• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gmercury2000

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2013
    Gambrills
    So I'm headed home earlier and right around the corner is this wonderful private school! Upon turning onto the street this school is on (which is leading into my neighborhood) the sides of the street is clearly posted no parking btw 2 pm and 4 pm M-F. This is the third time I have nearly hit a kid because the stupid f------ parents can't read and park there anyways and just let their kids run across the street with no regard what so ever. First off when I'm in a housing area I drive well below the posted speed limit which is why I have been lucky thus far. Idk how many other people have had these close calls but it's getting rediculious. We have called the school numerous times with little luck as shortly there after they are parking there again. We have called the police numerous times, the problem is by the time they get there the cars are gone (no fault of the PD, there is simply a very short window but that's all it takes) what else can be done to fix this issue. I'm going to try the aaco traffic safety division next week and hopefully get something done. Sry had to rant!!!!

MonkeyPunch

Feb 23, 2013
    Montgomery County
    So I'm headed home earlier and right around the corner is this wonderful private school! Upon turning onto the street this school is on (which is leading into my neighborhood) the sides of the street is clearly posted no parking btw 2 pm and 4 pm M-F. This is the third time I have nearly hit a kid because the stupid f------ parents can't read and park there anyways and just let their kids run across the street with no regard what so ever. First off when I'm in a housing area I drive well below the posted speed limit which is why I have been lucky thus far. Idk how many other people have had these close calls but it's getting rediculious. We have called the school numerous times with little luck as shortly there after they are parking there again. We have called the police numerous times, the problem is by the time they get there the cars are gone (no fault of the PD, there is simply a very short window but that's all it takes) what else can be done to fix this issue. I'm going to try the aaco traffic safety division next week and hopefully get something done. Sry had to rant!!!!

Something similar happened to my wife - parents were parking in a no-park zone to pick up their kids from the bus drop-off (to drive their kids 4 blocks home...wtf?). It was especially dangerous because it blocked the single entrance to the neighborhood.

To resolve the issue, people would park a bit farther down (safe area), get out of their cars, take pictures of the offenders' cars, and then tell them they were calling the cops and would hand over the pictures unless they moved their car down a block. Some less motivated people would simply honk and curse at the parked parents. Cleared up in a couple of weeks.

Mr H

Banana'd
    It's "I Want" syndrome.

People--especially those who feel they are of some means (whether they really are or not)--seem to simply feel entitled to do what they want to do, regardless of what the rest of us know to be proper.

If you were to ask them, I'm sure the overwhelming majority of answers would be "I'm just here for a minute," or "I didn't know," or even "MYOB, axxhole."

The "It's all about me and screw you" mindset is growing.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    IFTC...it's for the children. That's all you need to keep in mind.

Locks only keep honest people honest.

Rules are only followed by the folks who respect them.

Increasingly, as any sense of individual/personal accountability plummets, more and more folks figure they can do whatever they want, whenever and wherever they want.

Good luck getting over it. That particular behavior is only likely to change if (heaven forbid), someone is hurt, injured or even killed. Welcome to the new normal.

Mx121

Jan 26, 2013
    Severn
    Worth a shot. I know with public school problems the board of education seems to handle things better and faster then the schools do in AAco.

It's "I Want" syndrome.

People--especially those who feel they are of some means (whether they really are or not)--seem to simply feel entitled to do what they want to do, regardless of what the rest of us know to be proper.

If you were to ask them, I'm sure the overwhelming majority of answers would be "I'm just here for a minute," or "I didn't know," or even "MYOB, axxhole."

i fully agree with you

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Dont call Traffic, call their Outreach office if they have one. They handle this type of neighborhood reoccurring problem, that isnt necessarily an emergency. They get involved at meetings as well as enforcement. Good luck!

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    Try this...

Walk up to each car and very nicely say:

You: "Hi. I was wondering... Do you know why we're not allowed to park here at certain times?"

Them: (Something to the effect of), "They don't want us to park here to pick up/drop of our kids".

You: "Actually, it's so a child won't run out from between the cars and get hit by another car going by. If these cars aren't parked here, drivers could see a child before they run into the street. Now I know you're only going to be here for a minute, but how long do you think it might take for a child to run out from in front of/in back of your car and maybe get hit? (Pause) And if that happened, how long do you think it might take you to get over it?"

Then simply walk away and give them something to think about for a minute.

If they still don't "get it" after that, put a tire iron through their windshield.

swahl61

May 19, 2013
    Unfortunately it has gotten to the point in this world that most people just don't feel like the rules apply to them anymore. They figure they will just live for today, and not worry about tomorrow, or for that matter, worry about what may or may not happen to anyone else, because they only care for themselves.

Welcome to the on demand, immediate gratification society...

Gmercury2000

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2013
    Gambrills
    Lol so many great ideas, ill have to pick up a few tire irons and some cold beer!

Seriously though, I know personally I would have a hard time living with myself if I just hit a kid or worse. That's why this pisses me off so much. If the parents acted like they had sense and taught their kids common sense it wouldn't be so bad. Now seeing how common sense almost no longer exists i dont hold them to much of a standard! But when the parents feel the rules don't apply how can one expect their kids to care. They can keep it up but I refuse to stop perusing the issue till it stops or something worse happens and it then becomes a more obvious issue. Like others said, people feel the rules don't apply to them. Then when their kid gets hurt it still won't be their fault because they were only there for a minute! So they did nothing wrong.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    It's "I Want" syndrome.

Agreed.

The number of people who park in strip mall fire lanes is incredible. "I'm just going into the store for one thing"

The "I am more important than you/rules don't apply to me" attitude has always been around. Some neighborhoods seem to have a lot more trouble with it than others. Annapolis is a big problem area.

laxman63

Jan 25, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    If the school you speak of is located on Symphony Lane, then to save myself the aggravation and the possibility of hitting one of the students, I would just go up to Maytime and turn into the community there.

I know you are trying to look out for the welfare of the kids and it isn't "right" that the idiot parents are making you go "the long way around," but knowing you won't be the one to make one of their kids go "splat," will do wonders for your blood pressure in the long run!

JMHO! :)

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    People are rude, fcking pricks. Simple as that. Things would be much better if life worked as smoothly as a 4 way stop on a military base. Ever notice how everyone does everything right and how in sync that is? Its like ballet.
    Consideration of others, works.

Sent from somewhere in the world.

Last edited:

Gmercury2000

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2013
    Gambrills
    If the school you speak of is located on Symphony Lane, then to save myself the aggravation and the possibility of hitting one of the students, I would just go up to Maytime and turn into the community there.

I know you are trying to look out for the welfare of the kids and it isn't "right" that the idiot parents are making you go "the long way around," but knowing you won't be the one to make one of their kids go "splat," will do wonders for your blood pressure in the long run!

JMHO! :)

It is the one on Symphony actually, on the days I realize what time it is I will take Maytime. But there are days I just don't think about the time and go down Symphony. Trust me if I can avoid it I do! Lol I know that when the original plans were drawn up Symphony was not supposed to be a thru street which is a whole other issue with it becoming a drag strip. Believe me I have no problems going the long way around, heck before the school that was the only way.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    Rules are never followed unless consequence is enforced. In this state, it's usually done the wrong way.

Sad thing is nowadays examples are made out of the folks who actually care instead of those that don't simply because its easier and requires less work.

Welcome to the liberal and immoral state of Maryland.

The even sadder thing is if u did hit one of the kids, those type of common sense lacking parents would be the first to sue u an wonder how that could have happened to their kid

km04

Get crackin you muggs!!!!
    Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    Try this...

Walk up to each car and very nicely say:

You: "Hi. I was wondering... Do you know why we're not allowed to park here at certain times?"

Them: (Something to the effect of), "They don't want us to park here to pick up/drop of our kids".

You: "Actually, it's so a child won't run out from between the cars and get hit by another car going by. If these cars aren't parked here, drivers could see a child before they run into the street. Now I know you're only going to be here for a minute, but how long do you think it might take for a child to run out from in front of/in back of your car and maybe get hit? (Pause) And if that happened, how long do you think it might take you to get over it?"

Then simply walk away and give them something to think about for a minute.

If they still don't "get it" after that, put a tire iron through their windshield.

NICE!!! A man after my own heart right there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom