• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    My absolute favorite "wonder nine"; The Steyr GB. 18 round mag (huge at the time).
    • A "unique gas-delayed blowback locking system based on the Barnitzke system"
    • Nice rugged finish
    • Polygonal barrel
    • Excellent sights
    • Very ergonomic
    • No safety; just a decocker
    Should have beat out the Beretta M9 (the Army did look at it in 1983). Here's a pic of mine. Glad i got 4 extra mags; if you can find them they are as mush as $250 a each now!

Although it's a matter of taste, the Steyr GB has always seemed to me to be large and a bit klunky. It may be accurate and reliable, but they remind me of the squirt guns I had in the early 60s. I don't recall them being in the top tier guns tested by the military. I'd really like to hear one of your range reports on the Steyr and why you think it should have beat out the Beretta. (I had an Italian Beretta at the time of the trials and it, to me, was the embodiment of the Wondernine concept). That was before the flying fickle slide fly-offs! How did the Steyr do in the military trials?

The Sig P226 has it's following and the High Power is legendary, though a bit long in the tooth to be a Wondernine. To me, the Wondernine is characterized by a perfect reliability record under combat situations. Any auto can malfuntion if dirty, but when shot under varying conditions the Wondernine can keep cranking out the ammo without a hiccup. Under no circumstance can a Colt 1911 keep up without faltering. (There were so many malfunctions of the 1911 in WWII and Korea that many officers had little faith in them. Even clean and lubricated they could jam. I had a friend who fired once at an enemy Moro and the gun jammed after the first shot. He lost all faith in the gun and the caliber; the gun because it jammed, the caliber because the first shot, to the chest, had little effect on the little guy he shot. The gun did stop the man, but it was the muzzle to the head that did it.)

The Beretta had no ejection port, so there was nothing for the shell to catch on. The S&W autos and the Sigs both were considered Wondernines and of course the Glocks, Springfields, S&W M&P and so forth. I like polygonal barrels, and the nines have done very well overall. Even the Taurus PT92s have been exceptional.

You're the first to mention the Steyr, though. It sure reminds me of some of my old squirt guns, though. How heavy is it? And what is the trigger like? DA first, then SA?
    Squirtgun-1-1024x768.jpg

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Anybody get a chance to shoot a Grand Power K100, K100 Mk II or X-Calibur?

These Wonder Nines from Slovakia are supposed to be the finest shooting 9s in the world.

I handled one when STI was the importer but not had the chance since Eagle Imports took over the importation.

IMG_1087.JPG

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    You're the first to mention the Steyr, though. It sure reminds me of some of my old squirt guns, though. How heavy is it? And what is the trigger like? DA first, then SA?

I think you missed the previous post where I mentioned that I also owned a Steyr GB in the mid-80's?

The Steyr GB was probably my least favorite of the Wonder Nines. It was a huge pistol with an 18+1 magazine capacity and weighed about 3lbs fully loaded. DA trigger-pull was in the 11-12lbs range; SA about 6lbs. It was by no means designed to be a precision-shooting target gun.

The Steyr GB featured a unique gas-delayed blowback locking system based on the Barnitzke system developed by the Germans during late WW II. The Barnitzke system uses gas pressure from the ignited cartridge and feeds it through a small port in the barrel in front of the chamber to retard the rearward motion of the slide.

Mine had a habit of gassing me right in the face when I fired it. Accuracy was so-so for a service pistol but I just never warmed-up to it the same way I did my Walther P88, Sig P226, and CZ-75. I put about 300 rounds thru it before selling it to get something else.

Last edited:

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I'm a fan of the Browning, but it's rather like a 1911...a fixer-upper. Get it tuned by Cylinder & Slide or Novak's (or Nighthawk), and they're marvelous. WRT the P7, I love the idea of the squeeze-cocker, but found it an express road to carpal tunnel issues in practice.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    I used to own a S&W 659, I never had any failure to feed or fire problems.but it was so heavy, that it felt like a brick. I sold it to buy my 1st Browning HP. I have a HP in 9mm and one in 40 S&W, they fit my hand just like my 1911's. I also have a CZ75B in 40 S&W that fits my hand like a glove, but has much more muzzle flip than my 40 S&W HP does. So my vote goes for the Browning HP, even though it is SA only.

Last edited:

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Another wonder 9 that I have, that is quite slim and holds 15 rounds and is SA/DA or DA only is the Browning BDM 9mm, they were only made for a few years in the 90's. 15 round magazines are hard to come by and expensive ($75), as all that were sold after 1994 were equipped with 10 round magazines.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Anybody get a chance to shoot a Grand Power K100, K100 Mk II or X-Calibur?
    They are definitely nice pistols - gotta love that rotating barrel - but don't fit the OP's definition of a WonderNine due to having a polymer frame. If we were expanding out the definition of a WonderNine to include polymer-framed pistols, I would definitely argue the IWI/IMI's short-lived Barak was probably one of the best ever made, as it was a CZ-75 with an improved dual-parallel-spring recoil system and a top-side decocker button.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    They are definitely nice pistols - gotta love that rotating barrel - but don't fit the OP's definition of a WonderNine due to having a polymer frame. If we were expanding out the definition of a WonderNine to include polymer-framed pistols, I would definitely argue the IWI/IMI's short-lived Barak was probably one of the best ever made, as it was a CZ-75 with an improved dual-parallel-spring recoil system and a top-side decocker button.

The Grand Powers are steel frames with polymer grip panels per the OEM specs so it does classify as a Wonder Nine.

DeadeyeJack

Supporter of Freedom
    Sep 13, 2009
    Dixie
    S & W 5900 & 5906.
    5900 was a bit finicky, had to send it in to S & W for repair. It was returned with a new hammer which does not allow the shooter to cock it.
    The 5906 is a beast. I keep my eyes open in case one ever turns up in the local shops.

DeadeyeJack

Supporter of Freedom
    Sep 13, 2009
    Dixie
    S & W 5900 & 5906.
    5900 was a bit finicky, had to send it in to S & W for repair. It was returned with a new hammer which does not allow the shooter to cock it.
    The 5906 is a beast. I keep my eyes open in case one ever turns up in the local shops.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    The Steyr GB was probably my least favorite of the Wonder Nines.
    Mine had a habit of gassing me right in the face when I fired it. Accuracy was so-so for a service pistol but I just never warmed-up to it ...

Interesting - I have never had an issue with gas blowing back in my face, my functions perfectly. If mine were blowing gass in my face than I probably would sell it, so I don't blame you.

I will say it's big and it's not "sexy". The CZ75 (e.g.) looks much nicer. Hell - my P1 looks much nicer. I will also say for all the complexity of the gas brake, yes it shoots softer than other 9mm's but the difference is not striking.

You have me wondering about the trigger pull; I'll have to check.

I don't know - all in all it's well made and shoots well for me at least.

I have no plans to cerakote it lime green ;)

EDIT: The GB is actually LIGHTER THAN THE Beretta M9. Unloaded; GB 30 ounces, M9 34 ounces.

EDIT2: Trigger pull SA is 6.5 lbs; DA is probably like 12 lbs and stacks. SA pull is nice and crisp. For comparison; my CZ 75 SA pull is 4.5 lbs, DA maybe 9 or 10. The CZ 75 (that I have at least) has a lot of trigger creep.

Last edited:

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    I think you missed the previous post where I mentioned that I also owned a Steyr GB in the mid-80's?
    I don't think it registered because I've never seen one in real life, nor do my memory banks have the image stored with the model. But since you posted the video I make the connection.:thumbsup:

The Steyr GB was probably my least favorite of the Wonder Nines. It was a huge pistol with an 18+1 magazine capacity and weighed about 3lbs fully loaded. DA trigger-pull was in the 11-12lbs range; SA about 6lbs. It was by no means designed to be a precision-shooting target gun. ... Mine had a habit of gassing me right in the face when I fired it. Accuracy was so-so for a service pistol but I just never warmed-up to it the same way I did my Walther P88, Sig P226, and CZ-75. I put about 300 rounds thru it before selling it to get something else.
    Yeah, but now that I watched the videos, I can at least see why DreadPirate likes it. As heavy and klunky as it looks at first blush, there is a beauty about it. If I had a shot at one for $250 or so, I'd buy it. As great as the Browning High Power is, the single action is a bit on the high side.

To the present generation, the steel guns of the past must feel like anchors, and I can understand that. But cold steel guns are a part of the appeal. But as the Greeks say, “All things in moderation!" I love my Ruger Security-Six and Speed-Six revolvers, but not the GP-100 and the single-spring, underlug magnums. I'm willing to lug the "6" series of magnums, but not the S&W 686s or Ruger GPs.

Ted76 said:
    I used to own a S&W 659...ut it was so heavy, that it felt like a brick. I sold it to buy my 1st Browning HP.

I'd like to measure the weight of the HP with 12 shots and compare it with a S&W 659 with 12 shots. I have a nice holster for my 659 and I don't find my 659 to be horribly burdensome. A lot of it depends on what people like and what they feel comfortable with. (I'm amazed so many people still love the Colt 1911, yet I don't question it because I know the effects of beauty, craftsmanship and nostalgia.) My dad, when he was a kid, wanted a Remington 34 .22LR in the worst way. He lacked only four dollars, which his father scrounged up. In the 80s (way before the Internet), I tracked one of these rifles down, had it blued and fixed up and gave it to him for his birthday, and it was the best gift I ever gave him. So people are, for whatever reason, drawn to things they had in the past. I wanted a S&W 59 years ago, so I overlook the fact that my 659 is a brick :envy:.

I hate to think it, but the young folks of this generation will most likely be pining away for a mint Glock 19 when they get a bit long in the tooth!

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I'd like to measure the weight of the HP with 12 shots and compare it with a S&W 659 with 12 shots. I have a nice holster for my 659 and I don't find my 659 to be horribly burdensome.

I'll try to weigh a HP for you tomorrow evening ... with 12 rounds loaded and also with a full mag of 14.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Interesting - I have never had an issue with gas blowing back in my face, my functions perfectly. If mine were blowing gass in my face than I probably would sell it, so I don't blame you.

I will say it's big and it's not "sexy". The CZ75 (e.g.) looks much nicer. Hell - my P1 looks much nicer. I will also say for all the complexity of the gas brake, yes it shoots softer than other 9mm's but the difference is not striking.

You have me wondering about the trigger pull; I'll have to check.

I don't know - all in all it's well made and shoots well for me at least.

I have no plans to cerakote it lime green ;)

EDIT: The GB is actually LIGHTER THAN THE Beretta M9. Unloaded; GB 30 ounces, M9 34 ounces.

EDIT2: Trigger pull SA is 6.5 lbs; DA is probably like 12 lbs and stacks. SA pull is nice and crisp. For comparison; my CZ 75 SA pull is 4.5 lbs, DA maybe 9 or 10. The CZ 75 (that I have at least) has a lot of trigger creep.

I thought the Steyr GB was cool enough during the Summer of 1986 to order one and wait nearly a month to get it. By then, though, I was spoiled by the Sig P220 and P226. When I got the GB, it was completely underwhelming compared to those West German-built Sigs. They were ungodly. They shot so well I didn't want to shoot anything else.

When I look closely at the video of the guy shooting his GB, it seems to me like there's some blowback, especially on that last shot...or is it just me? I remember being surprised to feel it hit my face. Good thing I was wearing shooting glasses. I thought it was just the ammo I was using but I tried several different brands and had the same results. One thing I will say, the GB sure wasn't picky about ammo. It shot everything with gusto.

Those weights of those SA and DA trigger-pulls sound about right. Nothing to write home about but well within the acceptable range for a service pistol meant to put a lot of rounds on-target very quickly. The factory trigger on a standard CZ-75 B (as opposed to a BD) isn't much better but, install a Cajun Gun Works pro-package and it turns into a completely different animal.

The GB was like everything Steyr builds: extremely well-made, uniquely designed...and absolutely no aftermarket whatsodamnever in the way of holsters, magazines, etc. ;)

I like all of the older all steel semi-autos, not just wonder nines.

I have the same problem. It's an illness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom