• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • howard762

York Match Director
    Feb 2, 2012
    Stewartstown PA
    I am now taking applications for our 3 man 3 gun, or Team 3 gun on April 13th. This is great fun and it usually fills up quickly. I was hoping to have the application on our website and post a link, but that never happened. If you would like an application email me hkbrt(at)verizon.net

There are usually several teams from MDS at the match. If you want to shoot on an MDS squad be sure to note that on your application somewhere.

toobukume

Feb 19, 2010
    Westminster
    Openings?

Are there any openings left? Or a team looking for a third member? I've shot the York 3 Man 3 Gun two years ago and I'd like to get back into it...

Got a AR in 223 with Eotech and flip to side magnifier
    CZ 75 B (9mm)
    Mossberg 930 12 Ga

So that puts me in Tac Ops.

Anyone want me?

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Awesome, thanks for your help. Need more friends with all 3 guns!
    Should not be hard. I did the same thing last years as my first time and we jelled pretty well so decided to shoot again this year as a team. The more flexible you can be for a division can mean more opportunities but Tac Optics is the biggest division anyway.

LAW683

Nov 1, 2011
    yeah I think my team is gonna hate me this year for the division I forced us into with my new shotgun. A custom MKA1919. It was just too good looking and fun to shoot ( sorry photoracer)

But like the 3 years in past I've shot this match it's been a Blast.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    I'm interested. Never shot 3-gun before, but man it looks fun.

What all is necessary gear-wise? I have an 18" WOA AR with micro aimpoint (or some 16" ARs), Glock 34 (or 17), and an 18.5" 870 with a +2 extension (or a 26" with +3). Would that work?

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I have an 18" WOA AR with micro aimpoint (or some 16" ARs), Glock 34 (or 17), and an 18.5" 870 with a +2 extension (or a 26" with +3). Would that work?

You got the gear.

Reloading shotgun is your big time suck. I've shot with mag cap as few as 4 and as many as 9. Mo is betta in my mind but choose which works best for you.

All you need now is your zeros. Make sure you can hit targets with your ar from 200 yards to 2 yards- and let me tell you the 2 yard targets are a pain.....

toobukume

Feb 19, 2010
    Westminster
    yeah i remember that...with my zero - about dead at 50 and 200, high at 100, i'm actually about 2 inches low under 25 yards. when you're shooting at 4" wide clays at 3 yards and aiming at the center, you're actually zeroed on the bottom edge of the clay which isn't helping anyone. Definately have to know your hit points at all ranges and keep them in mind while shooting.

Actually, the one time I shot, I had a 870. If it's optional (depending on the stages), you can have teammates that have better shotgun setups handle the shotgun while you work the rifle.

Nate, if you want to team up with me, we'll have to find one more and we're set. I'm in it for the fun - and it's about the most fun you can have with a gun - not so much to win so I'm not concerned if we come in last (like my team did last time we shot, lol). That said one member of my team got me disqualified from two of the stages. If it weren't for that, we would have been middle-of-the-road.

Let me know and we can meet up at a range sometime. I actually still have to resight in my AR as I haven't been to the range since I messed around with my optics...

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    yeah I think my team is gonna hate me this year for the division I forced us into with my new shotgun. A custom MKA1919. It was just too good looking and fun to shoot ( sorry photoracer)

But like the 3 years in past I've shot this match it's been a Blast.
    I made the decision to shoot some open division this year as the open STI in my safe has been calling out to me since its been in there almost 12 months. Already had an offset red dot to put on the rifle. So converted my 930 from the factory mag tube to an RCI Xrail and extended it so I can go 12+1 if needed. Too cheap to go the entire 23 rd Xrail magazine route although it looks real cute when Jerry lites off 22 in about 10 seconds.
    That means I will be practicing Open this coming weekend at Peacemaker's 1st 3GunNation regional of the season. They never have more than 11 clays on a stage so I will not have to reload the shotgun or my pistol either with the big stick in it and I can now use my 30+18 or my new 40 rd Pmags.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    ...that's assuming you don't miss :D

I like to take the expected round count and bring double...just to be safe.
    Just because I don't plan to miss does not mean I don't have a belt full of pistol mags, shell caddies and Load2 brackets. So even though my STI pistol has 28 rounds in the mag does not mean I don't have at least another 20 rounder on my belt. But I have shot plenty of USPSA stages without a mag change except for the big 32 round stages. I rarely miss on the shotgun anyway I just don't want to reload any just-in-case rounds between stage sections. 1-2 over the round count is more than enough for me on clays or steel. And having a higher capacity makes those stages with steel that is shotgun or pistol more attractive to the use of the shotgun.

howard762

York Match Director
    Feb 2, 2012
    Stewartstown PA
    Guys, with the match getting close, and attendance very good I'm closing registration for the 3M3G on 3/31/14. Anything postmarked by then is good.

I do have one guy looking for a team. Just contacted tonight. If you're short email or pm me.

embermage

Sep 20, 2013
    Rising Sun
    When is the match and location? I'd like to come and watch. Never saw it done live before and want to see how it runs and what I need to add/change for my weapons to give it a try.

(Already have a MKA1919 ready to go, thinking of using a M1A SOCOM 16 and 1911)

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    When is the match and location? I'd like to come and watch. Never saw it done live before and want to see how it runs and what I need to add/change for my weapons to give it a try.

(Already have a MKA1919 ready to go, thinking of using a M1A SOCOM 16 and 1911)
    I don't think the MKA1919 is a legal shotgun in any of the Heavy Metal divisions. Not allowed a mag fed shotgun (yours or a Saiga) except in Open. Heavy Metal Optics allows a semi shotgun, tube fed only and HM Tactical allows a pump fed shotgun only. It is only legal in the Open division where you will be facing guys with STI racegun pistols w/ 27 rd mags and ARs with 40-60 rd mags and optics or red dots on all three guns. Heavy Metal is .308 rifle, .45 single stack pistol, and pump or semi shotgun 12ga only tube fed.
    Nothing says you can't try that setup in Open I just don't want you to have big expectations. Had a guy in my squad at the last PNTC 3-gun shooting an M1 Garand, 1911, and a pump shotgun in HMO. Had a red dot mounted on the rear of the M1.

Just a Guy at the Range

Dec 13, 2011
    M1919, is definitely open division, and a lot of fun.

You don't generally see a lot of STI open race rigs in 3 gun, they are just impractical, lots of Glock with dots.

Substitute the 1919 for a 12ga pump in Heavy metal or just run what you got in open and have a ball!

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    M1919, is definitely open division, and a lot of fun.

You don't generally see a lot of STI open race rigs in 3 gun, they are just impractical, lots of Glock with dots.

Substitute the 1919 for a 12ga pump in Heavy metal or just run what you got in open and have a ball!
    You are correct as most prefer a red dot Glock or a CORE M&P. I used to shoot a Sig P229 Sport with a slide mounted red dot and comped extension on the barrel about 3-4 years ago before selling it to get an STI for USPSA. I think the biggest issue in 3-gun pistols is holster safety. Not too many of the racegun holsters for STIs handle flopping on the ground as well as the fuller coverage holsters most of the striker-fired guns normally use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom