• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    Tough to say, I have an Englander stove that pretty much all pellets work in.

Just that some seem to work better than others. As an example, many folks like the Lignetics that you can get most anywhere. I find in my stove those do not burn as clean as other brands as indicated by the amount residue (soot & ash) left after each bag.

Try a few bags of different brands then decide what worked best.

Hopefully there won't be a shortage again this year. Toward the end of last winter folks were being limited to how many bags they could buy and were using whatever they could get.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Agree with LONERANGER, I've had same problem with lignetics, but in a pinch they do work.
    I have always found "Hamers" and "Country Boys" to burn clean. At this time of year you may have to buy whatever you can find.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    lol. The particular's of owning a pellet stove. Ash and soot would never concern me.

I'll open the wood stove after a full day of burning and give you a scoop of ash.

BellyAcher151

channel 28 Breaker!!
    Oct 14, 2011
    Salisbury
    Do any of you know if a pellet stove can be vented down through floor and out block?
    Previous owner built brick hearth on inside wall that backs up to bedroom.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Do any of you know if a pellet stove can be vented down through floor and out block?

I'm gonna say NO on that. All piping needs to be horizontal or vertical (upward)

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    PJDiesel is right about venting-any other venting path could create carbon-monoxide build up in your house. As far as pellets buy the darkest ones you can find, they are hardwood vs lighter ones that are pine or other softwoods. Hardwoods burn longer and hotter. I know it's a haul but Duvall's Tractor in Rising Sun had a few pallets left of nice hardwood pellets. Chris

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    wife bought a ton at TSC in August didnt tell me it was dung :) it's O Malley brand . Told her it smells like sh!t I am throwing them all out

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    TSC used to have a darker harder pellet but lately they are lighter in color and not packed as hard. The ones I got last year soaked the moisture in the air and got softer and crumbled jammed one of my stoves. I now mix those pellets with some hardwood ones I picked up no jams now. Chris

bigdaddycoolfm

Mar 24, 2014
    venting

It also has to be atleast 6ft away from any opening such as a window that can be opened. it will cause a draft and pull carbonmonoxide and smoke back into the house..

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    PJDiesel is right about venting-any other venting path could create carbon-monoxide build up in your house. As far as pellets buy the darkest ones you can find, they are hardwood vs lighter ones that are pine or other softwoods. Hardwoods burn longer and hotter. I know it's a haul but Duvall's Tractor in Rising Sun had a few pallets left of nice hardwood pellets. Chris

Before you opt for hardwood pellets, check your owners manual. Mine cautions against using hardwood pellets, but does not say why.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    My experience. Lignetics are awful. Full of dust. OMalleys are just like the governor, one big sack of sh.... hamers are pretty good. Ive had the best luck with Turmans.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    Before you opt for hardwood pellets, check your owners manual. Mine cautions against using hardwood pellets, but does not say why.

I bought mine used without booklets. All three Englanders 1990/92/2009 vintage . All three seem burn hotter with the darker pellets also less ash and jams then with the lighter colored ones. Since I have a 1/2 ton of the softer ones left I will be mixing this year to use them up. I was told that some of the newer stoves can be picky with what they eat. My barber got a stove from Courtland Hardware and they told him just to run only one brand in it. Chris

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    Oxford Feed & Lumber has some nice hardwood pellets $279 a ton. TSC in Oxford is sold out as is Duvall's. Just a public service update. Chris

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    American Home and hardware got a truck yesterday (don't burn good in our stove) .TSC Elkton and American Home and Hardware are expecting a truck Thursday or Friday

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom