• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    I need to look into the training requirement. On the one hand, the instructions talk about NRA training, a DD214, a hunting license and such.

On the other hand, it talks about the exemption being granted by the Chief on a case by case basis if the training bona fides are equal to, or greater than the DC training.

Embarassingly, my only formal training is the NRA First Steps class for the FLA permit. Don't know if DC would accept that.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I need to look into the training requirement. On the one hand, the instructions talk about NRA training, a DD214, a hunting license and such.

On the other hand, it talks about the exemption being granted by the Chief on a case by case basis if the training bona fides are equal to, or greater than the DC training.

Embarassingly, my only formal training is the NRA First Steps class for the FLA permit. Don't know if DC would accept that.

I checked my DD214, and I was stunned that my M16 expert qualification was on there. The DC law doesn't say handgun qualification.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Lovely!

Q: What about the people who have applied for concealed-carry permits who met all the
    other criteria, but were rejected because they did not demonstrate a “good reason” under
    the old law? What happens to them now?

A: Prior applicants who were denied a permit for failure to comply with the “good reason”
    requirement should submit an updated application reflecting any changes to eligibility criteria.
    There is no new fee to resubmit. Those who have applications already pending but have not
    received a determination do not need to resubmit.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    DC 16 Hour Concealed Carry License Application Training Course

If you need 16 hours of training, for a DC CCL, get it here:

DC 16 Hour Concealed Carry License Application Training Course
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=4952498&postcount=1

If you only need 2 hours of DC Law, an option for that is available as well
    It will probably be Attorney George Lyon or a preeminent expert from Arsenal Attorneys.

Last edited:

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Does a DC carry permit allow you to have spent shell casings in your car?
    As long as live rounds unsecured plus spent casing unsecured don't exceed 20 !
    There is a 20 round limit, if you have a 10+1 gun your spare mag has to have nine

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    If the NRA course doesn’t include range time I doubt it will be accepted
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think some will allow to be piggybacked. Several list the qualifications separately with separate costs/ In my course there were guys there for just the legal part. I considered taking NRA PPIH and PPOH, and then just taking legal, but had a scheduling conflict with NRA and ended up with a MPD DC certified trainer instead. Two days in a row, with range at end of second day.

since classes are liable to be in more demand these guys may not do customizing right now. I do think if you are expired traning it is worth it to ask MPD and then the trainers about the two year re-application training, but to ask more right now might be hard

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013

Isn't first steps below basic pistol?

Look I don't believe in mandatory training, and I do not know anything about you, so this is not about you but just general: if all you have had is first steps or basic, this is different. It is an urban environment; with knowledge of self defense law, de-escalation and avoidance much more important; all kinds of areas that are prohibited where a mistake could bar you from all firearms including at home for life, issues with printing that are not the same as Harissburg or Leesburg. I serious advise you to take a full 16 hour course.

I have pals who can consistently group under 2" at 10 yards, can shoot weak or stong, and can take down and reassemble semi auto in the dark -- but they are utterly unprepared for any carry in a jurisdiction like DC as they don't know much about the law, never mind DC law, de-escalation, interactions with police, etc.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Hogan will not change MD's G&S until MAYBE after the election. Like any other politician, he wants to get reelected and diving into the gun culture war is a losing proposition in MD right now. I say maybe because I think Hogan is afraid of Frosh. With Frosh given permission by the General Assembly to sue just about anyone the D's think is a threat to their power (and just to be asses.) So if Hogan did change G&S Frosh would tear into him and I just don't think Hogan wants that fight.

We are all just pawns.

Yep. He knows he doesn't have to throw us any bone to make us vote for him...and considering the alternative, he's right.

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    I checked my DD214, and I was stunned that my M16 expert qualification was on there. The DC law doesn't say handgun qualification.

Mine says nothing about rifle qual and I qualed both handguns and rifles
    Expert with rifles but pizza box for handguns

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    My DD214 says nothing about rifle or pistol quals but you don’t get out of basic without at least rifle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Hope this offer is still in effect.

Attachments

• cypherpunk.jpg
      cypherpunk.jpg
      41.2 KB · Views: 273
    Last edited by a moderator:

win296

Jun 15, 2012
    Baltimore
    It seemed to me this was the best timing for the gun banners to go SCOTUS.

What is their game? Do they know something we don’t? Is my tin foil hat too tight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom