• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ra66it

Shenanigans!
    Dec 28, 2013
    The Dena
    Sorry! 1100 little friends dieing to go fast!

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      90.9 KB · Views: 309

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Nope. Don't have a 45 (YET!)
    Thanks though
    It was kind of a joke - my wife tried to get me a set of .40 S&W dies as a gift, but accidentally ordered a set of .45 dies that I already have. I did get the .40 dies, but I have a full set of .45 dies that I figured I'd just resell here on the forum rather than to deal with sending them back - they didn't come from Midway or Cabela's, so the process was more of a PIA than I wanted to deal with.

I'm stoked for you that you are getting into reloading. It's another one of those hobbies where you may not save a bunch (you will save some though) and it might be just as easy to buy ammo, but the pride of knowing that you are the one who carefully crafted those rounds, and you know exactly what it in it, makes it a very rewarding hobby.

Ra66it

Shenanigans!
    Dec 28, 2013
    The Dena
    Trickg, I have been wanting to get into reloading for years. I've never really shot enough (privately)to justify it. When I qualify at work they give me rounds so I haven't bought handgun ammo for about 14 years.
    With all the gun restrictions I bought my first AR and now having that and a son that loves to burn through ammo I figured it a wise investment. While on night shift and the kids are in school I can sit down in my hole and crank out some rounds.
    I kind of have OCD about things being perfect when I make them so I'll be able to satisfy that urge while making ammo.
    It's like three or four birds with one boolit! Haha

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I don't know if I "got into reloading" or if it was just something that I kind of continued on with in my own shooting endeavors. My Dad was a huge firearms enthusiast. I've always liked guns, but my main thing is music - his was definitely all about guns and shooting, so he was an avid gun "accumulator" (can't really call it collecting - he liked to shoot everything he bought, so it was about accumulating toys) and was also an avid handloader. Growing up I was exposed to a lot of that. By the time I graduated high school I had loaded shot shells, cast, sized and lubed boolits, and loaded both handgun and rifle ammo - all set up and monitored by Dad though.

He passed away in 1997, and eventually some of those guns came to me. I just figured I'd do it like he did - he reloaded, so therefore so would I. Having said that, I think I enjoy it for the same reasons he did - it's nice to be able to tailor your options for what goes into a particular load. I don't cast bullets though - these days it's just too hard to find a cheap, easy source of lead - but I do reload for handgun, and I suppose I'll eventually load for rifle as well once I get my AR lower I picked up prior to Oct 1st built out into a full, working Evil Black Rifle.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Great karma, thanks. I'm in. :D
    I'm not giving them away! LOL! I am, however, offering them up for sale as what I feel is a pretty solid deal - $35, shipping is on me, or we can meet and do a handoff somewhere as long as it's decently close to me here in central MD.

Ra66it

Shenanigans!
    Dec 28, 2013
    The Dena
    :lol::lol: I like that! :lol2::lol2:

What kind of powder are you looking for??????? H-335???? Varget???? W-748???? H-4895???? Other??????

I was thinking of starting with varget, h-335, or IMR4198... At this point with it being scarce at a lot of places I'll use what I can't get. I called a place close by the other day that had 335 but I never made it over there.
    I'm only looking local because I refuse to pay the hazmat shipping fee.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I tend to pick up powder mostly at the Chantilly gun show these days - that way it's not logged in a MD log book, and there tends to be a fairly decent selection. I guess overall I've done all three:

1.) Ordered powder from Midway and paid the Hazmat fee. Convenient, but costly, although it was somewhat mitigated by the fact that I got a 4 lb jug of Bullseye that still has some left.

2.) Bought powder when I could find it in MD - I picked up some W231 and some Herco at Bay Country Guns when it was still open, and I picked up some Unique at Bart's sports world.

3.) I've picked up my first pound of Unique in Chantilly, and recently picked up some Longshot

For the record, I'm still under 5 lbs of powder, total. :)

Ra66it

Shenanigans!
    Dec 28, 2013
    The Dena
    For the record, I'm still under 5 lbs of powder, total. :)

I've read on here that you can store as much powder as you want "in little brass" containers:innocent0

I also have a coworker and some friends that lives in PA so I could always visit them and pick some up while there...

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    That's what I'd do, although the truth is, finding the powder you want is going to be a challenge no matter where you go unless you order it, and even then it can be a challenge.

The big jug of Bullseye was my 2nd choice - initially I ordered a jug of Hodgdon HP38, but Midway called me to say that their shipment didn't come through, and wanted to know if I wanted to cancel the order. Bullseye was 2nd on my list, so I changed the order over the phone, and for a general purpose pistol powder, I've been pretty happy with it.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I've read on here that you can store as much powder as you want "in little brass" containers:innocent0

I also have a coworker and some friends that lives in PA so I could always visit them and pick some up while there...

You keep that Pa. thought of yours in mind. Part of what you're encountering with availability is inherent to the industry generally. That industry part is getting better though. The other part has much to do with Maryland being Maryland. This latter part? Um.....not so much.:sad20:

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I'm not giving them away! LOL! I am, however, offering them up for sale as what I feel is a pretty solid deal - $35, shipping is on me, or we can meet and do a handoff somewhere as long as it's decently close to me here in central MD.

That's a darn good price. Unfortunately I bought a set a couple of months ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom