• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/759644285

Would this M14S be legal? I know the gas plug is the difference that allows the M14S to be brought into the state, but would all the mods affect its legality, provided the gas plug was not modified? I know the seller states that won't sell to MD (I emailed them to say the we can bring in the M14S and would give them the MSP link if they would like it, but not holding my breath since they are in Fairfax). I have seen a few M14S models for sale with mods and wanted to verify that if the gas plug was not modified, it was good to go in MD with a 10 rnd mag. Yes the price is high (thanks, Maryland), but it's the only semiauto M14/M1A style rifle available to us.

Q

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Overpriced but not banned. Only thing I have heard of is if you put a GI bolt in it its now GI spec but not sure on that.

Don't see why someone would send a Polytech receiver to be heat treated, they actually were very high quality metal. Bolts were always suspect.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    Overpriced but not banned. Only thing I have heard of is if you put a GI bolt in it its now GI spec but not sure on that.

Don't see why someone would send a Polytech receiver to be heat treated, they actually were very high quality metal. Bolts were always suspect.

Probably a return that never was sold again? I wouldn't want it , re-heat treating sounds like an error-prone process. Especially for $1400!

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    As stated, legal but overpriced. I sold my Polytech just a few months ago for $800 shipped. Granted, it sold in less than an hour so I probably could have gotten a few bucks more but the price on GB is crazy high.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    As stated, legal but overpriced. I sold my Polytech just a few months ago for $800 shipped. Granted, it sold in less than an hour so I probably could have gotten a few bucks more but the price on GB is crazy high.

That picture made me drool all over myself. :drool:

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Yeah, it's hit or miss on price. I've seen them for ~$875, up to the price listed. I have time to look around, but just curious about when it ceases to be an M14S and becomes a banned weapon. I would think that due to the receiver being marked M14S, as long as barrel length is legal, it "should" be good to go, but this is Maryland.

This poses the question about the M65 in 6.5 Creedmoor from Fulton Armory. If that is legal, but you change out the barrel to .308, is it now a copy of the M1A that is banned, or is it still a M65 receiver with a .308 caliber change?:innocent0

It would be interesting to see a legal opinion on it.....

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    Yeah, it's hit or miss on price. I've seen them for ~$875, up to the price listed. I have time to look around, but just curious about when it ceases to be an M14S and becomes a banned weapon. I would think that due to the receiver being marked M14S, as long as barrel length is legal, it "should" be good to go, but this is Maryland.

This poses the question about the M65 in 6.5 Creedmoor from Fulton Armory. If that is legal, but you change out the barrel to .308, is it now a copy of the M1A that is banned, or is it still a M65 receiver with a .308 caliber change?:innocent0

Another extremely knowledgeable MDSer told me MSP set the precedent that it's not a copy because the thread pitch is different. Or something to that effec

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

If you put a pencil barrel on an AR you go from angelic to felonious child killer. Or a 308 barrel on a 6.5 Creedmoor.

So, dont do that.

There is no real logic to MD gun laws. Only guns banned now and guns reserved for future banning.

And, as for "legal" lets not ask MDSP questions. They dont inspect rifles or anything. They google and stick their fingers in the air. There are rifles on the website that should not be there, or are there with the wrong reason. MDSP called it guidance and disavowed it. They corrected some. Not others.

If MDSP says not banned and the price is right, dont squint at the thread pitch or caliper the barrel. There is no why. Only banned and banned not (yet).

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Another extremely knowledgeable MDSer told me MSP set the precedent that it's not a copy because the thread pitch is different. Or something to that effec

The threads on the gas plug are metric so not interchangeable with the US rifle. That was enough in this case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom