WWII Nazi Paratrooper's Helmet and SS Dagger questions...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kazan182

Aug 3, 2011
    I have these two items I am trying to get info on. I am hoping someone here can help with ID both of the items. Both were purchased from Vets in the last few years.

I have looked them up and can find near exact items in several references but not 'exact.' I was told the helmet is a circa 1939 paratroopers helmet that is like the one worn during the invasion of Poland. I have been offered nearly $3K for the helmet just via sending photos but no one, not one of the folks I have talked to (and there has been a few), will give me the exact info on the helmet. I have made it clear I need to put them up for auction for the owner so I think they may not want the real info out there as they want to bid on them themselves. The helmet liner is a model too big for the helmet. I was told this was an "in the field" fix for a soldier who found a wrong size helmet and tried to make it fit.
    I know the dagger was a 'put together' as the cross does not come with the dagger and is missing the original chain. The wire running from the cross (which I think is real as well as the dagger) has the markings Germany used during WWII.

Any info would be great or another place I could post the pics for more information.

Attachments

• DSCF7805.jpg
      DSCF7805.jpg
      87.5 KB · Views: 270
    • DSCF7797.jpg
      DSCF7797.jpg
      116.9 KB · Views: 265
    • DSCF7799.jpg
      DSCF7799.jpg
      82.5 KB · Views: 268
    • DSCF7807.jpg
      DSCF7807.jpg
      95.9 KB · Views: 265
    • DSCF7811.jpg
      DSCF7811.jpg
      71.6 KB · Views: 262
    • DSCF7780.jpg
      DSCF7780.jpg
      106.1 KB · Views: 263
    • DSCF7770.jpg
      DSCF7770.jpg
      55.5 KB · Views: 255
    • DSCF7785.jpg
      DSCF7785.jpg
      90.6 KB · Views: 263
    • DSCF7791.jpg
      DSCF7791.jpg
      75.7 KB · Views: 262
    • DSCF7773.jpg
      DSCF7773.jpg
      74.6 KB · Views: 265

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    That liner doesn't look original to the helmet.

Looks like it was designed for a larger helmet and severely pinched in to fit.

Can't imagine anyone wearing that during war time.

Best to check the authenticity prior to listing it.

screamingeagle

Mar 7, 2010
    It's a late war authentic paratrooper helmet as stated liner is wrong size.The late war ones have the slotted bolts yours has.These are generally less desirable than the early war ones. In addition to the liner being wrong it probably was put in post war to enhance the value. Don't sell to a dealer, he will low ball you because he needs to make a profit. With the info I just gave you and the issue with the liner I would say it would sell for approx 3,500 to 5,000. The dagger is not put together IMO the cross obviously was just added. Yes it's missing the chain but a lot for sale are. The wood doesn't match up perfectly with the hilt because over time the wood shrank from drying out. With the crack in the handle the condition of the blade and being a less desirable maker RMZ, I would say you may get 1,500 to 2,000 for the dagger.

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    It's a late war authentic paratrooper helmet as stated liner is wrong size.The late war ones have the slotted bolts yours has.These are generally less desirable than the early war ones. In addition to the liner being wrong it probably was put in post war to enhance the value. Don't sell to a dealer, he will low ball you because he needs to make a profit. With the info I just gave you and the issue with the liner I would say it would sell for approx 3,500 to 5,000. The dagger is not put together IMO the cross obviously was just added. Yes it's missing the chain but a lot for sale are. The wood doesn't match up perfectly with the hilt because over time the wood shrank from drying out. With the crack in the handle the condition of the blade and being a less desirable maker RMZ, I would say you may get 1,500 to 2,000 for the dagger.

I though RZM stood for Reichszeugmeisterei and was more of an approval stamp than a makers mark.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reichszeugmeisterei

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nestor875

Latest threads

Top Bottom