• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    4.5 acres of river frontage on the Cacapon with a tiny home and one heck of a nice garage that could easily be turned into a "Barndominium." Water, Septic/Sewer, and Electric there. HOA, but only $165/year. It'd make a nice camp for those with more means than I. Probably one to keep an eye on to see if it drops to a more reasonable price as the market continues to settle down in the more rural areas. It's just below the old power dam, so very close to the Potomac and the MD border.

A bit further up river, but still south of the Forks of Capon, is this nice one: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/422-Cliff-Dr-Great-Cacapon-WV-25422/2057025936_zpid/

Less land, but still has river frontage, no chance of flooding for the house, and it's rather nice inside (turn-key). Would make a nice getaway or retirement if you are a fan of fishing.

335 Meadow Wood Cir, Great Cacapon, WV 25422 is under contract actually not bad at all. 1 hour from Frederick, Md.

422 Cliff Dr, Great Cacapon, WV 25422
    Is nice, price is a little high, I’d really investigate flooding risks due to proximity of river but on the other hand a great place to have a retreat and enjoy the natural environment.

Last edited:

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Forgot to follow up. This place sold for 132k sight unseen to a young couple from above New York. I think they made a mistake. But maybe they were looking for freedom.

21 acres with power and a well. 40min drive to Ruby. Sounds like a reasonable deal to me.

As for the mineral rights: If there aren't already wells in the area and if nobody is mining the mountain for lime, chances of having any untoward effects from extraction are pretty low. Coal mining is dead and will remain dead.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    335 Meadow Wood Cir, Great Cacapon, WV 25422 is under contract actually not bad at all. 1 hour from Frederick, Md.

422 Cliff Dr, Great Cacapon, WV 25422
    Is nice, price is a little high, I’d really investigate flooding risks due to proximity of river but on the other hand a great place to have a retreat and enjoy the natural environment.
    422 Cliff Dr. is entirely out of the flood zone according to the state's flood risk assessment.
    If it came down $40k and I could get someone to go in with me, I'd probably bite.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Listed & removed @ $148k in 2019

Sold @ $85k July 2023

November 2023 listed @ $298k ?

That's a heck of a flip mark up of $213k .

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Any land for sale in Grant Co., WV which is right below Garrett Co. ? Gormania and Bayard are right below me.
    Just from a Zillow search:

81.61 acres in Southern Grant Co. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/...treat-Dr-Petersburg-WV-26847/2055073826_zpid/

4.04 acres of nice land on the north side of the Hopeville Canyon, North Fork Mountain in Cabins, WV: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1-1-Smoke-Hole-Rd-2-Cabins-WV-26855/2055426210_zpid/

67 acres on the North Branch just east of Gormania (literally on the eastern edge of "town") but it's pricey due to the riverfront: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/Route-50-Hwy-Gormania-WV-26720/2055800964_zpid/

38 long, skinny acres of hillside up a holler from Patterson Creek in Williamsport, WV (middle of nowhere): https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/38-Williamsport-Rd-Burlington-WV-26710/2055872280_zpid/

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Family members are selling their property in Preston county WV.
    85 acres, very secluded, has running water ,sewage and eletric and brick 3 story four bedroom house.
    I have use of it and have set up up to250yard targets.
    no close neighbors. plenty of atv trails ,etc.
    I will miss use of house, range, and at trails once it gets sold.
    primo hunting land. Have seen deer , bear, turkey, with occasional coyote but mostly deer.

believe they are asking in the 225,000 range.
    interested send me pm and I will put you in touch with owners

I do not own property, just allowed to use it as family member. I will put you in touch with owners if interested.

I will be up there first week in April to allow access if owners agree.

Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    Family members are selling their property in Preston county WV.
    85 acres, very secluded, has running water ,sewage and eletric and brick 3 story four bedroom house.
    I have use of it and have set up up to250yard targets.
    no close neighbors. plenty of atv trails ,etc.
    I will miss use of house, range, and at trails once it gets sold.
    primo hunting land. Have seen deer , bear, turkey, with occasional coyote but mostly deer.

believe they are asking in the 225,000 range.
    interested send me pm and I will put you in touch with owners

I do not own property, just allowed to use it as family member. I will put you in touch with owners if interested.

I will be up there first week in April to allow access if owners agree.
    Please provide more information about land in Preston's county. thx
    Vince

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Not a bad little place on 5ac near Romney. Could make a good weekend getaway place with enough TLC.

Noteworthy that it'll likely need some sort of foundation coating to prevent water infiltration in the basement. Nothing that a sump or enough Drylok can't fix. $170 could probably be negotiated down to handle those issues. Look like it needs gutters and a roof as well. All that shag carpet could be yours! Short drive to Short Mountain, Nathaniel Mountain, and Short Mill Ridge WMAs for deer, grouse, and turkey.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Not a bad little place on 5ac near Romney. Could make a good weekend getaway place with enough TLC.

Noteworthy that it'll likely need some sort of foundation coating to prevent water infiltration in the basement. Nothing that a sump or enough Drylok can't fix. $170 could probably be negotiated down to handle those issues. Look like it needs gutters and a roof as well. All that shag carpet could be yours! Short drive to Short Mountain, Nathaniel Mountain, and Short Mill Ridge WMAs for deer, grouse, and turkey.

Not much of a "getaway" since it's sitting right on Rt. 50.

bcr229

FFL/SOT
    Jul 15, 2011
    Inwood, WV
    Not much of a "getaway" since it's sitting right on Rt. 50.
    And it's on the stretch with a passing lane so it's steep enough that trucks go by fairly slowly and noisily. I know because I drive it several times a year taking my daughter to/from WVU Potomac State. No thanks.

Last edited:

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Great thread!

Sure am glad it didn’t get started until AFTER we found our present place in WNC, haha!

Honestly, a couple of these listings have had me actually toying w the idea of snagging one cuz, well, WV!

bcr229

FFL/SOT
    Jul 15, 2011
    Inwood, WV
    And it's on the stretch with a passing lane so it's steep enough that trucks go by fairly slowly and noisily. I know because I drive it several times a year taking my daughter to/from WVU Potomac State. No thanks. Also the house sits close enough to the road that you can stand on Rt 50, throw a rock, and hit the front door.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom