• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The rules on the web page say call ahead and advise your intent. Then complete the registration within 48 hours. I'm betting the log your phone call into a book of some sort so if you are stopped there is proof you complied. I'd always get the officers name when calling.

I also read that if you don't register your firearm, DC will not process your application.

buffalobob

Dec 10, 2009
    DC
    I have purchased several pre68 firearms without serial numbers.

Well then, why don't you just go on down to the bank and get about $200 worth of quarters for the parking meters - 7 1/2 minutes per quarter- and then take one of your unserial numbered guns down to MPD and get it registered. Let us all know if you run out of quarters before getting it registered. :D

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    As a DC resident who has had to "schlep" everything from a 1911 to a shotgun and a Garand down to MPD HQ, ...

It is truly ridiculous that you need to take your gun to them to register it. Ok, it is ridiculous and insulting. Of coure the very idea that you need to tell them what you have in a way that looks like you are asking permission to have it is beyond fathomable.

buffalobob

Dec 10, 2009
    DC
    Just to follow up, I do not think it wise for people who have never registered a gun in DC to be giving advice about it. Further I believe Engage Armament is a member here and will remember ATF agents descending on their gunshop over the issue of someone trying to register an unserial numbered firearm in DC.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Just to follow up, I do not think it wise for people who have never registered a gun in DC to be giving advice about it. Further I believe Engage Armament is a member here and will remember ATF agents descending on their gunshop over the issue of someone trying to register an unserial numbered firearm in DC.

Engage is safe ;)

Back in the day before 1968, it was normal for firearms to not have serial numbers etched in them.

They are plenty of specimens floating around today, all completely legal and collectible.

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC

Definitely!

There are more cops per square inch in that area of DC than in most police stations during role call, and even more cameras. The cops in Room 3058 are very professional and it's very easy to register any gun as long as it's a legal gun. On the other hand, when calling them, if you tell them something that doesn't sound quite right they'll tell you to not come down there. Period.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    What I don't get, hasn't DC heard of a digital camera? Even that , why necessary if I can tell them the manufacturer, make and serial number? If I get stopped with a gun that isn't the same serial number, isn't that all they need?

They live in the 18th century, it seems. And they're quite content there.

Congress' Little Plantation on the Potomac. (tm)

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    If you have to take a handgun with you to register, which applies to all non-residents, call them first to let them know that you're coming and get the name of the officer that you talked to on the phone. This is to cover you in case you're stopped by the police on the way there. Make sure the gun is in a locked case with one magazine and a trigger lock installed with no ammo.

A Trigger Lock??? Will a bore lock suffice?

I don't own a single trigger lock...

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    A Trigger Lock??? Will a bore lock suffice?

I don't own a single trigger lock...

The last gun I received had a bore lock installed so you're fine. Just don't forget to bring the handle or key with you depending on the type.

SCDoGo

Dec 6, 2014
    Where is a serial number required on a pre-GCA68 firearm?

On the 4473 "N/A" goes into the serial number field, if you buy/transfer one from a FFL today.

It's been a while since I looked into it (also not a lawyer), but iirc any firearm before GCA68 did not require a SN. If a SN was given to it from the factory then it must remain intact else it is illegal. Many manufacturers have been assigning SNs since before '68, so they would still have a number to give.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    There is nothing in any DC statute requiring either a trigger ora bore lock that I can find. If you have a cite, please provide it.

The DC regs say unloaded in a locked container.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    It's been a while since I looked into it (also not a lawyer), but iirc any firearm before GCA68 did not require a SN. If a SN was given to it from the factory then it must remain intact else it is illegal. Many manufacturers have been assigning SNs since before '68, so they would still have a number to give.

Correct

Many manufacturers is not all of them.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    So I'll back up and say, "Call MPD".

What I said was based on speaking with two people who have applied and in both cases MPD told them to leave the gun home until they were conditionally approved. Perhaps that was because MPD just didn't want to bother registering an out-of-state firearm from someone who would never get a permit?

Just to follow up, I do not think it wise for people who have never registered a gun in DC to be giving advice about it.

Wise words. Just be sure people call MPD before heading into DC with their gats.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Agreed. I wouldn't want to allow DC to have my firearm registration info without an approved permit. But most conditional permits are issued and give the applicant 45 days to complete the training requirement. That makes sense.

Some of us will be applying with all then requirements completed.

But of course waiting to see how the Wrenn case plays out.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    The lock question is fairly clear, but there are other very unclear questions on the application itself. Like why is it important who my employer is or my "occupation"? (This applies to the pd-219 as well.) Also, I can waive out of the "firearms training" reqs, but not the law trng. But the follow-on questions (4-7 or so), don't seem to allow for that combination of answers without frying your brain with circular logic. And then there's the whole second half of the application that I'm thinking I'll just leave blank because I'm neither in fear for my life, nor an I a busyness owner, or protecting vulnerable populations. But of course the whole point is that I shouldn't have to be any of those things to exercise a civil right. Needless to say, i will be taking good notes in Cyphers course in a few weeks.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The application was formulated after DC was forced to issue permits but with the Good Reason requirement included, which was part of the DC law which Scullin has now enjoined DC from enforcing.. I'd look for that to be removed if SAF prevails in court. If your app wasn't in process when Scullin issued the injunction, IMO I'd wait for a final ruling.

IANAL.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    I also believe that the DC and Maryland applications were formulated to be as obfuscating as possible. It's the same as needlessly carrying a firearm in to be registered (when, as even Obama-appointed Judge Millet pointed out, who would ever intentionally register the serial number of a firearm they don't own?), everything is intended as a hurdle & discouragement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom