WWII Luger in need of Gunsmith -- Recommendations?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bananas79

Apr 11, 2021
    Have a WWII Luger that I would like repaired so looking for suggestions on a good gunsmith... but would also love to hear thoughts on that if anyone thinks I should leave it alone.

My dad was in pacific and his best friend was in Europe. The friend brought the luger back and gave it to my dad... and its now mine. When I was younger I took it to the range a half dozen times -- and its probably been well over a decade since I fired it -- but it would pretty frequently misfire -- as in I would have to pull the trigger 2-3 sometimes for the round to go off.

Its been a while, but I think it would sometimes happen 2-3x per magazine. I have tried both magazines and issue exists in both.

So ideally, I would prefer that the firearm was in perfect working order. So I am interested in finding a good gunsmith to take a look.

But at same time, I dont want to mess it up... devalue or ruin it either. And im not sure how I feel about actually replacing a part so it wasnt all original.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Have a WWII Luger that I would like repaired so looking for suggestions on a good gunsmith... but would also love to hear thoughts on that if anyone thinks I should leave it alone.

My dad was in pacific and his best friend was in Europe. The friend brought the luger back and gave it to my dad... and its now mine. When I was younger I took it to the range a half dozen times -- and its probably been well over a decade since I fired it -- but it would pretty frequently misfire -- as in I would have to pull the trigger 2-3 sometimes for the round to go off.

Its been a while, but I think it would sometimes happen 2-3x per magazine. I have tried both magazines and issue exists in both.

So ideally, I would prefer that the firearm was in perfect working order. So I am interested in finding a good gunsmith to take a look.

But at same time, I dont want to mess it up... devalue or ruin it either. And im not sure how I feel about actually replacing a part so it wasnt all original.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
    Depending on the part that is replaced, who would ever know? I don't think all parts on a Luger are serialized, and IMO it would be better if the gun functioned correctly than if it had all original parts, which it may not have anyway. Heck, that might be part of the issue.

AirCav73

Mar 19, 2011
    North Carolina
    You may want to reach out to this gentleman. His shop is in Bucks County Pa and you maybe able to take the pistol to his shop.

I own several Lugers and the one of the most important elements in dollar value is matching numbers. There are lots of small parts that are serialed number to the pistol. Most small parts are marked by the last two digits of the serial number.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Depending on what it needs, you could replace the parts needed to make it functional, and keep the originals in a safe place for collector value.

Bananas79

Apr 11, 2021
    Depending on what it needs, you could replace the parts needed to make it functional, and keep the originals in a safe place for collector value.
    Now that is a SOLID idea that I absolutely didnt think of. Thanks Art

Bananas79

Apr 11, 2021
    Thank you everyone! Really appreciate the suggestions.

Think I will start with Lugerman and go from there.

VR

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom