• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    I'm looking for a savage fcp-sr 308 with a 24 inch barrel. I found this online:http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/154881
    Is anyone of the IT'S here willing to match or come close to this price. I've never had a problem with bass pro matching Internet prices as long as it's not powder or primers. I really just don't feel like dealing with them. I don't mind a little drive to avoid that place. I'm in Glen Burnie and after selling my other rifle Friday I'll be ready to purchase.

It also says free shipping so I could always just have it shipped to a FFL and pay whatever the transfer tax is. But I'd rather support a local business if it doesn't cost me too much to do so.

Thanks everyone!
    Jeremy

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    HOG SNIPER on here is your man! Gary is an industry partner (high rock outfitters ) and is a master savage dealer.

I believe he sometimes does blow out sales in January or February.

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    Sweet! Thanks for the tip. Hopefully he sees this post. If not I'll send him a PM to see what he can do. If I have to wait till January or february I suppose I can.

Last edited:

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    HOG SNIPER on here is your man! Gary is an industry partner (high rock outfitters ) and is a master savage dealer.

I believe he sometimes does blow out sales in January or February.

Yep! He's in Hanover Pa, but his past pricing and service were well worth the drive. If he holds true to past practice, you'll see him post his annual Savage sale sometime in January. He's snagged me for Savage purchases the past 2 years. And glad of it.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I've purchased a few guns from him, great all around guy. Worth the drive for sure.

Send him the model # and see what he can do

ApexPredator

"Liberty or Death"
    Dec 29, 2016
    Nottingham
    Try Zink Arms in Perry Hall. Small place but the guy is knowledgeable and is passionate about firearms.

"Support your local firearms dealer, not big box"

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Clutch,

Got the 20" version of the rifle you're looking for from Hog Sniper. Great guy to deal with. He can likely track down a 24" version.

Q

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    I sent him a message. Hopefully he can do something for me. For you guys that have the model I'm looking for what do you guys think so far? I saw the 20 inch, but I figured the 24 inch would give me enough extra velocity to make it worth it. Are you happy with the 20? Do you guys shoot long range stuff?

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Clutch,

I recently shot mine, and it was adequate. I am still adjusting the trigger and trying to get a better cheek weld with a 50mm objective scope. I put in a cheek riser, and it helps. Looking to replace the stock.

Q

Billman

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
    May 18, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    Not sure of the barrel length, but Duffy's has a new Savage Arms threaded 308 on the shelf. Would be worth a call or visit to verify.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I sent him a message. Hopefully he can do something for me. For you guys that have the model I'm looking for what do you guys think so far? I saw the 20 inch, but I figured the 24 inch would give me enough extra velocity to make it worth it. Are you happy with the 20? Do you guys shoot long range stuff?

If your looking for longer ranges, I would personally go with the 24". I have a 20" 308 that my dad took to Ed Shells class, he managed to make it out to 1,100 yards with a 20 MOA base and a hold over in the scope.

Out to 600 yards it won't matter much honestly. I hunt with the 20" barrel and works fine.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life

Since my son is on a "limited" budget (working, but, not making a whole lot of $$$) he still doesn't have it ready for the range, just yet.

The picatinny rail that comes on the rifle is aluminum, and he wanted to swap it out for steel.

I found that Nightforce has a +20 MOA steel mount, and got that for him.

I also read on a Savage forum, about a "drop in" bottom metal assembly (can't get to that site from work) and I bought that, too.
    This bottom metal assembly takes "AICS" magazines.
    There are also needed replacement screws for the bottom metal, that are needed. (The factory screws are not correct for the new bottom metal, and the replacements that come with the bottom metal, are waaaaaaay too long.)

I've got that information at home, also. I'll check and post that for you, later this afternoon/tonight.

We're all set to put everything on, IF he ever gets a scope for the rifle.

I've read some really good reviews on this particular rifle.
    I can't say enough 'good stuff' about Hog Sniper and his attention to the customer.

NOTE:
    Cabela's sells the same rifle, BUT, theirs is an "exclusive" and does NOT have the Accustock. (No aluminum bedding/pillars.)
    I've read some not-so-good reviews on that model.
    And yes........... the Cabela's version has EXACTLY THE SAME model number as the one with Accustock!!!!

ETA#1:
    Bottom metal for 10 FCP-SR -

http://accurate-mag.com/bottom-metals/

ETA#2:

From my notes -
    Screws for bottom metal on Savage 10 FCP-SR.

For those who end up buying the Accurate Mag bottom metal, might as well throw the screws away because one is too long, the other too short.

I ordered some replacement screws from Bolt Depot. These are the ones I ordered:
    Product #8300 - front (1-1/8")
    Product #8303 - rear (1-7/8")
    Shipping is reasonable and very fast. You don't need to cut any screws anymore!

https://www.boltdepot.com/

https://www.boltdepot.com/Socket_cap_Alloy_steel_black_oxide_finish_1_4-28.aspx?Selected=8300

Last edited:

Billman

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
    May 18, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    I prefer the 20" as a good all around gun, perfectly capable of longer range work too. A 24" barrel with a can is one long rig.
    For true long range, beyond 600, I go with a "bigger stick (300 Win mag or 338 Lapua Mag) Mainly because my long range shooting is average.

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    Since my son is on a "limited" budget (working, but, not making a whole lot of $$$) he still doesn't have it ready for the range, just yet.

The picatinny rail that comes on the rifle is aluminum, and he wanted to swap it out for steel.

I found that Nightforce has a +20 MOA steel mount, and got that for him.

I also read on a Savage forum, about a "drop in" bottom metal assembly (can't get to that site from work) and I bought that, too.
    This bottom metal assembly takes "AICS" magazines.
    There are also needed replacement screws for the bottom metal, that are needed. (The factory screws are not correct for the new bottom metal, and the replacements that come with the bottom metal, are waaaaaaay too long.)

I've got that information at home, also. I'll check and post that for you, later this afternoon/tonight.

We're all set to put everything on, IF he ever gets a scope for the rifle.

I've read some really good reviews on this particular rifle.
    I can't say enough 'good stuff' about Hog Sniper and his attention to the customer.

NOTE:
    Cabela's sells the same rifle, BUT, theirs is an "exclusive" and does NOT have the Accustock. (No aluminum bedding/pillars.)
    I've read some not-so-good reviews on that model.
    And yes........... the Cabela's version has EXACTLY THE SAME model number as the one with Accustock!!!!

ETA#1:
    Bottom metal for 10 FCP-SR -

http://accurate-mag.com/bottom-metals/

ETA#2:

From my notes -
    Screws for bottom metal on Savage 10 FCP-SR.

For those who end up buying the Accurate Mag bottom metal, might as well throw the screws away because one is too long, the other too short.

I ordered some replacement screws from Bolt Depot. These are the ones I ordered:
    Product #8300 - front (1-1/8")
    Product #8303 - rear (1-7/8")
    Shipping is reasonable and very fast. You don't need to cut any screws anymore!

https://www.boltdepot.com/

https://www.boltdepot.com/Socket_cap_Alloy_steel_black_oxide_finish_1_4-28.aspx?Selected=8300

Awesome info! Thanks for all the details. You should do a thread documenting the build with pictures. I plan to do that with mine. Might be slow though as money permits. I've already heard back from HOG SNIPER so I can see why you guys recommend him. Thanks everyone for the advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom