• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I'm going to pick up an eagle stock pack for it, which should give me a bit more elevation. Thanks for the input! I wasn't sure what to make of the height.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    You could probably get away with ultra low rings, but I don't think that looks high. Are you running a check piece?

I agree with Russ, it looks high but its not that egregious. You to need account for the fact that the Super Sniper has that smaller 42mm objective which makes it look higher than what it is.

Below is a pic of my Rem 700 PSS when it wore a SWFA 10x. The rings were medium height (1") by Badger Ordnance. Unless you get rid of the rail and use Fudd style rings directly on the receiver it will be difficult to mount it much lower.

The bottom pic is the new scope with .885" rings, it has a 50mm objective which makes it appear closer to the barrel but in reality there is only about 1/8" of an inch difference in height between the two setups.

b5f935d6.jpg

C78A2352-F44C-46FB-888C-261AAAA12DED-23846-0000361775F320BF_zpsa99802ce.jpg

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Here is my R-700 with a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm. It's got LaRue ultra low rings and I think they are perfect.

-Jim

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      72.9 KB · Views: 313

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I think I'm going to pick up a set of the TPS Super Low rings for it, because I agree it looks a bit high. Because the objective is only 42, I have a bit more room to bring it down. Anyone need a pair of 30mm low rings? lol

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Phoenix Rifles will doa tactical bolt knob right for $70, knob included.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I'm starting to wonder if the EGW base is too high for the SS bell. Ill wait until the super low rings come in, but I might consider a lower 20 moa base too.

Anyone ever run a EGW base and SS at the same time?

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Here's mine.... Remington 700 short action with varmit contour barrel (.308 Win) McGee Prone stock; Anschutz rail; REG Palma rear sight and Mid Tompkins front sight (not shown); OK Webr barrel band; custom bolt handle. Leupold M8 12x scope

sailskidrive

Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Here's mine.... Remington 700 short action with varmit contour barrel (.308 Win) McGee Prone stock; Anschutz rail; REG Palma rear sight and Mid Tompkins front sight (not shown); OK Webr barrel band; custom bolt handle. Leupold M8 12x scope

Nice scope choice... :thumbsup:

sailskidrive

Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    No, But some people over on Snipers Hide speak highly of them.

I sent mine to Short Action Customs in Ohio. They actually drill and tap the bolt handle and put a LONG set screw in it to reinforce the arm. $100, I shipped Priority Mail on Tuesday, it was back to me on Monday.

http://shortactioncustoms.com/?page_id=292

Kewl... I'll check them out. A friend offered to do it for me, but sometimes he gets side tracked and I don't want to get it back next Spring. :rolleyes:

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Nice scope choice... :thumbsup:

Thanks.... purchased as a take off from a rifle that came into my local shop when I lived in Tucson some years ago for the princely sum of $150... I knew I'd find a use for it somewhere down the line.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Below is a pic of my Rem 700 PSS when it wore a SWFA 10x. The rings were medium height (1") by Badger Ordnance. Unless you get rid of the rail and use Fudd style rings directly on the receiver it will be difficult to mount it much lower.
    b5f935d6.jpg
    Wouldn't low rings make it lower?

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    So I ended up ordering a set of the super low TPS rings and I did the math on them - with the EGW base and super low TPS Rings the scope bell will have 1/4" clearance. That's a bit better don’t you think?

I am concerned that super low rings won’t allow me to mount the scope far enough forward for a solid cheek weld.

If that’s the case I’m going to ditch the EGW base for one that has a lower profile.

I’ll know Thursday when they come in.

EDIT: Just ordered a Weaver Tactical 20 MOA Base in case the EGW still gives me a height issue. This way, if the low rings work with the Weaver, I can return the super low - either way I have 2 heights of rings and two heights of bases to figure it out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom