• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I have found a recipe using Bullseye powder and the 200 gr Hornady XTP bullets I picked up.

Probably going to take the loads to the range next weekend.

I did find out that 45 ACP brass uses both large and small primers. Luckily, I had a buncha leftover small pistol primers that I had when I was loading .357.

Should have 50 rounds made up in a little while.

Woo-hoo!

km04

Get crackin you muggs!!!!
    Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    I have found a recipe using Bullseye powder and the 200 gr Hornady XTP bullets I picked up.

Probably going to take the loads to the range next weekend.

I did find out that 45 ACP brass uses both large and small primers. Luckily, I had a buncha leftover small pistol primers that I had when I was loading .357.

Should have 50 rounds made up in a little while.

Woo-hoo!

Yeah Joe, that is a real PITA to find out when you are new to reloading. Imagine some newbie trying to force a large primer in a pice of .45 brass that is small primered???? I wonder how long that noob would keep trying to make it work???:innocent0:innocent0:innocent0:innocent0

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC

The Lee manual has 5.4 gr (or .50 Lee Dipper) with the 200 gr XTP

Yeah Joe, that is a real PITA to find out when you are new to reloading. Imagine some newbie trying to force a large primer in a pice of .45 brass that is small primered???? I wonder how long that noob would keep trying to make it work???:innocent0:innocent0:innocent0:innocent0

BOOM!!!

I thought I had a dirty flash hole (:innocent0) at first.....then I realized the sizes were different.

km04

Get crackin you muggs!!!!
    Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    The Lee manual has 5.4 gr (or .50 Lee Dipper) with the 200 gr XTP

BOOM!!!

I thought I had a dirty flash hole (:innocent0) at first.....then I realized the sizes were different.

Umm...yeah...that's what I thought, I mean the noob thought too.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Joe, graduating to .45acp? :thumbsup: Not a difficult round to load, but takes some practice to consistently make good reliable rounds.

We need to get you going in a terrific new direction:
    - Bullseye works. Win231 works better and shoots cleaner.
    - Best bullet I've found for .45acp is the original and standby: 230 gr. RN.
    - Next step is get you casting your own 230's.
    That combo of components has feed thousands of consistently accurate rounds to 1911's, Tommy's and lord knows what else at MANY past Hooligan range trips.

It's one of those "try it, you'll like it" deals. :innocent0

Let us know how your loads work out. And keep on learnin' !

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Joe, graduating to .45acp? :thumbsup: Not a difficult round to load, but takes some practice to consistently make good reliable rounds.

We need to get you going in a terrific new direction:
    - Bullseye works. Win231 works better and shoots cleaner.
    - Best bullet I've found for .45acp is the original and standby: 230 gr. RN.
    - Next step is get you casting your own 230's.
    That combo of components has feed thousands of consistently accurate rounds to 1911's, Tommy's and lord knows what else at MANY past Hooligan range trips.

It's one of those "try it, you'll like it" deals. :innocent0

Let us know how your loads work out. And keep on learnin' !

I'm only using the Bullseye because I have left over Bullseye and Unique. Figured I'd use it up.

Bullet wise, it was all I could find. Had gone to a gun show and couldn't find anything at all....found these at a LGS.

shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    Joe b&r has some left as of lunch time today. Ill be working my first 45 acp load tomorrow. There was a box of 100 230 grain hornady fmj rn and some of the same by Winchester when i left.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Joe b&r has some left as of lunch time today. Ill be working my first 45 acp load tomorrow. There was a box of 100 230 grain hornady fmj rn and some of the same by Winchester when i left.

Thanks for the heads-up. I found my stuff at Guns Unlimited in Ayden. Well worth the drive, just for the service.

dan8480

Gun Addict
    Feb 23, 2008
    Adams County
    What kind of lead bullets do you guys suggest? I don't cast my own, but I would like to get some 230gr, I've never reloaded lead bullets for 45

CapoGreg

Extra mediocre
    Aug 10, 2009
    Aberdeen
    Good luck. I started loading .40's with great success, but had some difficulty when switching to .45's. It took me a while to solve, but I kept bulging cases right below the base of the projectile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom