• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tony b

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2012
    Joppa
    Bullseye is one of my goto pistol powders but h335 or varget for .223/5.56. Ra66it where are you located

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I can use Bullseye in just about everything handgun I reload, except for .44 mag, and even then I "could" use it, although it wouldn't be ideal, and especially not when I've got both Unique and Herco on my bench. I really like Bullseye for both .45 ACP and .38 spc though. Really nice, mild target loads.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I can use Bullseye in just about everything handgun I reload, except for .44 mag, and even then I "could" use it, although it wouldn't be ideal, and especially not when I've got both Unique and Herco on my bench. I really like Bullseye for both .45 ACP and .38 spc though. Really nice, mild target loads.

Indeed it is! 2.8gr. of bullseye under a 148 grain HBWC has been a standard .38SPL target load since just about forever I'd guess. It's a good one too! LOTS of these have been fired at paper!

tony b

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2012
    Joppa
    Thank you, looks like you found powder. Enjoy the reloading I found it to be a great hobby

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    I was thinking of starting with varget, h-335, or IMR4198... At this point with it being scarce at a lot of places I'll use what I can't get. I called a place close by the other day that had 335 but I never made it over there.
    I'm only looking local because I refuse to pay the hazmat shipping fee.

H335, BL-C2 or W-748 for those bullets will work just fine and be less finicky throwing than Varget or 4895.

Ra66it

Shenanigans!
    Dec 28, 2013
    The Dena
    H335, BL-C2 or W-748 for those bullets will work just fine and be less finicky throwing than Varget or 4895.

I found a pound of H335 at a local shop. So far it's been easy to work with. I'll see how it shoots soon. Cant wait to hit the range!

Ra66it

Shenanigans!
    Dec 28, 2013
    The Dena
    How does it compare to IMR 4198? The local shop had that also. It was slightly more expensive (a couple bucks) but I noticed the load data indicates a lighter load using 4198

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    How does it compare to IMR 4198? The local shop had that also. It was slightly more expensive (a couple bucks) but I noticed the load data indicates a lighter load using 4198

You're right.....lower charge weights of 4198 vs. 335. Probably 15% more loads per pound. Maybe a bit more. Now, if you find that your rifle groups really well with one powder over the other, you stick with it regardless. But sometimes, your less expensive option can also be the option your rifle may like best. So.....maybe you buy both powders, and find out. That's half the fun!

Good that we're starting to get some options back regarding powder choices.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I prefer H335 as it is a ball powder and it measures accurately in my Dillon powder measure.

4198 is an extruded powder, and they do not measure as well in a typical powder measure.

Also, H335 is basically the same powder used in US military ammunition.

IMR 4198 is a good powder also. But looking at the burn rate charts, it might be a bit fast. 4895 or 4064 would be more in the range of typical .223 powders. Even 3031.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom