• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChrissyN

Apr 5, 2013
    Westminster, Maryland
    Hey all,

I'm still new to this group. I have been shooting a while, been around guns my whole life. However, I sometimes find that, as a woman, I have trouble handling bigger guns. I was just wondering, if fellow ladies out there, have had similar problems and IF they have found ways to overcome it. I have an AR and an FAL w/bipod (which was my solution for that)... I've been told I look like a chicken when I shoot certain guns b/c I get my right elbow pointing out. Thoughts? Coping mechanisms? Techniques?

Thanks!

Chrissy

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    welcome to the club crissy. post two here is not a rude question as many different "body types" have to adjust to the ergonomics of the particular firearm being used. for example, my wife is petite and cannot comfortably shoot any of my long guns. additional to that, she has a neck like a giraffe, and cheeking any of my guns without any added cheek rests makes it impossible for her to be comfortable, even with an adjustable stock. don't worry about how you look, just so long as you are comfortable and can remain consistent in accuracy for the duration you intend to shoot. if you find certain positions to be fatiguing in a short period of time, experiment with changes that are best suited for YOU, not the opinion of someone else. best of luck and again, welcome to the shooting sport!

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Hey all,

I'm still new to this group. I have been shooting a while, been around guns my whole life. However, I sometimes find that, as a woman, I have trouble handling bigger guns. I was just wondering, if fellow ladies out there, have had similar problems and IF they have found ways to overcome it. I have an AR and an FAL w/bipod (which was my solution for that)... I've been told I look like a chicken when I shoot certain guns b/c I get my right elbow pointing out. Thoughts? Coping mechanisms? Techniques?

Thanks!

Chrissy

Hi Chrissy,

I have similar issues, but haven't been accused of looking like a chicken for my hold... Maybe people are just being polite. :)

Am very short (4'11), with small hands and arthritis on top of that...

Not sure what kind of guns you have trouble with, sounds like you have found firearms that are comfortable for you. I find rifles much more of a comfort zone, but am making a serious attempt to become proficient with handguns. This undertaking is quite a challenge, but is empowering enough to undertake. Recoil is my main concern. So I basically am willing to have a little more firearm weight to counteract the recoil.

What I do is abstain when a gun doesn't feel right. If I can't open the slide or hold it up long enough to get a good sight picture, I simply pass. There is no shame for me in admitting a particular firearm isn't my thing. And no one has ever tried to either. Nothing wrong with knowing your limits.

My philosophy is I would rather feel comfortable and competent with a little gun than have to play in big leagues and often joke about needing peewee guns.

A hit with a little caliber is better than a miss with a big one. ;)

If you like, we could go to the range sometime and have a peewee day.

*** The US Government can plead the 5th amendment against We the People in the People's House? What??? ***

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I’m a guy, not a girl, but I'm not really large handed so I don't think its hand size that is causing your troubles. Might it be posture? I ask because depending on what position you're shooting in the way to a good comfortable position may be how you stand, sit or kneel.
    Standing many feel the need to face dead square on to the target. This puts your whole upper body, shoulders & arms all off kilter. In reality you should be standing at about a 45-degree angle, for example.
    Another thing I see females doing way more than males is leaning backwards from the waist if shooting from a standing position. I don't know why, but it seems a gender-related thing.

A bit general, but without some more info on exactly where your problems that’s about all I can offer. Maybe if you have someone else take a few pictures of where you're having a problem we could help you out better by correcting specific items?

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Welcome from the flatlands. A first person lesson would probably serve you well so that the Instructor can see what is going on. Here is the thread for Firearms Training in the Indsutry Partner section - http://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129

Good Luck and safe,fun shooting!

You may want to contact PSKRYJA. She is an NRA Certified instructor with B&S Personal Safety and Firearms Education and the NRA Women On Target Clinic Director for Monumental Rifle and Pistol Club.

She hosts informal clinics open to all women shooters and is always willing to help out women shooters. I know she has meet with a few of the members here for some quick lessons.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Welcome Chrissy! Not quite sure how you're defining "bigger" guns. Weight? Length? Recoil?

Well, whichever it is, or whatever combination of the above perhaps, suffice it to say that there's absolutely and positively a gun out there that will fit YOUR needs, and will work really well for you. You'll find it! Keep at it!

There's nothing gender specific about likes and dislikes when it comes to firearms. Everyone has their own personal preferences when it comes to firearms. Come to think of it, it's not really any different than why they make chocolate and vanilla. You develop those preferences and you make those distinctions over time only by trying as many as you can. So have fun with it, and good luck!

rustyrustic

Mar 7, 2013
    If you're talking about rifles or shotguns, have you measured the length of pull? Most long guns are designed for men, who generally have longer arms. You might need the stock cut down for a better fit.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Welcome . It's kind of hard to diagnose over the internet. But as mentioned proper fit is important , and a good instructor/ coach can diagnose , and offer alternatives of stance and technique. A good instructor be they male or female can offer assistance to shooters of various size, build , and physical condition , be they male or female..
    If you care to share what area you live / shoot someone will probably be able to assist you.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Hi Chrissy,

I have similar issues, but haven't been accused of looking like a chicken for my hold... Maybe people are just being polite. :)

Am very short (4'11), with small hands and arthritis on top of that...

Not sure what kind of guns you have trouble with, sounds like you have found firearms that are comfortable for you. I find rifles much more of a comfort zone, but am making a serious attempt to become proficient with handguns. This undertaking is quite a challenge, but is empowering enough to undertake. Recoil is my main concern. So I basically am willing to have a little more firearm weight to counteract the recoil.

What I do is abstain when a gun doesn't feel right. If I can't open the slide or hold it up long enough to get a good sight picture, I simply pass. There is no shame for me in admitting a particular firearm isn't my thing. And no one has ever tried to either. Nothing wrong with knowing your limits.

My philosophy is I would rather feel comfortable and competent with a little gun than have to play in big leagues and often joke about needing peewee guns.

A hit with a little caliber is better than a miss with a big one. ;)

If you like, we could go to the range sometime and have a peewee day.

*** The US Government can plead the 5th amendment against We the People in the People's House? What??? ***

Hi Chrissy, and welcome to this madness.

ShallNotInfringe is one of my students and what she posted above is very true. As a matter of fact, I had her at the range (Mayberry) today helping her with form and proficiency with her new peewee gun, Ruger SP101 in .38 special. She did quite well with it especially considering today was only her second time shooting a handgun with a qualified and certified instructor, actually I was proud of her progress. If she chimes back in here, I'll let her tell you what her experience today was like.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013

ShallNotInfringe is one of my students and what she posted above is very true. As a matter of fact, I had her at the range (Mayberry) today helping her with form and proficiency with her new peewee gun, Ruger SP101 in .38 special. She did quite well with it especially considering today was only her second time shooting a handgun with a qualified and certified instructor, actually I was proud of her progress. If she chimes back in here, I'll let her tell you what her experience today was like.

Lou, you are simply the best!!! Nothing like having a instructor show ya how to do it right. Makes all the difference!

Maybe you could honor us with your presence if I put together a peewee at the range day. :D

Could you imagine Lou with a bunch of little people? What a sight that would be....

Anyway, what we did today was start with .22, then .38, then 9mm, then (gay) .40, then .45. I actually liked the .45 better than the .40. But the wide grips just don't work for me.

I try to use the same form no matter what caliber I am shooting. Getting the stance right is a big challenge, but has a huge effect on how well the shot goes. Getting my hand wrapped around the grip properly also makes a big difference. I think being little actually forces us to need all of the proper form more, because it helps us in the physics department. Watching bigger folks, they can almost bull their way around and be fine.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown

Lou is a damn good instructor (and friend). I was with him and SNI today at Mayberry and my confidence level with my pistol went up 80%. Just remember the biggest obstacle in training is ego. I set aside mine and asked Lou for help cause I sucked at pistol but now I'm (at least marginal) and could defend myself and my family with a pistol if necessary.

whitelightning777

May 20, 2013
    gun fitment

Hey all,

Thanks!

Chrissy

I would suggest getting a collapsible butt stock for both. The FAL might take longer then the AR due to there being more AR and AK parts out there. Limb saver makes good recoil buffers, which slip on the butt stock with no special tools.

Adding a muzzle brake is also important.

I realize I'm not a female, but it sounds like a bit of gun smithing is in order. Once the gun physically fits then you have to add a sling and practice.

ChrissyN

Apr 5, 2013
    Westminster, Maryland
    Thanks for the tips. To answer a few questions, I am average build. About 5'6, average weight. The picture on here is actually me... I have an AR that was built to be lighter. I think weight tends to be my biggest problem. Recoil isn't an issue, but my arms getting tired or guns being too long. So I am mostly just trying to find out if there are different ways to hold/position my body when using rifles that would compensate for a lack of strength.
    Thanks all!!!

PS: I don't take offense so I didn't find any Qs above rude ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom