• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Buckyrocks

Jan 17, 2009
    Harford county
    What's the process for buying a 10/22 receiver these days? If I want to do a build, do I have to buy the whole damn rifle in state or can I buy a receiver online without an HQL?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I spoke with Ruger about this on several occasions. Wanting one shipped to a local FFL for a special build.

They told me that buying a receiver straight up is out of the question.

GunBroker may have some.

Buckyrocks

Jan 17, 2009
    Harford county
    There's any number for sale privately. It's just that before 10/1, I'd have to do all the paperwork and go through the 7 day wait. If I bought the actual rifle, it was cash and carry. Has that changed?

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    I spoke with Ruger about this on several occasions. Wanting one shipped to a local FFL for a special build.

They told me that buying a receiver straight up is out of the question.

GunBroker may have some.

There's other producers of "10/22" receivers though.

Nodak comes to mind.

JCB003

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2007
    Nodakspud.com sells 10/22 recievers, but you're probably better off buying a used rifle. It will cost less and you could buy it face to face off another MD.

Buckyrocks

Jan 17, 2009
    Harford county
    What do the Nodak's run these days? I got one a few years ago for around $135. Used receivers show up for about $100-125 while rifles run $200-270. My original question still stands, can I have one transferred into Md. and have it be cash and carry?

Buckyrocks

Jan 17, 2009
    Harford county
    Because prior to 10/1, the receiver alone was treated as regulated. I bought an X ring, a Nodak, and a Ruger, and all three were papered as regulated. Different dealers also. It was explained to me that the receiver could be built into a regulated weapon, where the complete rifle was just that.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Because prior to 10/1, the receiver alone was treated as regulated. I bought an X ring, a Nodak, and a Ruger, and all three were papered as regulated. Different dealers also. It was explained to me that the receiver could be built into a regulated weapon, where the complete rifle was just that.

That is pure insanity, in my opinion. The law says that you have to do a 77R for a regulated firearm. Regulated firearm means handgun or firearm on the ALG list. A handgun is defined as a firearm with a barrel less than 16 inches in length. What length barrel does the receiver have?

Would you mind sharing the FFLs?

Buckyrocks

Jan 17, 2009
    Harford county
    Sure, Continental, Freestate, and Bel Air gun. I've built 9 different 10/22's and those were the 3 where I didn't buy the rifle and break it down. I was sick of having left over barrels and stocks and that was what I ran into. You tell me it's different now and I'll be buying one tomorrow. So far, I still don't have an answer. As I said, the explanation revolved around the potential for what the receiver could be built into. It didn't make sense to me either but I had to wait just the same.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    10/22 receiver is currently a 21 yo firearm on a 4473 as "other". Rimfire isn't banned thus wouldn't be classified as regulated.

JCB003

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2007
    Nodak Spud receivers run $165 + transfer. If you buy a complete rifle you could probably sell the barrel and stock.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    A rimfire reciever couldn't be made into a regulated long gun. However , a 10/22 reciever is the same as a Challenger reciever .

Take the reasoning a step farther down the other path. I would like to create a stand alone Mech Tech Carbine. Could I buy Caspian or CCF frame as an "Other" on a 4473 w/o a 77R or HQL ? Everything seems parallel to me . A frame that could be made into a pistol OR rifle , that I intended to make into a rifle.

Buckyrocks

Jan 17, 2009
    Harford county
    Nodak Spud receivers run $165 + transfer. If you buy a complete rifle you could probably sell the barrel and stock.

Easier said than done, even at break even prices. I think I only moved 1 or 2 and that was at Rimfirecentral. As to the merits of how the receivers were transferred, sure it didn't make sense but somehow the dealers just weren't convinced. Go figure.
    The Nodak receivers are pretty nice too. Figure $200-215 all told and I'm still saving $50-75 that can be used on smaller parts.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    A rimfire reciever couldn't be made into a regulated long gun. However , a 10/22 reciever is the same as a Challenger reciever .

Take the reasoning a step farther down the other path. I would like to create a stand alone Mech Tech Carbine. Could I buy Caspian or CCF frame as an "Other" on a 4473 w/o a 77R or HQL ? Everything seems parallel to me . A frame that could be made into a pistol OR rifle , that I intended to make into a rifle.

Some of the ALGs are rimfire, but I agree that none of them use a 10/22 receiver.

I have long believed that any receiver without a barrel cannot be a handgun under MD law, and should be cash and carry. There was apparently a Dealer Bulletin at some point that stated a receiver that COULD be built into either a handgun or long gun was not a regulated firearm, but I have yet to find it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom