• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    A long while back, I won an auction for a Remington Model 8 that had definitely seen better days. You can see pictures of it from back then here: https://www.mdshooters.com/threads/model-8-help.256832/post-6311235

I got a new set of furniture for it as well and took my sweet time in finally getting to work on fitting it to the rifle.

I finished the forend and found a suitable replacement forend screw and crafted my own escutcheon out of a bronze bushing with roughly the same ID and OD as the original escutcheon. The butt stock is just about ready for final shaping (sanding to fit the butt plate and drill the tang hole) but work got busy and I had to hold off on that part for a bit. So while I had the time, I also worked on repairing the original furniture. I epoxied the big crack in the forend after sweating as much oil out of it and the crack in the buttstock as I could before lightly sanding, mixing the sanding dust into the epoxy, and getting the forend fixed. The crack in the butt isn't something I could force epoxy into, so I did the next best thing I could think of, I took a brass screw and drove it straight down through the crack to hold everything together. I then ground off the screw head protrusion and sanded everything evenly before refinishing with Tru-Oil. I feel that it turned out well and reminds me of some of the repairs I've seen on frontier rifles. I also replaced the old, hardened recoil pad with a grind-to-fit. This was my first time grinding one on my own and it turned out okay overall.

I also got my hands on a Marbles R6 and Marbles flip-down rear sight. This particular rifle already had the Marbles front sight installed.

I'll finish up the new buttstock as things slow down at work and will post the final finish then, but here she is with the finished new forend on the table with the rifle in the repaired OG furniture above. I also have the correct charging handle and parts, but it's rusted up pretty tight. I'll have to get it unstuck to replace the field-repaired one that is on there. I think it's turning out rather well.

20230224_135928.jpg

20230224_140047.jpg

20230224_140040.jpg

20230224_140037.jpg

20230224_135936.jpg

20230224_135921.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member