• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    As long as the SC refuses to smack them down... Yes.

This is turning into what happened after the US v. Miller case, which in and of itself was a very limited judgement. However right after the circuits ran with the "collective right" theory for decades, a theory not present in Miller. It got to the point where it was almost accepted by all until scholarly research gave momentum to the individual rights interpretation culminating in Heller.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I hope he does not feel like he was to do that because the NRA might in their D.C. carry case. It seems a little risky to appeal a preliminary injunction because those appeals are reviewed on an abuse on discretion standard rather than on de novo review if it was review of an appeal on the merits. Recently the NRA was admonished by the Ninth in Fyock for filing a PI appeal for the obvious purpose of getting early appellate review. However if I were him I'd be worried that the NRA gets lucky and and steals his glory by taking their preliminary injunction up on appeal first.

I agree with your point that an appeal from a denial of a PI is tough, but it certainly within the ball park, especially if your theory of the case is a purely legal. As to Gura, I don't think he cares a whit that the NRA has filed a similar case. This is not about glory. I think he would be delighted if the NRA won that case -- it would make his case that much easier.

As to asking for a stay of proceedings in district court while that appeal is pending, that just makes sense. The appeal is a matter of right and it could clarify the legal standard and thus make things clearer and simplier for the trial court proceedings.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!

Attachments

• Wrenn Doc 59 Denial.pdf
      78.7 KB · Views: 236

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Pi day the Pink Pistols did a little foot stomping. Other than that (Intro Quoted below) nothing going on.

"The District’s response to Plaintiffs’ motion to consolidate underscores why the Court
    should enter a permanent injunction without further proceedings. The District does not even argue that discovery and further briefing are necessary with respect to the historical scope of the Second Amendment right.
    The District claims instead that discovery is necessary so that it may
    further explore the social science literature on the link between firearms and public safety. But as Plaintiffs have already demonstrated at length, the Supreme Court’s decisions in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008), and McDonald v. City of Chicago, 561 U.S. 742 (2010), make clear that the constitutionality of the District’s ban does not turn on the opinion of social scientists. Rather, the constitutionality of the ban turns on the text and history of the Second Amendment, which leave no doubt that the right to bear arms encompasses the right of a typical law-abiding citizen to carry a handgun outside the home for the purpose of self-defense.
    Even if social science literature were relevant to this case, the District has failed to
    establish that further proceedings are warranted. The District’s proposed areas of discovery are irrelevant to the legal question before this Court, and they seek to draw a distinction between the scope of the Second Amendment in urban and rural areas that is forbidden by binding Supreme
    Court precedent. Most importantly, the District provides no analysis whatsoever, beyond
    seventy-seven conclusory words in a Declaration from its counsel, about why the new evidence it wishes to present is new and not simply redundant of the hundreds of pages of briefing and appendices the District and its amici have already presented in this and related cases.
    Further proceedings will do nothing but further prolong the District’s nullification of its
    citizens’ Second Amendment rights. Plaintiffs respectfully request that the Court enter a
    permanent injunction now.
    "

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    The Stay of proceedings was denied 04/15/2016

Interesting order. And quite unusual for a court to go to this length to explain its ruling on the stay question. The judge is well within her discretion on this one. It just points out that discovery and expense is part and partial of any litigation. We can expect the same in any HQL litigation.

lonzo

Dec 8, 2015
    Moco
    i like the part where the Judge tells the plaintiffs that they are off base when talking about experts and discovery...

I think judges are off base when they keep getting paid for cases that should be ruled in less than a day.. " This violates the Constitution, the law is thrown out"...what more is there?... a system that makes sure things are drawn out...just like doctors...and both groups wonder why they are hated...

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    i like the part where the Judge tells the plaintiffs that they are off base when talking about experts and discovery...

I think judges are off base when they keep getting paid for cases that should be ruled in less than a day.. " This violates the Constitution, the law is thrown out"...what more is there?... a system that makes sure things are drawn out...just like doctors...and both groups wonder why they are hated...

Martin Luther King, Jr. "Justice too long delayed is justice denied."

The slow-moving judges need a good swift kick in the rear end :mad54:

wjackcooper

Feb 9, 2011
    Thank you for posting, looks to me like another great job by a lawyer who is at the very top of the game. Hats off to Mr. Alan Gura!

Regards
    Jack

kcbrown

Super Genius
    Jun 16, 2012
    From the emergency motion:

Notwithstanding the District Court’s surprising departure from the ordinary practice, the proceedings below should be stayed.

Surprising departure?

The district court means to tear the Constitution asunder. What, then, is so surprising about its departure from the norm?

But I suppose Gura has to at least appear to be surprised here. It would not do for him to appear to believe that the very institution he is operating within is corrupt to the core.

ddestruel

Jun 23, 2015
    in other words the ruling was written before the briefs were even submitted. its just a matter of having the right amount of time for the right experts to lay out enough BS to unravel and contort things in the direction it should have gone in the first place..... following the 2nd CA’s route

wjackcooper

Feb 9, 2011
    From the emergency motion:

Surprising departure?

The district court means to tear the Constitution asunder. What, then, is so surprising about its departure from the norm?

But I suppose Gura has to at least appear to be surprised here. It would not do for him to appear to believe that the very institution he is operating within is corrupt to the core.

Astute commentary and a good catch, or so it seems to me.

“Surprising departure,” in the context of this motion, is legalize for totally unwarranted . . . nothing to be gained here by Gura's being held in open contempt of court.

Regards
    Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom