• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • faze

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2010
    Baltimore County, MD
    Just wanted to post this here as my review thread, I haven't shot it yet, but I wanted to have this thread going, and let others share their experiences. I got this yesterday, added an NcStar 4 recticle reflex sight. Came with two 10 round single stack magazines. The weapon came with a fair bit of packing grease for being brand new (manufactured in Serbia, June 2011). The actions are VERY tight, very well built weapon. Pretty standard action, bolt can be locked back with the safety as with most AK's. I'll post more after I shoot it in a couple weeks.

Anybody else have this weapon?

317774_10150807714005434_810490433_21077409_56202605_n.jpg

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    Just wanted to post this here as my review thread, I haven't shot it yet, but I wanted to have this thread going, and let others share their experiences. I got this yesterday, added an NcStar 4 recticle reflex sight. Came with two 10 round single stack magazines. The weapon came with a fair bit of packing grease for being brand new (manufactured in Serbia, June 2011). The actions are VERY tight, very well built weapon. Pretty standard action, bolt can be locked back with the safety as with most AK's. I'll post more after I shoot it in a couple weeks.

Anybody else have this weapon?

Huh?

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    What's there not to understand? This is the rifle forum, and I'm sharing a new purchase...

He highlighted the fact that the bolt can be locked by via the safety.

On my Saiga the bolt gets held back with a release by the trigger guard...not by using the safety.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    To be fair, I also didn't know about that trick with locking back the bolt using the safety. Learn something new every day...

The Saiga's BHO is not a standard AK feature, and has been known to cause operational issues, at least in the S12. Most people dump it when they do the conversion.

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    What's there not to understand? This is the rifle forum, and I'm sharing a new purchase...

I was questioning the part in bold. I don't think most AK's have the bolt hold back. Usually, they are cut into the safety lever after the fact.

faze

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2010
    Baltimore County, MD
    He highlighted the fact that the bolt can be locked by via the safety.

On my Saiga the bolt gets held back with a release by the trigger guard...not by using the safety.

Oh, didn't notice that. What I meant by locking back the bolt... Pull it all the way back, then engage the safety. There is a notch carved out that holds the bolt in place. To chamber a round, simply take it off of safety.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The problems that optics have on AKs are when you slap them on an Ultimak, which gets rather hot... which causes the batteries to overheat and shut down the optic. I am going to guess that this isn't such a big deal with a gas cover mount.

IIRC, the problem with dust cover mounts isn't holding a zero, it's returning to a zero...

faze

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2010
    Baltimore County, MD
    The problems that optics have on AKs are when you slap them on an Ultimak, which gets rather hot... which causes the batteries to overheat and shut down the optic. I am going to guess that this isn't such a big deal with a gas cover mount.

IIRC, the problem with dust cover mounts isn't holding a zero, it's returning to a zero...

The dust cover doesn't get hot enough to do that.

I haven't shot it yet, so once I sight it in, we'll see how bad it is.

Also, how do I keep the battery from draining? This thing doesn't have an off switch. I presume that putting the dust cover over the scope lens will turn it off?

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    That's a 12ga shotgun though, just a wee bit more recoil and heat. :rolleyes:

Understood.

However the recoil system (while "heavier") is still the same. It's mounted on the part of the rifle that takes a beatings no matter what caliber it is.

Hopefully your's will last....I'm betting it wont.

faze

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2010
    Baltimore County, MD
    Understood.

However the recoil system (while "heavier") is still the same. It's mounted on the part of the rifle that takes a beatings no matter what caliber it is.

Hopefully your's will last....I'm betting it wont.

The vendor said it was rated for use with an AK. The AK that I purchased has significantly less recoil than most. My friend compared it to shooting a .223.

I hear what you're saying with the location of the rail, being over the dust cover. The dust cover is very tight from what I'm used to with other AK rifles.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Well, it's not like 7.62x39 is known for its light recoil. I'm a big fan of budget optics, but even I'd be careful of mounting them on a shotgun or a large caliber rifle...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom