Your First gun---either as a kid or an adult?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    I can't remember the first time I went shooting, it was either with my friend and his dad or at Scout camp on a .22 or .223

My first gun was an ArmiSport P-1853 Enfield rifle-musket reproduction for re-enacting that was a gift when I was 15. My wallet has been suffering ever since.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Remington 582 bolt action 22, tube magazine. GREAT lil rifle, bought used at either Bart's or Stammers I forget........cost was $22.00 and I really scrutinized it. :o

Parted it out on Ebay a few years ago, 80 bucks on the bolt alone.

2shots

Oct 14, 2010
    My first gun was a 12ga Sears and Roebuck Single shot, my dad bought it for when I turned 16. It had a 28' full choke barrel and oak stock, I remember the first time hunting with it shooting dove. Boy those were the good ole days.:cool:

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Winchester Mdl 70 30/06 age 12 got my arse chewed, my parents didn't like them (guns). A friends father was a hunter / trap-skeet shooter and got it for me Farmers Co-op $90.00, worked on farm to pay for it, father had J.C Higgins semi .22lr and a Win 94 30-30 he had bought back in the 50's from Sears when it was in downtown Frederick,he didn't want me to have any guns, pretty much down hill from there after the Win 70, started buying for him when I could, he has a rather large collection 1911 .45's, 1903's (various mdls), Garand, ole 3 screw Rugers, I managed to get all of the Colt Black powder pistols (yes colt) and they are NIB. Would also shoot NRA small bore at Flair Amory.

Met Col. Bartgis at Linganore Range, that's when it took off, M1 Garands, M1A's, coaching me along the way. Those were the good ole days, they may be gone but they are well remembered.Still have my first M1A he had an Armorer bed it, trick it all out for me.

Oh... and had a Daisy BB Gun so I would guess that would be the first..even that took some doing..

-Rock

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Other than the Crossman BB gun I had, the first gun I ever got was a single-shot 20 gauge Ithaca shotgun I bought used from a guy who worked for my dad. Still have it. Lots of good memories. I was probably 12.

RegularJay

NRA & SAF Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2007
    Harford County
    First gun I ever handledwas an Ithaca 37 Trench Gun, First one I ever fired at around 12 years old was Dad's 45 Long Colt Peacemaker 1st I owned was a Stevens 20 Ga. Still have the Stevens, Inherited the Peacemaker and I'm serching for an Ithaca Trench gun.

Jay

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    My first gun was my Beretta 92 Brigadier Elite. I still practice with it every chance I get and it is my gun of choice for all the training classes I take.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    The first gun I fired was a target .22 for Junior NRA, which I did very well with.

The first gun I purchased was a Ruger Blackhawk 32-30/.32 Magnum convertible, which is also how I got started reloading. I really wish I still had it.

Jim

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    First shot was my Dad's Ruger Single six probably around 1971-2 timeframe.
    First purchase - went cheap because I wanted a real gun and got a Raven .25 Auto. I soon regretted it and traded it in for a Bersa single action .22...

First Married purchase went like this:
    Me: Hey Hon, guess what we're getting a $500 bonus at work!
    Her: Great!! What are we going to do with it?
    Me: Buy a 1911 .45
    Her: What's that??
    Me: a gun
    Her: I thought you already had a gun?
    Me: but this is an awesomer gun.... etc...etc...etc...:D

PoPo3

Oct 26, 2009
    Hagerstown, MD
    The first gun I ever bought was a Remington 700 BDL .270. It was used, with a scope and sling for $400.00. The lady I ended up buying it from gave me the rest of the shells in the box. She only shot it a few times. I saved all summer long mowing grass. At the end of the summer, I rolled up all my coins, counted my bills, and it came to $398 and some change. I looked at my dad and said, all I can come up with is $398. My dad said, "I think we can find $2 somewhere." I will never forget that. I was eleven and it is still my go-to deer rifle.

ssjones

Nov 22, 2008
    My uncle owned a sporting goods/gun store at Harvey's Lake, near Wilkes-Barre PA. I worked the store most of my summer and holiday vacations. He gave me my first gun, a Ithaca Model 66 20 gauge single-shot. Someone earlier mentioned you chose your shots carefully with a single-barrel! I sold it a few years later to another kid.
    9f7238c86825142fb4cd78d6edf2b1fd.jpg

My first pistol was is a Ruger MkII, purchased in '80, which I still own and fire

linthicum

Aug 29, 2009
    Not counting my air guns. My first gun was a Mossberg 410 single shot bolt action at the age of 9. At age 11 came the 16ga Ithaca 37 featherlight. Then at 14 years old came the Winchester model 1200. All handed down through the family and I still have them and always will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom