of the primary key, so the next row entered would be able to be merged back into the original table without a collision.)

I don't know what it is or does. But I hope you get the chance!

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County

And in with some databases, you can simply delete the whole database (multiple tables) with one command. Nuke and pave!

michaera

Love me some freedom.
    Jan 10, 2014
    It may seem like a scam or an innocent research inquiry. Be prepared. Watch this video if you have not yet done so.

Wow. Awesome. I'm glad I watched the whole thing. I thought it would be an anti cop rant but it was more precautionary. I'm glad they also had a cop address the class as well.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    MSP makes mistakes from time to time when inputting information from the applications. Last month I followed-up on an application because I did not receive a "Not Disapproved" in a timely manner. They had the application recorded under a different dealer. They inputted my dealer number incorrectly and faxed the "Not Disaproved" to them, not me. I am sure this has happened with serial numbers. With an error rate of 1/10 of 1% on 100,000 applications, there will be 100 errors. I am sure they will have their hands full cleaning things up for some time to come. Just make sure they are who they are, and they provide all the surrounding information before volunteering any to them. I am waiting to hear about 8 day releases not being subsequently approved. That will be an interesting thread to say the least!

It happens. We had one recently.

MSP calls and asks if you released the gun, if they don't already know you did from the 77 hard copies being returned, and if you did release, they send folks out to retrieve the gun.

As long as a dealer did his due diligence, the buyer is the only one who has to worry.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    I thought the state wasn't "supposed" to keep SN on individual firearms?

Oh right, we live in the Peoples Republic of Maryland. Sorry for my ignorance.

I've mentioned this before, but there is an online database which was called "MGUN" while I was an officer.

It contains all firearm info for each and every purchase done through a MD dealer or via MSP for voluntary registrations, transfers etc.. It also contains info on all handgun permits.

Any bonafide law enforcement agency can access it at any time. I used it many many times during investigations, prior to search warrants, or felony warrant services to gather intel on who had what.

The short version is that the complete info on you and every firearm you bought through a dealer or transferred via MSP is on record and available and has been for decades.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    I've mentioned this before, but there is an online database which was called "MGUN" while I was an officer.

It contains all firearm info for each and every purchase done through a MD dealer or via MSP for voluntary registrations, transfers etc.. It also contains info on all handgun permits.

Any bonafide law enforcement agency can access it at any time. I used it many many times during investigations, prior to search warrants, or felony warrant services to gather intel on who had what.

The short version is that the complete info on you and every firearm you bought through a dealer or transferred via MSP is on record and available and has been for decades.

Just because it's been done for decades doesn't mean it's right. A "right" does not require registration. PERIOD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom