• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    I know I'm all over with these 9mm pistol posts lately. A family member stopped by to visit us this weekend and we went to Atlantic Guns in Rockville. As always... lots of eye-candy, but he really liked the Springfield Armory XdM 3.8 9mm Compact. He likes it so much, that when he gets home he's gonna find one and buy it.

I figure I'd touch base with you guys and ask for opinions on this gun. Any experiences? We both read some online comments and watched Hickok's video on it.

Thanks!
    :thumbsup:

springfield-xdm-38-compact-9mm.jpg

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    I've got the 4.5" 9mm XDm in Bi-Tone and it is a great gun that I shoot very well. I'd definitely recommend it.

Ironsighter

It's "Citizen," not "Civilian"
    May 10, 2011
    Down South
    I like my non-compact XDM 3.8. Goes bang. Bullet goes where directed. Empties come out. New rounds go in. Takes down easily. Light. Came with neat accessories and a nice case. The compact has the option to use the longer mag to make it the same size, which is a nice option. Reliable so far with various types of ammo.

frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    I have an XDm 4.5 chambered in .40. Love it. But I also looked at the M&P and FNS and FNX. Came down to how it fit in my hand. The XDm fit the best.

TheGibster

Aug 17, 2010
    Dorchester County
    I have the 9mm version and have had zero malfunctions (approx 300 rds). I like the adjustable grip capability and the flexibility of 2 magazine sizes. My first and (so far) only poly gun.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    They are everything I want on paper. I hate the trigger. It is worse than my Glock trigger, and I hate that trigger too. Yes, I am a trigger sob.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Have the XD 4.5 and love it. Functions fine reguardless of ammo and has a great point of aim.
    The XD's are fine pistols imo:)

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    They are everything I want on paper. I hate the trigger. It is worse than my Glock trigger, and I hate that trigger too. Yes, I am a trigger sob.

I think term is "trigger diva" ;)

I have an xdm45 with the regular and extended mags and I am shooting it more accurately than my Glock 19.

kmb

Ultimate Member
    Jul 20, 2011
    First pistol I ever fired in my search for a alternate HD weapon. I loved it. Didn't go with it in the end. Think it'd be a great carry piece if you'd ever need one. But I'd compare it to anything from Glock and S&W. The prices on them were a lot lower than they are now over a year ago. You also get a lot with the XDM so consider that when comparing to other pistols.

FlatsFlite

Aug 6, 2012
    King George, VA
    I have the XDm 5.25 in .45acp; my VA buddy carries the XDm in 3.8 .40

The XDs have proven to be extremely reliable defense weapons that will sustain a lot of abuse. In my experience, shooting both XDs and XDms, there’s a much bigger difference in appearance than there is in the accuracy. The 5.25 is the only exception.

While every XD or XDm, I’ve shot has been very accurate, the 5.25 is a tack driver. Just don’t ever plan on concealed carry with the 5.25 unless you are a big guy. It’s a fairly good sized piece of plastic/steel.

By the way, I've never had a failure and it will eat any ammo you throw in it.

jmcgonig

Jan 18, 2012
    Germantown, MD
    I have the XDm 5.25 in .45acp; my VA buddy carries the XDm in 3.8 .40

The XDs have proven to be extremely reliable defense weapons that will sustain a lot of abuse. In my experience, shooting both XDs and XDms, there’s a much bigger difference in appearance than there is in the accuracy. The 5.25 is the only exception.

While every XD or XDm, I’ve shot has been very accurate, the 5.25 is a tack driver. Just don’t ever plan on concealed carry with the 5.25 unless you are a big guy. It’s a fairly good sized piece of plastic/steel.

By the way, I've never had a failure and it will eat any ammo you throw in it.

My 5.25 isn't any more accurate than my 3.8. Could be the user, but what ammo do you find most accurate in your 5.25?

FlatsFlite

Aug 6, 2012
    King George, VA
    Xdm

I mostly use 230 Federal from Wallmart. Here are couple slow fire 3-shot groups at 22 yards. There was a mud puddle between 23-25 yard mark that day. The dots are about an 1" in diameter.

It'll shoot groups like these at 50 yards off the bag with the same ammo. The Tulu crap shoots pretty good, but three out of 10 are fliers; and it's some seriously dirty ammo.

I would like to start loading some reduced loads with 185s to tame the recoil, so I can pick up the pace and still be accurate.

Attachments

• Group 2.jpg
      Group 2.jpg
      64.8 KB · Views: 264
    • Group 3.jpg
      Group 3.jpg
      67.3 KB · Views: 326
    • Group 4.jpg
      Group 4.jpg
      64.2 KB · Views: 270

J.T

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    MD
    Great gun. I'm on my 2nd one. Could use a trigger upgrade but i'm used to a tuned 1911 trigger so others may find no issue with it

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom