• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CelticWarrior

Feb 16, 2013
    I'm interested in going to the July 26 fun shoot but not sure what to expect and was hoping you all could help. First, my interest stems from my interest in getting into three gun.

I was planning on bringing a rifle, but should I bring a pistol too? Do I need a sling for my rifle? How much ammo should I bring? Any other pointers and suggestions would be welcome as well.

Thanks

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    It's first and foremost a pistol shoot, so take a pistol, extra mags, and plenty of ammo. 200 or 300 to be safe. An extra 100 in your car, just in case.

You can take a pistol caliber carbine and/or a shotgun, but you'll need some way to transport them, like a range cart. You could carry your carbine on a sling, and your gear in a big range bag or backpack.

You'll be walking with your squad from one "pit" or shooting bay to another, moving among seven pits. Two are in the "front", then you walk down a gravel round a couple hundred yards to the five "back" pits. So you'll need to lug your gear, which is why the shotgun/carbine guys have tactical range carts.

I've always shot pistol only, keeping it simple.

CelticWarrior

Feb 16, 2013
    Thanks for the info.

I was really hoping to shoot the rifle, but oh well. Should I get a good, dependable, holster or would we have to secure it anyway while moving from course to course?

Sorry for my ignorance... And probably doesn't help I'm from MD, the real reason I've never needed a holster. Haha

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    When shooting a funshoot at York IWLA you will NOT need a holster. You can carry your pistol in any type of pistol rug. Usually Gary uses some of the previous Multi-Gun Match "Stages", so you can see and shoot the same targets that you would have shot in the match. You will start from a Low Ready position. Please be aware of the muzzle end of the pistol rug, so when you "Pull It Out" it is facing down-range. Bring several mags, some stages could have 20 or more targets.
    York is a COLD RANGE, so don't handle the gun unless you are on the firing line and instructed to load by the RO. Bring the gun up to the firing line inside the rug. When the RO says to "MAKE READY" he will usually take and hold the rug so you can get ready. You can load and handle mags anywhere anytime, just don't handle the gun.
    You will see and shoot with all GRADES of shooters there, so don't worry about skill level, just have fun.
    Safety is the word of the day, safety violations will cause an immediate DQ, and you will unload and be finished for the day. So just watch the muzzle at all times and everything will be good.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    The York Fun Shoots are perfect for newbies. Tell them you are new and aim or being safe and learn the routines for safety. You will still have a good time.

If you have a holster you keep the handgun there unloaded, only removing it under the Safety Officers instruction. If no holster you put the gun in it's case after the stage and leave it there until the next stage.

If you read the blurb on the most recent blog post: http://www.yorkpistol.blogspot.com/
    you know it's pistol caliber carbine only this month. You are too late to sign up for this month, however.

Perhaps you can get a decent action pistol holster by then, but maybe it's better to go without and ask others what holster they prefer. The two biggies in the sport are Blade-Tech and Comp Tac. I prefer Blade Tech, but only after owning both. Steer clear of Blackhawk holsters...too many accidents happen with inexperienced shooters. You will end up with a collection of holster, so prepare yourself for that...:sad20:

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    "You are too late to sign up for this month, however."

I think you are confused with the Match Tomorrow. The match announcement has not gone out yet.

If you have the time you can come up tomorrow and watch the multi-gun match being held in the Morning in the back pits. It will show you some of what you will shoot at the next Funshoot.

Go to the link Bikebreath posted and keep an eye out for it. It should come out the Sunday before the match. Advance sign-up really helps him put squads together, keeping the talent on the squads mixed up, some experienced shooters, RO's and newbies will be squadded together.
    Kids with experience shooting are welcome, Dads can come up to the line and coach, the RO's will coach kids and newbies alike if it looks like they need it?
    You just might be squadded with the FNH 3 Gun Champion, he is a regular there. Kinda like EF Hutton, when he talks, everybody listens.

Just a Guy at the Range

Dec 13, 2011
    Gentlemen, you guys are the best, what more is there to be said. Thank you for being my spokesmen, and being quite accurate.

If an introduction to 3 gun, or just an casual day at the range with your buddies is for you, then we are it. We have come up with an ingeniously simply way of accomplishing both at the same venue. Our primary concern is the safety of our shooters, everything else is negotiable. Just brung what gear you got and we will make it work.

Watch our blog, www.yorkpistol.blogspot.com for the announcement next Sunday or Monday for more details. The action guys left us some really nice stages to play with.

For all other questions, email ghswope@gmail.com

gary

CelticWarrior

Feb 16, 2013
    Wow, thanks for all the great info. I plan on going tomorrow and sent in an email already.

Quick question, is there a waiting/watching area or will my wife be bored if she comes?

Thanks again

jbollman

MDCreeper
    Jul 9, 2009
    As long as she has Ear and Eye protection she can wait/watch at each stage with you.
    I would suggest she brings a camp chair.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Wow, thanks for all the great info. I plan on going tomorrow and sent in an email already.

Quick question, is there a waiting/watching area or will my wife be bored if she comes?

Thanks again

Let's see how good I do and Gary can fill in the holes...

She can watch, maybe even help paste targets and set steel targets back up. She will need to follow instructions from the RO's (Range Officers) on where stand and wear hearing protection and safety glasses.

How bored you wife is will depend on how much she likes the shooting sports. If she does I think it will amaze her if she hasn't been to one. If she's just going to see you and doesn't care about the sport then she might need to bring a book and a chair :D

How'd I do Gary?

Just a Guy at the Range

Dec 13, 2011
    Let's see how good I do and Gary can fill in the holes...

She can watch, maybe even help paste targets and set steel targets back up. She will need to follow instructions from the RO's (Range Officers) on where stand and wear hearing protection and safety glasses.

How bored you wife is will depend on how much she likes the shooting sports. If she does I think it will amaze her if she hasn't been to one. If she's just going to see you and doesn't care about the sport then she might need to bring a book and a chair :D

How'd I do Gary?

You did great, sorry I missed the tail of this thread.

Thanks to everyone who turned out Saturday, 55 was the count. This is two months in a row, now I am going to have to build another stage to keep you all from being bored....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom