• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Bluetooth is for monitoring only, it does not allow you to unlock the gun.

Having said that, I don't want my gun advertising it's existence in any way.

not sure exactly how they use Bluetooth, looks like you get alerts to an app, if it only works with your phone a few feet away it's kinda pointless, says you can unlock it too, so presumably it has wifi capability to link over the internet, potential deal breaker to me. Not sure if Bluetooth is only used to set the combination or to use for "administrative" functions, being kids can usually work a smartphone better than their parents, and either unlock it, or change the combo it's not a feature I would want. There is a need for many folks with kids that are too young to trust with unlocked guns, and old enough to find it, and fire one, there aren't many products around that don't have serious drawbacks.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I care what they do above layer 3 and you should too. Security must almost universally assume that your phy* is compromised.

I'll ask again, what is the threat? Clearly these devices aren't designed to combat theft and shouldn't be considered in that context. So read the description of what it does and show me the threat.

-Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah. So. That would be a showstopper for me. I don't want my gun unlocked unless it's in my hands

You guys should meet and discuss this. I'm getting nowhere...:sad20:

Also, another tidbit:
    Police use 'Pay-By-Plate' to "hotlist" motorists across the country
    http://www.blacklistednews.com/Police_use_%27Pay-By-Plate%27_to_"hotlist"_motorists_across_the_country/53700/0/38/38/Y/M.html
    ...By combining a license plate or a phone number with a Bluetooth serial number, it’s possible to track citizens via their phone. Mr. Robertson said.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!

fijxlma7hkht9oopy7he.gif

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick
    Not to get too demented and try to re-quote quotes but if its electronic it has a higher failure rate. If it runs any comm protocol it can be broken. And yeah I got the background I know what I'm talking about. Bluetooth jammer anyone?

Why are you locking your gun? Especially in your house? Kids? Why aren't your kids trained to begin with?

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Not to get too demented and try to re-quote quotes but if its electronic it has a higher failure rate. If it runs any comm protocol it can be broken. And yeah I got the background I know what I'm talking about. Bluetooth jammer anyone?

Why are you locking your gun? Especially in your house? Kids? Why aren't your kids trained to begin with?

Good questions and they highlight the conop for this lock in my opinion. This is clearly targeted at the bedside gun concept. A gun that is out of your safe, needs to be quickly accessible, and needs to be secure from people who have free reign in your house (kids, friends, etc.).

As to your why aren't your kids trained question: I realize that is sarcastic, but just to answer: Even if your kids are trained, you should lock up your guns that you leave out. No question, no debate here. I don't care how well behaved your kids are, don't trust them in this case.

I don't think the lock is intended to keep thieves from stealing your gun, that would be dumb because nothing prevents a thief from just walking away with it and dealing with the lock later. Just like with key'd bore locks or those puny little speed safes. The job of keeping thieves from getting your guns belongs to your "real" safe, and why Zore-X provides the little motion sensor product.

This is why asking the question of "what is the threat" is vital.

In every thread I see on the Zore-X I see "oh but it might be hackable"... I'll just come out and say it: IT IS HACKABLE. It may take great effort, it may not, but it is hackable. SO WHAT? Is your kid going to hack it? Is your drunk friend going to hack it? If not them, then who is? Is a home invader going to be sitting on his computer disabling these locks before he breaks down your door loud enough for you to hear him and react? If the home invader is that good, you have more serious problems.

Put the guns you don't want stolen in your safe when you are away, put the guns that you want to protect you from an invader in a convenient place when you are home. Secure those guns from your children.

-Jim

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Good questions and they highlight the conop for this lock in my opinion. This is clearly targeted at the bedside gun concept. A gun that is out of your safe, needs to be quickly accessible, and needs to be secure from people who have free reign in your house (kids, friends, etc.).

As to your why aren't your kids trained question: I realize that is sarcastic, but just to answer: Even if your kids are trained, you should lock up your guns that you leave out. No question, no debate here. I don't care how well behaved your kids are, don't trust them in this case.

I don't think the lock is intended to keep thieves from stealing your gun, that would be dumb because nothing prevents a thief from just walking away with it and dealing with the lock later. Just like with key'd bore locks or those puny little speed safes. The job of keeping thieves from getting your guns belongs to your "real" safe, and why Zore-X provides the little motion sensor product.

This is why asking the question of "what is the threat" is vital.

In every thread I see on the Zore-X I see "oh but it might be hackable"... I'll just come out and say it: IT IS HACKABLE. It may take great effort, it may not, but it is hackable. SO WHAT? Is your kid going to hack it? Is your drunk friend going to hack it? If not them, then who is? Is a home invader going to be sitting on his computer disabling these locks before he breaks down your door loud enough for you to hear him and react? If the home invader is that good, you have more serious problems.

Put the guns you don't want stolen in your safe when you are away, put the guns that you want to protect you from an invader in a convenient place when you are home. Secure those guns from your children.

-Jim

:thumbsup: The "hacking" problem IMO has less to do with Bluetooth, and more to do with the app and possible wifi connectivity. The fact Bluetooth is short range basically requires someone in the house to hack it, which isn't a big concern for something like this. What is a concern is that if your kid can access your phone, they can unlock the gun, intentionally or inadvertently, so the lock can't be trusted to be engaged. If the "remote unlock" and alerts occur over wifi through the app, then anyone on the planet can hack it. With a simple default password and port forwarded address on your network the thing will probably be dancing around and playing "never gonna give you up" within a couple hours like a wifi camera. In either case if a lock can't be trusted to lock, then it's worthless.

For those thinking "just train your kids", pretty much any responsible gun owner will, we also won't bet our kid's life against their curiosity until they are mature enough, and that can vary substantially by the kid. There are plenty of situations where kids are old enough to access and operate an unsecured gun, but too young or immature to be 100% sure they will leave it alone, my 5yo falls in this category, for the same reasons he is not left unattended near pools or in a running car. He is taught never to go near my gear without me, knows it's off limits, and substantial repercussions will happen if he does, but can't say the same for his friends including one that is autistic, or that he wouldn't be every bit as sneaky, curious and daring as I was at his age. Personally, just about all of my stuff is locked up and secured, loaded and on my hip, or in a quick access hand safe. I am square in the market for a device like this, at least for the next few years. Only need something I can easily get into, and he can't, and only need it for a short amount of time where I don't have my EDC on me. I'm not a huge fan of the chamber lock design, or wifi connectivity, but the lock design itself would serve my purpose, probably better in a locking "holster" or hand safe where I could keep a loaded chamber, and maybe a "jacket" for long guns.

Welder84

Aug 16, 2016
    Central Maryland
    I started off as a skeptic I went to the crowd funding sight and read up. It's perfect for people who are armed and have kids around. The app for tracking movement is nice. I really like this product.

doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    It looks cool but I think they should sell a basic version that has just the lock and rotate-to-unlock feature. The bluetooth and internet integration is probably half the price and as far as I'm concerned, computers, internet, and phones are just too unreliable. I still can't even get fast internet half the time now I'm going to tie it to a gun lock? No thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom