• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • robbiek1999

Jun 21, 2012
    I was curious if anyone had feedback on above bullets for reloading. I had ordered some Berrys bullets, 9mm 115gr HBRN, to get best accuracy in my 9mm carbine. They were supposed to be very accurate bullet but were less accuracte than others. So I weighed bullets on a digital scale. I found they weighed between 114.4gr and 115.8. I went through remaining 700 bullets and sorted them by weight to see if accuracy improves.

But I also received an order of Zero 115gr JHP bullets. I weiged about 100 of 1000 of these and found weight dist to be 114.8 and 115.0. I have not shot them yet but expect much better accuracy.

Does anyone else have experience with these?

fa18hooker

99-9X
    Sep 2, 2008
    Annapolis
    Zero bullets are among the best out there, and also on the less expensive side. If you shoot bullseye, the 185LSWCHP swaged bullets are top notch.

marlin.357

NRA Life Member, MSI, SAF
    Oct 29, 2006
    St. Mary's County
    Used them both. Only problem I see with the plated bullets is with the longer barrel on the carbine you may well exceed the 1100 -1250 fps recommended max velocity and start shedding the plating. The Jacketed Zero's are probably the best bet for the carbine. Of course YMMV

ThumperIII

Jun 11, 2009
    Maryland
    I do not know which brand may produce more consistent accuracy. But even at the widest weight variation, it is only a fraction over 1% difference. Unless you normally can shoot overlapping bullet holes in your targets, that should not make a significant difference. I think that internal case capacity, tightness/depth of the bullet seating and powder stength variations would make more difference in the accuracy than that amount of weight difference.
    Just curious: How much variation are you getting in your shots and at what distance? Any particular distribution pattern or just random
    Have you looked at other measureable uniformity factors or things to consider ? Bullet diameter, concentricity or length?

I have had decent performance with Berry's in 9mm and 45acp as pistol loads, but then I probably would not even notice the variations at 25yd, from combat style pistols, that you are calling inconsistencies (from a carbine). Have not used Zeros.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I've found Berry's to be consistently good bullets for inexpensive range ammo in a lot of different calibers from .380 to .45acp.

Last edited:

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Sgt Preston here...

I reload for handguns only, so my results may be different from yours...

But, I have loaded 25,000+ Berry's Copper Plated Bullets in 9mm, 38, 357, & 45 ACP...

I found them to be extremely accurate at normal combat distances of 7 - 25 yards...

I did find similar variations of weights within a box of bullets as you mentioned...

BUT they all seemed to print the target exactly where I "let them go" as long as I made good shots...

DoctorBob

Jul 12, 2011
    Glen Arm
    For casual shooting, any of the top 10 brands of cast bullets will work well. The
    Zero may be considered the best, as more bullseye shooters use them than any
    other brand (185 gr. SWC), at least for bullseye in 45 ACP. As pointed out, the weight
    variations are not significant. What matters is bearing surface, crimp, and having
    a bullet that is perfectly round. A you may imagine, a dented bearing surface with
    uneven plating, overcrimped, and eccentric is shape will not work well. There are
    ways to improve bullet quality and develope accurate loading technique, but these
    are a bit off point for this thread.

Doctor Bob / Old Skool

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    Sgt Preston here...

I reload for handguns only, so my results may be different from yours...

But, I have loaded 25,000+ Berry's Copper Plated Bullets in 9mm, 38, 357, & 45 ACP...

I found them to be extremely accurate at normal combat distances of 7 - 25 yards...

I did find similar variations of weights within a box of bullets as you mentioned...

BUT they all seemed to print the target exactly where I "let them go" as long as I made good shots...

May I ask what powder load you were loading under the Berry's plated .38.? Also, what sort of performance were you realizing? So far I have only been loading from an old box of Star 148gr. lead HBWC, but am down to about 100left. I was considering Berry's plated 148gr. HBWC, but was concerned with the notice:

"When loading for these bullets, you need to use data that will attain 800 fps as a minimum. Most of the data for this bullet weight was created using a dead soft lead projectile with velocities under the 800 fps and will not work for a this bullet at those lower velocities. This is to prevent a very light load (meant for a dead soft lead bullet) that might not get our plated bullet to the target."

I do not have a chronograph, but am assuredly achieving less than 800 fps since I am using winchester WST. Because of the notice and my intention to continue using up the WST I was going to give Berry's a pass and restock with Zero 148gr. lead HBWC.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    May I ask what powder load you were loading under the Berry's plated .38.? Also, what sort of performance were you realizing? So far I have only been loading from an old box of Star 148gr. lead HBWC, but am down to about 100left. I was considering Berry's plated 148gr. HBWC, but was concerned with the notice:

"When loading for these bullets, you need to use data that will attain 800 fps as a minimum. Most of the data for this bullet weight was created using a dead soft lead projectile with velocities under the 800 fps and will not work for a this bullet at those lower velocities. This is to prevent a very light load (meant for a dead soft lead bullet) that might not get our plated bullet to the target."

I do not have a chronograph, but am assuredly achieving less than 800 fps since I am using winchester WST. Because of the notice and my intention to continue using up the WST I was going to give Berry's a pass and restock with Zero 148gr. lead HBWC.

Sure Trekker & here you go...

I load Berry's 158 grain Semi Wad Cutters...

I use a Winchester 231 Powder for all my 9's, 38's & 45's...

For the 38's, I load 4.0 Grains...

I set the Overall Length to 1.450...

And I Taper Crimp to .375/.376 dia measured at the very end of the brass...

I load on a Dillon 550 using Dillon Dies...

I use assorted mixed headstamp range brass with 30% nickle mixed in...

And I have been using Winchester Small Pistol Primers...

I've never had an issue with the load, the bullet, the powder or leading...

I have been launching them out of a Ruger GP100 x 6" Stainless Pistol..&..

A S & W 686 SSR x 4" Rocket Launcher...

The target shows the same results with both pistols...

Hope this is helpful...

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I have been using berry bullets in 165 gr 40 caliber out of my glock 23. I found them to be very accurate at normal distance.
    as a matter of fact I just got in another 500 fo the 40 caliber bullets in today.

I have a bunch for the 9mm but haven't gotten a chance to use them yet.
    Right now if you buy over $50 from Berry's bullets web site you get free shipping, This makes it a even better bargen

as for the bullet weight I just weighed a bunch or hornady and I found them to very a bit them selfs

TripleChris

Apr 10, 2009
    Pasadena, MD
    Currently shooting Berry's 200 grain FP with 4.7 gr of Bullseye out of my 1911, middle of the road load for range time, no disappointments so far.

Have shot 200 gr HP, FP, 230 gr RN, 200 gr SWC from Berry's, Kimber feed ramp did not like the SWC bullet profile, shot the rest flawlessly. I'd compare Berrys favorably to Rainiers plated bullets.

Ian

Dontre member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Damascus-ish
    Currently shooting Berry's 200 grain FP with 4.7 gr of Bullseye out of my 1911, middle of the road load for range time, no disappointments so far.

Have shot 200 gr HP, FP, 230 gr RN, 200 gr SWC from Berry's, Kimber feed ramp did not like the SWC bullet profile, shot the rest flawlessly. I'd compare Berrys favorably to Rainiers plated bullets.

I had the same problem with the swc in my Kimber , moved to 1.25 oal, and the feed problem went away. Probably have 8000 Berrys swc through since then, no troubles.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    I haven't used Zero's but I use Berry's quite regularly in my .357. I have found them to be very accurate in both of the revolvers.

I really can't see 1 grain making a difference, especially in a carbine. Maybe in the ultra-precise, 1000 yard stuff that Ed Shell puts out there, though.

MH

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008

Sure Trekker & here you go...

I load Berry's 158 grain Semi Wad Cutters...

I use a Winchester 231 Powder for all my 9's, 38's & 45's...

For the 38's, I load 4.0 Grains...

I set the Overall Length to 1.450...

And I Taper Crimp to .375/.376 dia measured at the very end of the brass...

I load on a Dillon 550 using Dillon Dies...

I use assorted mixed headstamp range brass with 30% nickle mixed in...

And I have been using Winchester Small Pistol Primers...

I've never had an issue with the load, the bullet, the powder or leading...

I have been launching them out of a Ruger GP100 x 6" Stainless Pistol..&..

A S & W 686 SSR x 4" Rocket Launcher...

The target shows the same results with both pistols...

Hope this is helpful...

Sarge,

Same basic load as mine, W231, wsp primers, mixed brass, 'cept I'm using the Berry 158gr flat points. Great load, and very accurate.

MH

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Haven't shot Zero (yet), but Berry's has done well for me in .45 ACP - there is some weight variation, but nothing alarming IMO. I like the 185gr hollow-base RN personally.

5.5gr Titegroup, CCI LP primer, COL around 1.230 - hasn't disappointed me yet, the FP's also do well. Rainiers also did very well at that loading, but the price is one thing that always got me.

4" M&P .45, just eats them up.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Only cast I've shot is Friendswood Bullet Co. via Powder Valley Inc., $35 and change for 500 rounds - they've done well so far.

.45 ACP 185gr. FP round.

I like the 185gr range.

robbiek1999

Jun 21, 2012
    Marlin, I was thinking along those lines. A carbine might create too high a pressure. I was using mid range loads before in both Alliant Unique and Red Dot. I reloaded both Berrys and Zero and dropped down the powder to minimums. I also sorted Berrys bullets by weight in the new reloads to see if that makes a difference.

For what its worth. I was getting a 1-2" groups (3 shots each) at 50yds with scope using Hornady XTP 115gr. With previous Berry's loads, 4-5" groups were common but there were multiple times where 2 shots almost touched and the 3rd was 5" off. Never could get all 3 shots to group nicely. I have about 700 of the Berry's bullets left and would like to get them to work. If not, I will use them as plinkers for my pistol...

Waiting for my local club (Sanners) to open back up. Tired of driving an hour to Myrtle Grove in La Plata... If results are better, I will let you know...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom