• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • extski

Aug 6, 2009
    Pasadena
    Once I get my XDm and take the NRA Basic Pistol and Basics of Personal Protection Outside the Home courses, and then personally feel comfortable enough, I'm going to apply for a FL CCW.

Originally I was thinking of getting a XDm .40 and using it for CCW, but now I'm wondering if it may be too big and if I should just get the XDm in 9mm for now, and then get something else which will be smaller in a .40 when I'm ready for CCW.

So was wondering how many of you use a XDm as CCW and is it comfortable enough for you? I'm guessing I may not get too many replies due to laws in MD, so going try to find a Springfield forum as well to post this question. But wanted to post here as well in case the Springfield forum may end up being more biased towards the XDm and say it's great for CCW :)

Anyway, I realize there will be personal preferences, etc. but trying to get some insight and opinions so when I buy the XDm next month, I will have a better idea if I should just go 9mm for now and get the .40 in something I know I will be using for CCW later.

If it makes any difference, I'm considering IWB crossdraw. Thanks.

Teemus

MSI Executive Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    I use several guns for CCW but the one I use the most is my Para Wart Hog. It's VERY small and holds 10 rounds of .45 ACP attitude changers. I wear the Smart Carry holster (www.smartcarry.com) which I find to be one of the MOST comfortable and COMPLETELY UNDETECTABLE holsters available.

During the winter when I'm wearing a coat all of the time, I carry my S&W Model 29 .44 magnum in a crossdraw shoulder holster from Lawman Leather.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I occasionally OC my XD(M), but it is too big and heavy to CC really well. For CC, I cary an M&P 9c, and occaionally in winter months a GLOCK 30.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I don't think the XDM has a compact size, does it? It's a nearly 6" barrel I think. I tried to CCW my XD 9mm, service model (4" barrel) last time we were in Maine and it was borderline ridiculous.

Try the xd forums. I have my eye on a XD .40 sc whenever I apply for my non-res FL permit.

Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    I normally carry my XD40, it about as big as I would go for comfort. I use a crossbreed supertuck right behind my right hip. It's a little harder to conceal than the Kahr K40 I also carry but I prefer not to carry an extra mag and the XD fits the bill with 13 rounds to get you out of harms way. I think the XDM would be a little to much personally. An XD SC wouold probably be an even better choice. Most little guns are to small for my hands for me to shoot well under duress including my Kahr... I pull it every time unless I'm really paying atention.

extski

Aug 6, 2009
    Pasadena
    I don't think the XDM has a compact size, does it?

Unfortunately they don't. And from searching around, it looks like they are not intending in making one. From what I've read, the XDm was intended as a match pistol and Springfield has no plans of making a compact version of the XDm. But that is just from what I've read from other posts.

extski - I think you have a good plan, though I would suggest applying for the FLA CCW now, as lead times seem to be several months and by then, you will likely complete your courses.

Good call, thanks for the suggestion. My original plan was to wait until I got a pistol next month so I could do the Basic Course with my own pistol. Plus from what I've read, FL won't take our MD safety license as an approved training document if it was done from the web and has no signature. But I'm going to start looking for the next Basic Course and just use their pistol so I can get it started like you said, then take the other courses once I get my pistol next month.

I'm probably going to push the XDm .40 one more month into Nov and get a Sig P226 Elite Stainless in 9mm next month instead. Last month was the Ruger 22/45 and this month is the Ruger Redhawk .44mag.

As of now, I'm kind of leaning towards the Glock 27 once I'm ready to CCW. But I want to test it out first before buying it, still kind of concerned about the grip being short for me personally.

jwalker3181

Aspiring Zombie Hunter
    Sep 14, 2008
    Baltimore
    I don't think the XDM has a compact size, does it? It's a nearly 6" barrel I think. I tried to CCW my XD 9mm, service model (4" barrel) last time we were in Maine and it was borderline ridiculous.

Try the xd forums. I have my eye on a XD .40 sc whenever I apply for my non-res FL permit.
    XDm has a 4.5 inch barrel, I've tried it CCW but it is a bit big. I'm going to an XDSC in .40

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alfontso

Latest threads

Top Bottom