• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    If night vision is outlawed, only outlaws will have night vision......

Erick

Sep 13, 2013
    yes, such laws are all about supporting the liberal idea of the gov't having/deserving/needing a monoply on defensive technology.

On that note my NV and my firearms are indeed closely connected.

I finally got my personal PVS 14 and will live-fire train in WV w/ my PVS 14 at night with my defensive rifle once a month.
    Just ordered my DBAL too.

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    i give it about 5 years before some cell phones have built in oem thermal imagers, and many smart devices have camera sensors sensitive enough to qualify as digital NV.

I had an older cell phone that did have night vision. Would this mean that carrying the cell phone while hunting, shooting or carrying would make me a criminal? What about night vision carrying a knife?

Only the police and military should have night vision??

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Worse still are numerous conflicts where you can be legal according to the criminal statutes but in violation of hunting regulations. A trooper may not arrest you for something that a DNR cop will.

They've been working for years to resolve those conflicts, but who knows where they all stand right now.

Do you think it is any different in Maryland. If I am merely shooting a firearm, there is no distance requirement from a dwelling in the Maryland criminal code. However, the moment I am hunting, then the distance from a dwelling needs to be 150 yards or I need written permission from the occupants of the dwelling.

Is there a Maryland criminal statute that says one cannot keep a loaded shotgun in the vehicle? I don't think so. However, there is a DNR statute that states that, and even having one round in the mag is considered loaded. FYI - troppers, county, and DNR police can site you with any of the criminal or DNR code violations.

Now, if the WV criminal code contradicts the WV DNR code, then you have an issue. Otherwise, there is no actual conflict. Just because the criminal code section does not say it is illegal, does not mean it isn't enumerated as illegal under the DNR code, and vice versa.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I was really surprised to see alot of WV hunters at Green Ridge with out of state licenses. They explained to me that WV is not very friendly to hunters. I wouldnt have guessed.

A large portion of WV, near MD, is a "bedroom community" for DC. Property prices have drawn lots of out of towners.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Night vision, body armor, cannon fuse, dildos, there's absolutely nothing the control freaks won't go after if there's any possible way it can be misused!

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Now, if the WV criminal code contradicts the WV DNR code, then you have an issue. Otherwise, there is no actual conflict. Just because the criminal code section does not say it is illegal, does not mean it isn't enumerated as illegal under the DNR code, and vice versa.

There are contradictions in carrying a handgun for defense and carrying a handgun for "hunting". A walk in the woods for the purposes of personal defense with a handgun may be legal, but carrying it for "hunting" is not.

The problem is who determines what you are doing on that walk.

I'd have to go back several years ago to find all of the semantics of the language when I was working with WVCDL's now-dead president to work through some of that stuff. I don't think they ever got it all resolved.

Feb 28, 2013
    So poaching in WV is having night vision and any firearm (even if no shots fired) on your person.

If you are in your car and there is a 12 pack of Coors with you (even if you haven't been drinking), is it a DUI?

WV DNR cops must be psychic. Charging people as criminals before the inevitable crime. :rolleyes:

That's more of that wonderful "constructive intent" theory.:tdown:

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    If you'd get on Facebook and access the WVCDL forum, you'd see that there is more to the story than being discussed here. The way I understand it, this really was not a night vision bill, but rather was to allow for more hunting at night to get rid of coyotes, etc. One leader was thinking about striking the words night vision, but that remains to be seen.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    There are contradictions in carrying a handgun for defense and carrying a handgun for "hunting". A walk in the woods for the purposes of personal defense with a handgun may be legal, but carrying it for "hunting" is not.

The problem is who determines what you are doing on that walk.

I'd have to go back several years ago to find all of the semantics of the language when I was working with WVCDL's now-dead president to work through some of that stuff. I don't think they ever got it all resolved.

A judge or a jury.

It is legal to discharge a gun in Howard County only in a couple of limited circumstances based upon county ordinance. Two of those are self defense and hunting.

Now, who determines if I am hunting or target shooting?

It is illegal to hunt deer with a cartridge developing less than 1,200 ft/lbs. Well, how exactly do they determine if the cartridge you shot the deer with developed 1,200 ft/lbs.?

Here is another good one. It is illegal to possess lead shot ammo while waterfowl hunting, but completely legal to possess lead shot ammo while dove hunting. The seasons virtually overlap each other. I've been in the blind with cut corn all around with doves buzzing us, but was unable to shoot the doves because we had waterfowl decoys all around us and shooting doves with T and BBB Hevi-Shot is ineffective and expensive.

There are so many BS regs out there that really come down to intent, that it really isn't funny.

Guessing that if the game warden doesn't see you shoot, dressed in hunter orange, stalking up on deer, sitting in a tree stand, etc., then you are alright. The more it looks like you are out hunting, the greater chance you will be charged. Are you out there with a 9mm that is pretty ineffective for deer, or a T&C single shot handgun loaded with a rifle round, or a 44 magnum?

There are a lot of laws out there that suck. Why do I have to use steel or some other non-toxic shot when hunting waterfowl in the middle of a field with absolutely no water around? Why can't there be a 250, 200, 150 yard requirement within water before one has to use non-toxic shot?

So much BS out there regulation wise, it is insane. Maryland has two code books worth of DNR code. Meanwhile, the Corporations & Associations code is only a single code book.

I am not trying to argue with you. Just don't want you to think that WV is so much worse, if at all, compared to Maryland when it comes to DNR regs.

Judge or jury, but dragging a dead deer behind you at night with night vision goggles on your head or in your backpack would be a pretty easy conviction, especially if the game warden saw you pull the trigger with his/her night vision goggles.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    UPDATE:

Night Vision Update
    A thank you is in order to our membership and supporters. Your activism on the proposed night vision ban has been heard. We believe that one of two things will now happen.

1. The DNR bills will run in both houses without any language referencing night vision.

2. A variation of the original bill may run, but with drastically modified language. If that runs, the provisions that make one guilty of poaching simply for having in his or her possession night vision (or a drone) and a firearm will be fixed.

Either option is a win for gun owners. The original bill made, except under very limited circumstances, having night vision and a firearm at the same time a crime. We expect that a new version of the bill will fix that.

We expect option 2 to happen. And we expect it to happen in a way that protects gun owners. We will update as the situation develops.

At this time, we are no longer requesting calls and emails to legislators, as we are receiving assurances from both the House and Senate that our concerns are being addressed.

I'd like to provide special thanks on behalf of WV's gun owners to Senator Robert Karnes (R-Upshur) for working closely with us on this matter.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    UPDATE:

Night Vision Update
    A thank you is in order to our membership and supporters. Your activism on the proposed night vision ban has been heard. We believe that one of two things will now happen.

1. The DNR bills will run in both houses without any language referencing night vision.

2. A variation of the original bill may run, but with drastically modified language. If that runs, the provisions that make one guilty of poaching simply for having in his or her possession night vision (or a drone) and a firearm will be fixed.

Either option is a win for gun owners. The original bill made, except under very limited circumstances, having night vision and a firearm at the same time a crime. We expect that a new version of the bill will fix that.

We expect option 2 to happen. And we expect it to happen in a way that protects gun owners. We will update as the situation develops.

At this time, we are no longer requesting calls and emails to legislators, as we are receiving assurances from both the House and Senate that our concerns are being addressed.

I'd like to provide special thanks on behalf of WV's gun owners to Senator Robert Karnes (R-Upshur) for working closely with us on this matter.

It's too bad more people don't pay attention to the stupid things their legislators propose. They see one little problem (poaching) and look to ban the entire technology. I forget which douche it is in the Maryland GA who proposed that we ban 3D printing because people can make guns. Not just banning guns mind you, but banning the entire technology. Not a clue what the implications could be for businesses using it for other purposes. :sad20:

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    It's too bad more people don't pay attention to the stupid things their legislators propose. They see one little problem (poaching) and look to ban the entire technology. I forget which douche it is in the Maryland GA who proposed that we ban 3D printing because people can make guns. Not just banning guns mind you, but banning the entire technology. Not a clue what the implications could be for businesses using it for other purposes. :sad20:

In WV it can be an easy sell on the hunting grounds because to many people, owning guns equates with hunting. When the guys down there and I talk, they alway want to know if I hunt.

I reply that I just like to shoot guns :D

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Liberals love to regulate everything. If it can't be regulated-they want it banned.

They are like a cancer on society.

hope we can find a cure soon

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    UPDATE:

Night Vision Update

Good job Norton.

Now, see if you can do the same thing with the repeal of SB281/FSA2013.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009

That guy's head would explode if you clued him into the fact that people can make guns at home right now without 3D printing. With an 80%, a jig, a drill press, and/or a router, they can make a gun. With a CnC machine, some code, and a block of aluminum, they can make a gun. People could probably make a gun just with some hand tools and some metal.

Holy smokes, we would have to ban all the tools in the world, and nobody would be allowed to possess any metal of any kind. Oh man, then there is polymer. Have to ban plastic too.

When I told one of my liberal friends that I could make a gun at home, her head just about exploded. Some people just go to and from work, and then stick their head in the sand when they get home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom