• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunAddict

GunAddict
    Apr 15, 2009
    St. Mary's
    Well I have decided that I am going to buy up as much 7.62x39 ammo as my budget will allow me. Found some good deals on both Wolf ammo as well as Brown Bear. I will be shooting it from my SKS, and an AK-47 once I cave and buy one. I've shot both kinds before and never had any problems with either kind. What is everyone else's opinion on this matter?

a81lp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 15, 2008
    cabellas has a special right now on wolf 7.62x39 $119 for 500 rds

GunAddict

GunAddict
    Apr 15, 2009
    St. Mary's
    where at, share the wealth

Oh I just keep my ear to the wall :D Plus it helps to have military contacts all over the US who know what a gun addict I am :gun1: :evilgrin3:gun2::gun7:

Besides, if I tell all of you, how am I going to single handily wipe out the entire supply of 7.62x39?

GunAddict

GunAddict
    Apr 15, 2009
    St. Mary's
    Fine Fine. I'll cave. A friend in AL knows someone who is selling 1k rounds of Wolf Military classic for $200 (not including tax or shipping)

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Havent really compared the 7.62 but the brown bear .223 is head and shoulders over Wolf in the same grain. Much more conistent and I believe even cleaner burning. All Russian but different manufacturer and specs?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Wolf and Brown Bear are comparable products from different Russian factories. Silver Bear is a more upscale product line from same mfg as the Brown. Wolf's "Military Classsic" line is made in the former Yugoslavia.

Last edited:

HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    it's getting shot through an ak.....who cares? go w/ what's available

FWIW, I shot wolf thru my WASR, shoots good enough for an AK

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Wolf, Brown Bear, Silver Bear, Golden Bear, and the corresponding "Tiger" line are all made at the Ulyanovsk manufacturing plant.

Wolf is definitely the dirtiest of them, but to be honest I really don't clean my AK's very often anyway. And the rare occasions when the early '50 Tula SKS goes out, it gets cleaned even if I only put 10 rounds of handloads through it.

I just buy whatever's cheapest at the time. I shoot in volume, might as well buy in same. ;)

Onua

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2008
    Carroll County
    i was going to say, I dont remember AK's being very picky on their diet. but then again I don't believe any gun should be selective on ammo if you intend to shoot it alot (save match guns)

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Only improvement brownbear silver or gold have is the zinc or brass plated case. Actually a fairly nice improvement in an AR so you dont have to worry about cleaning the chamber of laquer.

To be honest only in the 5.56 do I get selective, my 7.62 AKs shoot whatever is cheapest.

Last edited:

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    ...Wolf's "Military Classsic" line is made in the former Yugoslavia.

You're thinking of "Wolf Gold" (brass case, berdan primed) which is made at Prvi Partizan, Serbia.

I believe Wolf Military Classic is made at Ulyanovsk, Russia while "Performace" (black box) is made at Tula (i might have those backwards)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom